the best

The next event was pretty uneventful. Hitoshi and I as anyone would expect teamed up. He brainwashed some people including Ojiro which was unfortunate but it's not like he should really mind, he was basically getting a free ride.

But apparently he didn't see it that way and decide right after to forfeit along with another kid Hitoshi brainwashed. I felt people look at me and Hitoshi, specifically Ojiro who seemed to look at me with disgust which is always fun.

The next event was the one I was worried about, the one on one. I didn't pay much attention to what Midnight was saying and instead was just watching out for the list for the battles. It was nerve racking. I don't want to fight Hitoshi but my life plays out as some story a fangirl writes while lying in bed.

"Y/n you alright?" I heard Hitoshi say to me. I looked up at him. He deserves to be in the hero course unlike some of my other classmates.

"Yeah I'm fine just nervous," I said looking down at my feet "I don't really want to fight you."

"Well there are 20 people left, which means that there's a 1/19 chance of us having to-"

"L/n vs Shinsou!" We heard Midnight say into the mic. I felt my heart break. I looked over at him as spoke quietly "you were saying about 1/17 chance?"

Hitoshi looked over at me and then back onto the floor. Well as a protagonist my life is riddled with bad luck and events that only seem to happen in fanfiction.

I ran up to the announcer box. My fight was the 3rd fight of the first round so I had time to wallow and complain to my dad.

"Dad!" I said while opening the door. Yamada and my dad turned around to look at me.

"Shouldn't you be preparing for your fight?" My dad questioned. "Yeah but I needed-"

"Grapes? I got those. Granola? Is that what you wanted? Or maybe a whole jar of peanut butter?" Yamada interrupted me while throwing various types of foods my way.

"Thanks but that's not why I came here for I need advice." I said as I opened the package of granola.

"You're going to fight Shinsou but you don't want to right?" My dad asked. I took a bite from the granola and nodded. "Well, try to plan the fight. You know like how in wrestling they stage everything but they're still fighting." Yamada said as I finished off my granola. "Or you can forfeit." My dad said.

"If I forfeit how am I going to get an internship?" I asked my dad. "I'll be your mentor." He said with a shrug.

"You can't really mentor me while you're broken, no offense." I said and ate some grapes. "Thanks for the advice guys, good luck with commentary." I said and gave a quick peck on my dad's head before I left.

I ate the peanut butter as best I could as I watched the current fight, some kid named Takusan was fighting against Jincent who had a crap ton of inventions strapped on her waist. One including what appeared to be a mini grenade launcher.

"So you'll be up against him." I looked beside me to see Ojiro. "Yep." I said quickly. I took another scoop of peanut butter from the jar.

I could feel my heart beating fast out of sheer anxiety. I'm just hoping for the best.