Chapter 12

He took my hand and helped me out of the Jeep. His hands were soft and big. Cody grabbed his basket and led us to the middle of the small field next to the park. Cody dug in his basket and pulled out a red and white checkered blanket. No one has ever done something like this for me, and I felt really special. He laid the blanket down and started unpacking food. I could feel a smile creeping on the edges of my lips. I quickly hid it and sat down next to him. What is this boy doing to me? As I sit down he looks up at me. I'm suddenly aware of how hot and sweaty I am. It was around five but that sun still hadn't gone down and it was in the high eighty's. The black sweatshirt I was wearing was going to give me a heat stroke. I also enjoyed wearing it though because it smelt like Cody. I notice that he is staring at me and so I look back at him. For a few seconds we do nothing but stare into each other's eyes. His beautiful blue orbs mesmerized me. He sighed and looked down. Why was he sighing? Did I do something? I grew more self conscious. All the food he had set out looked really good. There were sandwiches and a pasta salad. There's no way he could have made all this.

"Did your mom make this?" I asked. He looked up and laughed.

"No, I did," he said, almost praising himself.

"Really?" I asked him because I didn't believe it. He nodded his head but then looked down again. He obviously wanted to say something but was scared.

"What" I said plainly.

"Huh?"

"You obviously want to say something, just say it" I said, getting it all out in one breath. He was probably going to comment on how my makeup was uneven or how I still smelt like weed. Instead he just looked at me, his eyes didn't look sad but more concerned.

"When I got to your house your mom told me some things" he said slowly, never leaving my eyes. What did she tell him?! Oh I'm going to kill that woman. I looked down scared, not knowing what was coming next.

"What did she tell you?" I said, still looking down so he couldn't see the tears welling up in my eyes.

"She told me about your dad," he said. Once it was in the air I could breath. I felt his fingers lifting my chin up and I let him. I let the tears fall down my face silently.

"I'm sorry" I squeaked. He looked at me like I was insane. Probably because I was.

"What are you sorry for! You haven't done anything but fight" he said and I could see worry tint his eyes. The way he said that made it sound true. I tried to wipe away a tear but it was no use. It was so bloody hot in this hoodie. Hell, he already knows so what am I trying to hide from him. I slowly take off his hoodie revealing my plain white tank top. The scars from my dad raced on my arms. I saw him look at me and then down at my arms. He graciously took my hands in his and turned my arm over to look at everything.

I was letting tears stream down my face. He looked back up at me and I saw that his eyes were red. He pulled me closer to him and I followed. He wrapped his large arms around me and held me in a hug. I buried my face in his neck and continued crying. This boy is something else. I've never shown emotion like this before. He continued to hold me tight as if he let go I would fall apart.

I let his hug consume me. What happens after this? I opened up to Simon and he stabbed me in the back. Is Cody going to do the same thing? I suddenly feel my breathing get really heavy. I pull away from Cody and try to get air to go into my lungs. Worry flashes across Cody's face.

"Are you okay?" he asks, putting his hand on my back.

"You're just going to hurt me" I cry through breaths. Codys face expression changes like he realizes what's going on.

"Fable, never in a million years would I hurt you. I know other people have hurt you. I just want to make you happy over everyone else" Cody says pulling me back into the hug. My breathing calms down. Even if he is lying I can let myself be happy in this moment.