Prologue

Just a little disclaimer, Myungsoo is Minho, and Jinsun is Jisung -- their names are similar on purpose ;p

1855

Quickened breaths and pounding footsteps filled the silent halls of the Crimson Castle – the home of the Vampire King. The moon was high in the sky, a beautiful, perfect crescent that escaped Park Myungsoo's eyes. Despite the still night, he knew it would result in bloodshed.

There was no other way this night could end.

Tears blurred his vision and he stumbled, his rapid reflexes catching him before he had the chance to fall. He shook his head, clearing his eyes. He had to get to him, before he did.

He hurried down the steps leading into the dungeons, leading into the only way out of the palace, apart from the front gates. His lips nearly curled back in disgust as he raced by his betrothed's men, and their vile, blood-stained mouths. The poor human prisoners they'd been feasting on lay limp at their sides, and, so entranced by their meal, they did not notice him as he passed.

Oh, how they would pay for that later, as soon as he found out.

He pushed all thoughts aside, focusing on one thing, and one thing only; reaching his lover, the light of his life, the heart of his heart, before his betrothed did.

If he was too late... he shook himself and again cleared his head. Now was not the time for doubts. He broke through a patch of darkly coloured trees, and into a small clearing. His chest rose and fell, an indicator of his effort, and he didn't doubt that his eyes were wide and panicked.

Kim Jinsun leapt to his feet, his face already creasing in worry. He peered over his shoulder, nose twitching. He was close. Myungsoo threw himself into his lover's arms, and the sting in his eyes only increased. "He... He's coming," he whispered, and Jinsun nodded, eyes focused on the trees behind them.

"We don't have much time. We can – we can run." His eyes were pleading as he clutched his lover's arms, bunching the fabric of his thin sleeves in his hands. Jinsun looked down at him, lips pressed in a straight, thin line, something unusual for him, and he shook his head.

"It's too late." A twig snapped somewhere nearby, and Myungsoo gasped, his grip on his lover's arms tightening; he refused to look at anything but his lover's face. He did not doubt that it would be the last thing he saw, either.

The air behind them stirred, and what was not there a moment before, now was. "I did not want to believe it. Not at first." The voice was quiet, and yet strong. The voice of the Vampire King. The voice of Bang Chan.

Jinsun's eyes focused steadily on the pale man with eyes of dancing crimson. His face was cold, angry, and even the werewolf lord tensed under such a gaze, though he did not show his fear. He tore his eyes away from the man, staring straight into his lover's eyes. "Go," he mumbled softly, forcing the vampire's grip off his shoulders.

Myungsoo's eyes widened in turn, and he shook his head. "No. No. I'm not going to run away while you... you face..." He swallowed thickly, the words dying in his throat. Chan laughed behind them; it was a frozen, bitter laugh.

"Even if you bought him enough time to leave the city," he gestured slowly to the woods around them, "do you really think I would never find him?" His lips stretched into a cruel, bloodless smile. "He bears my mark, and therefore he is mine."

Jinsun growled, a low guttural sound that came from deep in his throat, and Myungsoo could almost feel the mark he spoke of burn on his neck. He stepped in front of the werewolf, whose eyes had already begun to glow golden, the pupils dilated, forcing a small smile.

"If he takes us, at least he will take us... together," he whispered, and Jinsun's eyes snapped to his, the gold-flecked within them beautiful. It was one of the most beautiful things he'd ever seen. "My only regret is that we could not spend eternity together." Chan's eyes flared and he let out a growl of his own.

Jinsun smiled now, nodding determinedly. He would not cry, because he needed to remain strong. "If you kill us," he started slowly, "you will plunge both our peoples into war." There was no speculation; it was the truth, and all three knew it as nothing but.

Chan smiled. "So be it."

This night, was the night that changed the course of history. The night that closed the door on a lovers' tale, and opened a new one. One of war, and of death.

This night, the moon was painted red, and the war between vampires and werewolves, began.

A/N: Tbh my jam when it comes to writing this fic is old soft rock love songs -- I'm a rocker, what can I say. PERFECT OSTs, ngl 

ALSO! I'm bAAAACk! I hope you enjoy this Minsung fic ;) it's been in my repertoire of novel ideas for a few years now, and when I thought of it as a Minsung fanfic I was like yES. It might be a bit complicated, but as long as you remember who Myungsoo and Jinsun are, you'll be fine XDD To be honest, I was a bit scared of posting this because it's been so long since I posted something, and I'm just biting my nails nervously as I hover over the publish button

Q: What's the theme song for this story?

A: Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Taylor -- don't fight me.

Lots of love,

~Junnie