Chapter 14

It made me feel so warm inside to be with the White Family. When we were done Michelle asked the boys to clean up because she wanted to talk to me. We went to the living room and sat down. I had a huge pit in my stomach. Did I do something? Was I in trouble? She smiled when we sat down and took my hands. It took everything in me not to flinch.

"Don't be mad but Cody told me about your living situation" she said in her soft motherly tone.

"Okay" I said quietly, I wasn't quite sure what I should say. I also wasnt mad at Cody liek I had been mad at Simon earlier. Maybe it was wrong of me to be mad at Simon.

"Look honey, I know I haven't known you that long but honestly I feel like you're one of my kids. You have my phone number and if you ever EVER! Want to talk, I'm here for you." She said in a quiet voice so the boys in the next room wouldn't hear.

"I love you so much," I said as I hugged her. She hugged me back and then we went to help the boys.

When I left the White's house I walked to my house. Opening the door I didn't see anyone so I took this as my chance to bolt upstairs. Once safely in my room I lock the door and crawl into bed. I suddenly realize that I'm still wearing Cody's black hoodie. I snuggle into my bed and let the warmth engulf me. I close my eyes and sleep, for the first time in years.

The next morning was good. I walked down stairs after getting dressed and doing my hair in a long braid. Ignoring my mother as she tries to talk to me, I head out the door. It was a warm morning and I knew that I was going to be hot all day in my long sleeve blue shirt. I sighed and continued to the bus stop. The bus pulled up as soon as I arrived at the stop sign. Cody greeted me with a smile. We rode together on the bus but neither one of us talked much. I wonder why he wasn't talking to me. Did I do something? He probably just thought I was fragile now that he knows? The anger fumes inside of me as I thought this. I hate when people look at me differently, and I knew this was going to happen. Simon has been the only person to look at me the same. I was gonna ask Cody about not talking to me but then we pulled up at the school. I got even more angry as I walked inside the school. I can't believe he would do this to me!

I was angrily grabbing my books when I fist hit the locker next to mine. Causing me to jump and let out a small squeak. I look over to see Michelle in all her glory. If she wasn't so two faced I would actually call her pretty. She had blonde hair that fell just past her shoulders and her blue eyes twinkle. It's really just the scowl she gives me that makes her ugly. I face her and smile. I can't let her see how much she actually gets to me. I see that a small crowd of people have gathered around us. I also see Cody sulking in the shadows near the doors. My attention turns back to Michelle.

"Can I help you" I spit at her. Her scowl grows deeper.

"Yes actually, Fable you can" she says my name like poison dripping off her tongue.

"Anything for the queen" I say, glaring and making fun of her.

"Stay away from my man" she says as she takes a step closer. I laugh out loud. Everyone knows she's had a crush on Cody since he came here months ago. I decide that I'm already too angry to let her walk on me.

"Michelle, no one cares about your pathetic love life. No one cares that you're rude and intolerable. No one cares about your games" I say the last part slowly so she can clearly understand me. She's shocked and before she can recover I walk past her, and of course I bump her shoulder in purpose.

The rest of the day was horrible. Cody still hasn't spoken to me, but the few times we did make eye contact he would smile and look away. That shady, two faced jerk. People stared at me all day obviously they still had to recover from this morning's brawl. I rolled my eyes and just prayed for the day to end.