Chapter Sixty

1854

The night was dark, the moon high in the sky, blindingly white, a sharp contrast against the sky. Myungsoo stared up at the moon, lips upturned in a small smile as he observed it; it was so beautiful, so radiant, so unwavering in its silent strength, even when it was surrounded by nothing but never-ending darkness.

Sometimes, he wished he could be like the moon.

His smile turned bittersweet as he turned his eyes away; he could never be so strong, so perfectly imperfect. A soft sigh left his lips as he pulled his knees up to his chest, letting his chin rest upon them.

His gaze gravitated towards another extraordinarily perplexing being – one so visible, yet so unknown. Jinsun had not yet moved from where he'd initially taken a seat next to the riverbed, back erect, dark eyes glimmering with only the faintest sheen of gold, narrowed and snapping from one dark, shadowy tree to the next.

The silence was slowly driving him insane.

"Are they..." he cleared his throat awkwardly as the words caught, "are they still out there?" Jinsun's eyes slowly slid towards him and he nodded wordlessly. Myungsoo bit the inside of his cheek, wincing as his sharp fangs protruded and cut a small, thin slice within it.

He breathed out heavily through his nose, tilting his head back to stare at the moon, all too aware of Jinsun's eyes on him. After several moments of nothing but silence, he spoke. "Are you fond of the moon?"

The question was strange, and Myungsoo's eyebrows furrowed, though he did not look away from the glowing orb in the sky. Nonetheless, he spoke, words coming easier now as his muscles relaxed. "I am."

A small smile quirked at the edges of the lord's lips as he, too, turned to stare at the moon. "So am I." Myungsoo almost snorted – it was obvious that the Werewolf Lord would be; although they were all children of the Moon Goddess, there had always been a special affinity between the wolves and she, a bond both vampires and witches had not gained.

"It is beautiful, though, isn't it?" He couldn't keep the softness from his voice; he felt so utterly disarmed there, in that moment, close to a man he knew he should not trust – and yet he did. He trusted the Werewolf Lord more than he did his own betrothed.

And that thought scared him.

Jinsun turned back towards him and their eyes met – and their eyes locked. "Indeed it is." Something stirred in Myungsoo's chest, and as much as he wanted to look away, he simply couldn't.

The wolf's eyes darkened, though he did not move – or look away, for that matter. Myungsoo swallowed thickly, suddenly feeling as though his tongue was made of sandpaper, and he was in desperate need of water, even though that was completely absurd; he hadn't needed water since he was a human.

There was something so alluring about the lord in the dim sheen of moonlight drifting upon them from the trees' bare branches. His heart drummed louder, louder still in his chest, and heat crept along the back of his neck. It was... so strange, how utterly human he felt.

He hadn't felt this way since his turning; hadn't felt so at ease, hadn't been without the constant dread forming in the pit of his stomach. He felt... normal, safe, as ridiculous as it sounded. He was with a werewolf, one who clearly had less than love for vampires, one who, with a single movement, could have him dead... and yet he felt safe.

He blinked, and they seemed to be closer than they had been before; his vision fogged and blurred, as though he'd been trapped in a spell, put in a daze he did not even want to escape. Jinsun did not seem to protest as they grew closer, again.

The pull was almost too great, and, perhaps even stranger than anything else in that beautiful, moonlit moment, Myungsoo did no mind it; rather, he wanted to get closer still, to stare into those dark, half-lidded eyes for beyond eternity.

All thoughts of the man he was set to Mate, of his duties and responsibilities as future King, fell from his mind as though by a stroke of blissful ignorance, nimble hands working to let him surrender himself to this moment – and he did.

His breath caught in his throat as he found himself much closer to the werewolf than he would have thought; their closeness reassured him. His eyes drifted, only to snap back up again; when his eyes met Jinsun's, they were different.

Gone was the cautious nature, the hard edges of his face, the serious gleam in his eyes; they were all replaced by one thing that sent butterflies cascading into Myungsoo's stomach, and he dared not think it.

He barely even noticed that they were alone, just the two, in a single patch of undisturbed moonlight breaking through their enclosure of trees. His hands – trembling, trembling, what a human thing – as they slowly rose to settle on the hard planes of Jinsun's chest.

The werewolf's chest rose and fell steadily, even though there was an obvious fight to control it; sparks flew across the eyes that turned a warm shade of gold, though it did not kindle any sort of fear or caution; it was enchanting. Jinsun succumbed to his battle, both of them did, really – and yet Myungsoo could not bring himself to be upset at his loss.

Their lips met in a kiss.

A/N: I actually love stories about writers, and I kinda wanna write one now, I have too many options, and I'm losing it because my imagination is scattered evERYWHERE (ask me all the types of stories I wanna write. A S K.)

Q: Would you ever consider writing a story in which one of the SKZ members is a serial killer? Is it already in the works? (courtesy of 441NINE

A: I feel like I'm the type of writer who could, essentially, write anything as long as I'm having fun (which isn't very hard for me, tbh I am easily entertained). But, no, as of this moment I do not have any such work in process. Let me know if you'd like to see something like that on my account in the comments (because I'd totally be down to try)!

Lots of love,

~Junnie