Chapter. 30

I drum my fingers against the lather wheel while humming some tune from the back of my mind. The sun was streaming down at my face through the panoramic window making me squint eyes from unwanted light.

My heart was beating loudly in my throat making me hard to breathe. Damn you, Lacy. Since when my little sister got some sense in that huge head of hers? I don't remember her being wise or even talking more than a few words in a sentence or let alone talk about feelings. She changed and I need to know why. I have to wait for a perfect moment to interrogate her.

Don't run.

These two words have been swarming for the past hour as I sat inside this expensive car waiting for Andrea. It sucks... I admit to myself that running was my to-do thing when everything gets hard and complicated. Why? Become I'm scared. I'm scared of feelings, I'm scared of opening myself to someone new and who have the potential to break me even more than I'm already am.

Andrea makes me want to run, but at the same time hug her and never let her go because she's the reason I can stop breathing... she's making me feel alive and last time I felt this... stupid feeling, I got fucked by my lovely wife. It was both of faults, me being constantly out for work, rarely coming home... but that doesn't mean she can cheat on someone she swears to love until death does us apart.

"Hey," I snapped out of my thoughts when a hand was waving in front of my face. "You alright? You were in deep thoughts there."

I turn my head to the brown hair girl with a small smile playing on her pink lips making my heart flutter. I tried to smile but fail miserably when the thought of those three fucking words echoed in my head making my heart double speed. Get a grip Maverick, you have to deal with it.

"Sorry... how long you've been sitting down here?" I asked swallowing the lump in my throat.

"I just came... you alright?" She asked again inching her face closer from mine.

I close eyes turning my head to the window, but not before I saw hurt crossing Andrea's futures. My heart clench and stomach filled with regret. I really need to get a grip on my feelings... or else I would do something stop and regret for the rest of my life.

I didn't answer for green-eyes girl just turn key bringing engine to life and start driving, but not back to the city. I can feel Andrea burning gaze at my side and I had to do everything in my power to ignore things. I know my silence might be hurting her and it's hurting myself... but I can't look at her eyes or I just spill my whole feelings to her.

I don't want that right now.

I don't wanna ruin everything even if I know I'm already ruining giving her cold shoulder.

I narrowed my eyes when my phone started buzzing. I saw from the corner of my eye Andrea glancing from the window at it with questionable expression. I sighed and saw Natalie's name written on it. What does she want this time? Last time I got a call from her, she asked to come and talk with her... we didn't talk, just argued about the same thing we always did.

I close eyes for a second and reached out to pick it up. "Natalie?"

I heard a tired sight out of relief escaping her lips before she spoke silently. "Maverick, thank god you picked up... I know you're at work... and... and I shouldn't call you,-"

"Just tell what it is this time," I cut her rambling off with eye roll.

"Leo... I got a call from work and the babysitter couldn't come... I don't have where to leave him," She spoke calmly making me gulp. "I thought maybe you could take him... it's just for a day, please Mave."