Chapter 21

Kill me. Kill me before the headache does. I woke up with such a bad hangover I could barely move. I grabbed my phone from my nightstand and saw that it was already one in the afternoon. Fabulous. I crawled out of bed slowly so as to not wake the demons in my head. I grab aspirin from my nightstand and gulp it down with no water. I'm wearing baggy black pants and a deep red tank top. It would be super comfy if my head didn't feel like it was going to explode.

I take a cold shower which helps with the headache. I haven't seen my parents today and the cars not in the driveway. I brush out my long hair and then blow dry it. Applying dark makeup and putting on my converse. I don't have anything to do today except be mad at Cody.

He made me feel so special, so wanted, and so loved. Now I just feel used, angry, and regretful. It's my fault for being weak. This is why I cant let people in. Except maybe Simon.

I was cleaning up my room when I heard the doorbell ring. I sat there for a minute debating if I wanted to answer it. Then it rang again, I guess they really wanted to talk to me. I walked downstairs and opened the door. I wanted to shut it right in his face when I saw Cody standing there.

"Leave me the hell alone" I spat at him about to close the door. I could hardly read his expression. It looked so sad but after I said that he looked angry.

"You're not gonna let me explain?" he said. I saw his eyes getting watery. I do not do tears, this has to end.

"No explanation needed please get away from me" I said trying to close the door again but he put his hand on it. I saw his eyes turn angry as he looked at me. As if he's the one that gets to be angry right now.

"My mom wants to hang out with you," he growled. Then he spun around and stomped back to the house. Wow he didn't even come over here to talk to me. He was just running errands for his mom. What more did I expect? I liked his mom though, I would love to hang out with her. It bothered me a little bit that he got angry at me. Ive never really seen him like that and it made me want to cry. I remind myself that he isnt worth the tears.

I ran upstairs and grabbed my phone and practically skipped out the door. Me and Cody's mom have a really nice understanding, we both love each other a lot. She was standing in her driveway waiting for me and smiled when I skipped her way.

"You seem happy," she giggled.

"Just excited to be hanging out with my mom" I smiled. She opened the car door and gestures for me to get in. So I do.

"I was thinking we could go get ice cream at the mall," she says. Pulling out of the driveway.

"Who am I to turn down ice cream?" We drove to the mall, I know she wanted to talk about what happened with Cody but she wasn't bringing it up.

"So I guess you've heard me and Cody aren't together" I say looking down at my ice cream. She looks at me and sighs.

"It's not my place to tell you, but I really think you should let him explain," she said, taking a bite of rocky road. I bet she's only saying that because she's his mom. I don't respond and continue to eat my ice cream.

"That's actually not what I wanted to talk to you about" she states. I look up and see her staring at me. I give her a questioning look. She sets down her frozen goodness and grabs me hands.

"I really wanted to talk to you about your mom and dad" I practically cringe at her sentence.

"What about em" I mumble.

"Did you know I was adopted?" She says. I did not. Her words take me by surprise. I look at her and signal with my eyes to keep going.

"I hated my adoptive parents. Dan was a heroin addict and Lucy had a drinking problem. I hated them so much, I rebelled and always would sneak out and scream at them" she said starting to get tears in her eyes.

"They both passed away in a boating accident when I was seventeen. My biggest regret is never giving them a chance to explain. Never listening to their story's" she says. I could feel a tear roll down my face.

"I know your mom's insane and your dad has a lot of issues, but Fable please for the life of me give them a chance" she says squeezing my hand. I nodded my head. We probably both looked really weird crying in the middle of the food court, but we didn't care.

We finished our ice cream and then headed home. We had a nice conversation about turtles. When I arrived home I automatically noticed the car in the driveway. They were home. I straightened my back and pushed back my shoulders as I walked in. I walked cautiously to the living room and found them. They were both sitting on one of the couches watching a TV show. I could feel their eyes on me as I sat on the couch opposite of them. I didn't say anything and cuddled with myself watching the TV. They looked at each other and then back at me. I decided I couldn't stand them staring at me so I got up and walked to the kitchen. I could still feel their peering eyes on me. I opened the fridge, the first thing I noticed was that there was no alcohol, only drinks were milk and orange juice. The fridge had all sorts of tasty looking food in it. I grabbed a cookbook off the shelf and flipped through the sticky pages.

I stopped on a page that said easy stroganoff. About an hour later I had finished making the dish. Mom and Dad never took their eyes off me the entire time. Like seriously a little privacy. I'm not that pretty you don't have to stare. I put the noodles into three separate bowls and then set them on the dining room table. I looked back over to the living room. Why did they look like I was going to kill them?

"Dinner is ready," I said. I swear I saw my dad almost jump at my words. My mom pats his leg and then slowly gets up. My dad took cautionary steps behind her.

"Please stop staring at me," I asked. They immediately turned their attention away. They both sat in a chair and looked at the food. I took a bite from my bowl. Not bad, I complimented myself. They both took shakey spoonfuls and are some. The looks on their faces told me they didn't hate it.

After the very awkward dinner I headed up to my room. I was still very mad at Cody. For some reason today I couldn't stop thinking about Simon. His thick red hair, and his soft lips. I had an idea that would be a win win. Get back at Cody, and make myself happy at the same time. I grabbed my phone and unlocked it. I simply text Simon the words wanna be my boyfriend" and then I wait. Not very long though a few seconds later he responds with the word "yes."