Chapter 5

I woke up the next morning and could feel the drowsy feeling making its way across my body. I don't want to wake up, I never do. When I wake up I have to realize the world that I'm in, and the life that I live. I swing my legs out from bed. Running my hands through my hair and detangling it I slowly stood up.

Thank goodness it was the weekend I won't have to deal with school for two more days. I walked out of my room into the hallway where the bathroom was across from my room. I locked the door behind me as I went in. I look into the mirror and sigh. I wouldn't call myself ugly, but I don't love the way I look. There was a small scab on my forehead from the bottle yesterday. I cleaned up the wound by rubbing alcohol and then changed into clothes. I wore my ripped black skinny jeans. I also chose my yellow twenty one pilots shirt. I combed my hair out and left it hanging down my back because I didn't have the energy to put it up. I used my makeup to cover my forehead and then put on dark eyeshadow so it wouldn't look suspicious. I then walked back to my room and slipped on my converse ready to start the day. I walked down the stairs slowly to see my dad passed out on the couch in the living room. His gray sleeveless shirt had stains all over it, and looked like it hadn't been washed for weeks. Being drunk is one thing, but also not caring about personal hygiene I mean come on.

Before my mom had left he was actually a pretty good dad. We would go watch movies, and sing songs in the car. We were friends with the neighbors and would throw small get-togethers. I pushed the memory and hurried out the front door, grabbing my shoulder bag on the way out. I walked down the sidewalk and the road to get to town. It wasn't far from where I live a twenty minute walk at the most. I have a job at an ice cream parlor so I had a few extra dollars to spare. I needed some new shoes because my Converse were getting very worn out. I didnt have my license because you need a parent to sign for you. When I had asked my dad he told me I wasn't his daughter and he couldn't sign the paper. It hurt when your dad was so drunk he forgets youre his daughter.

When I arrived in town there weren't many people around. Which was nice because it would mean less people for me to run into. I walked into Walmart and grabbed a small cart. I made my way through all the isles picking up some hygiene products I needed and then made my way to the clothing aisle. When I got to the aisle I paused before entering. I saw the dark haired boy that lived across the street looking at the shoes. I was about to turn around and leave before he stopped me.

"Hey Fable," he said grinning. He knew he had caught me, and for some reason this brought him joy. I was slightly annoyed that I would have to talk to him now.

"Cody," I responded as I walked into the aisle. We were both in front of the converse section. I watched him grab a size ten low top while I grabbed the size seven high tops box.

"What are you up to today?" he asked, trying to start a conversation.

I held up the box in my hands and responded "getting shoes." He was about to say something else but a person entering the aisle stopped him. She had short strawberry blonde hair and big green eyes.

"Cody we still need to get bread and-" she stopped when she saw he was talking to me. Cody looked uncomfortable with the situation, he looked down and his hands and coughed.

"Oh sorry honey I didn't realize" she said in an apolitical tone. His smile returned fast. Why were his teeth so white? I made a mental note to make fun of him later for getting called honey by his mom. It was actually really sweet but I have to use everything I can against him.

"That's alright mom, this is Fable she's our neighbor" Cody explained to his mom. His mom's face brightened up as she smiled, I realized her and Cody have the same smile. All straight teeth and small dimples.

"I'm Michelle," she said, putting out her hand. Great now I have no choice but to act happy so I can put in a good impression.

"Hello Mrs. White, I'm Fable Adair" I responded by making a small smile appear on my face. Over the years I have learned that if you're nice to people it will help you out later.

"Oh please, just Michelle you'll make me sound old using Mrs." she laughed. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Cody laughing too. Not saying hes cute but his smile makes him look like a movie star.

"Well it's very nice to meet you Michelle" I said, keeping a smile. Michelle looked at Cody for a second and then back at me.

"Why don't you and your family come for dinner tonight?" she asked. I paused for a moment before answering. It would be rude if I said no but I seriously doubt that my dad would come.

"Umm, maybe we can make that work. What time?" I asked her, hopefully it didn't sound like a promise.

"How about five?"

"That sounds lovely, I'll see you then" I said starting to walk down the aisle. I could feel Cody's eyes on my back as I left the isle. I wanted to turn around and say stop staring at me creep but I didn't for the sake of everyone's feelings.