Chapter Eight

Jisung groaned, burning pain flaring from his side. He clutched it, body trembling, and he cried out when he was met with soft, unmarred flesh. His face paling, he slowly sat up, despite the blinding ache slowly spreading through his entire body at the movement, numbing his limbs.

He was alone in a white room; the pack infirmary? He squeezed his eyes shut and massaged the bridge of his nose, gently swinging his feet over the bed. He could barely remember what had happened; all he knew was that there was a vampire in his house. After that, it was all a blur.

His eyes widened and he stumbled out of the bed. His legs gave way beneath him and he crashed to the ground. He had to alert his father, the pack, that there was a vampire within the borders–

Someone burst into the room, and he looked up, surprised to see Alpha Dongwook standing in the doorway. He sighed, running a hand down his face as he crouched down and easily picked up Jisung; he was too weak to resist.

"There's – there was a vampire in the–" Dongwook held up a hand and nodded.

"I know. You killed it." Jisung's eyebrows furrowed.

"I did?" He couldn't keep the confusion from his voice, and Dongwook nodded as he placed him back down on the bed, pulling the blankets up to cover him.

"Yes. I'm very proud of you." He sat down in the chair at Jisung's bedside, and the boy blinked, quite obviously shocked. Before he could say anything, Dongwook threaded his hands together and looked at him with a grim frown. "However... you won't be able to shift for a long while.

Jisung's eyes widened. "What but that's–"

"You would have died, Jisung." The boy shut his mouth, staring up at the alpha with wide eyes. "You were lucky Grand Wizard Moonsoo was here when he was. He managed to transfer you wound onto your wolf." His fists clenched. "But if you shift before it's healed, boy... it'll come back. And this time he won't be able to save you."

Jisung's eyes flickered downwards. "But isn't the Hunt soon?" he mumbled, and Dongwook nodded with a sigh.

"It is. But there's always next year." He patted his shoulder. "Let's get you to your room."

~#~#~#~#~#~

"Don't you ever scare me like that again, you asshole!" Felix exclaimed the moment he opened the door, and Jisung chuckled, shrugging his shoulders nonchalantly. He was propped up against some pillows because even though the wound wasn't there anymore, he could still feel it.

Felix ran into the room, nearly jumping on him as he landed on the bed at his feet. Behind him, Hyunjin entered, closing the door. He settled down next to Felix, and the three sat in silence for a few moments before Jisung looked up at them; their expressions were tense, and they exchanged hesitant glances.

"What is it?" he asked, and Felix looked up, pulling his bottom lip between his teeth.

"Well..." He trailed off nervously, and Hyunjin shifted slightly where he sat. "We don't think the Alpha told you – it probably slipped his mind – but... you've been out for four days now." He choked on air, his eyes bulging out of his head.

"Four... four days?!" he yelled, and his two friends winced and nodded. "That means..." His face paled. "The Hunt's tomorrow." They nodded and he leaned back against his pillows, frowning. He'd hoped he'd be better by then, even if it was a stupid, fruitless hope, but now...

"You can always participate next year! Don't be so down about it." Felix offered a small smile and shrugged. "And besides, you'll be coming over to my place to hang out with me and my roommates tomorrow."

His eyebrows furrowed and he shook his head. "What? No, you–"

Felix quirked a brow. "I've already decided that I won't do it this year, either. We can't just leave you alone when the pack is unguarded. For some reason, the Vampire King tried to kill you, and that's when we had patrols out looking for vampires." Jisung's eyes sank.

"I wish I could stay with you guys," Hyunjin sighed, "but I promised my nephew I'd catch him something this year." He grimaced. "And he almost threw a tantrum when I said I wasn't participating, either." Jisung laughed at that.

"That's fine; I can't ask you guys to stay though," his frown deepened, "everyone looks forward to the Hunt." He had, too. He hated that he'd have to stay behind.

Felix tutted and waved him off. "I've made up my mind. And besides, I think you'll get along with them." His smile tensed, and he turned to stare out the window, falling silent, eyes narrowed ever-so-slightly. Jisung eyed him in confusion; Felix never looked so apprehensive about anything.

He turned to stare out the window, too, before he jolted as a sudden thought struck him. Why did the Vampire King want me dead?

A/N: I picked up a book I never thought I'd read, and I'm actually enjoying it. RIP my wallet, this series is fricken huge.

Also, I was asked to volunteer at the place where I take my singing lessons and band, for a band camp for younger kids. So... for the rest of the week, I'm going to be gone for eight hours, so I might not be able to stick to daily updates, but I'll definitely try! I'm kinda anxious about going, tho... I dunno if I'm gonna know anyone there, and I hate being in unfamiliar situations alone. Oh well, I'll pull through somehow XD

Q: What was the last song you sang along to?

A: What About Us by Pink. Fricken lOVE that song mannn

Lots of love,

~Junnie