Chapter 4 (Cody's pov)

Cody's POV

I don't think she's realized that our windows face each other yet. When I got home I went to my room where I looked out my window and saw Fable walk into her room and slam the door. She grabbed her shiny brown hair in her hands and slowly sank down the door. Sitting on the floor and crying. Seeing tears roll down her face was almost tear jerking for me. Something was definitely wrong, I wonder what had happened. Watching the most beautiful girl I've ever seen in my entire life fall apart was devastating. I wanted so badly to take her in my arms, and comfort her, easing her pain away. Whenever I used to cry my father would tell me suck it up. Why didn't he understand that I just wanted him to tell me that its okay to be sad. My mother has always done that. Supported me in my emotions, but I still do miss my dad.

A couple minutes later I saw Fable stand up and look at her hands. She shakes her head to herself and walks to her desk. Her stance is shaky unlike when I see her at school. She holds herself with pride and respect. I'm starting to think that it was a false sense of esteem. I wasn't trying to stalk her. I was just really curious about the girl who refuses to even try to give me a chance. She is so gorgeous and I could tell that she wanted to talk to me, but something was stopping her. But what? I watched as she took the paper out of her backpack that I had put in there earlier and unfold it. I was almost certain she would pick up her phone, but instead she disregarded it and put it on her nightstand. She then continued to do her homework. I thought that was a clever way to give her my number. Im almost offended she hasn't text me. Does she know how scary it was to sit next to her?

All I want right now is for her to open up to me. I know she desperately needs someone. I wish she would let me be her friend. I want to hold her and tell her its going to be okay. Ive never been so drawn to someone. Her personality is strong and bold, and so enticing to learn more about. I watched as she started taking notes and then left my window.

I walked downstairs and ran into Mikey at the bottom. He was running around the corner hiding something behind his back.

"Hey there Bean, what are you hiding?" I asked laughing when he ran into my legs. He stared up at me and his eyes grew three sizes. He knew he had been caught.

"Nothing," he smiled and tried to walk past me. I grabbed his arm and nudged it in front of him. He was holding a cookie in his hand.

"Please dont tell mom" he started tearing up. I missed when the worst thing I could get in trouble for was taking a cookie to my room.

"I wont tell mom, but make sure you dont leave any crumbs." I said sternly. He smiled with all his teeth and then ran upstairs.

I made my way to the front door and headed outside. I got in my car and started to drive. I dont know where I was going, but I know I wanted to go.

I ended up making my way to the park. I am still new to town so I don't know where everything is. I parked my car, and walked onto the grass. The sun was setting over the mountains. A painting of red was strewn across the sky. The sunsets in California were a lot different then the ones here. I found myself sitting on the grass. It was cold compared to the warm air. I took a moment to close my eyes and just feel the Earth around me. I think sometimes I get lost trying to fit into society. Its important to me to take moments like this to myself. When I found out my Dad was a hitman, I didnt know what to do. The days following I was so lost. I remember when we got to Colorado. I sat in our new backyard. Just breathing the air. Knowing that no matter what happens with my family, the ground will always be under my feet.

I wonder why Fable is so distant? I know someone has hurt her, but I just want to know who. I know that Jackson has physically harmed her, and that today wasn't the first day that it had happened. She seemed mad that I had helped her. I think that someone else hurt her emotionally. Shes a tough girl, and I know that she can take a hit to the face. Taking a hit to the heart is different though. I can see in the way Fable acts that her heart is hurt. I know it because its how mine feels. Maybe shes just been going through it a lot longer than I have. My life just changed not even a month ago.

Thinking of the idea that someone hurt Fable makes me furious. I realized that I had pulled the grass out of the ground and was crushing it in my fists.

I get back in my car and drive back home. My mother informs me that dinner will be ready in a few minutes. I walk up to my room. Looking out the window I see Fable sitting on her bed, it looks like shes working on homework. Then she gets off her bed and walks out of her room. I walk downstairs and eat dinner with my family. The entire time I cant get Fable Adair out of my head.