Chapter Eighteen

Jisung observed their surroundings as much as possible as he was shoved along, deeper into the woods. The Moon Pack's Alpha – Insik, his name was – wore a content sneer now, and Jisung realized with some confusion that they were heading towards his pack.

It was ridiculous in and of itself; kidnapping a member from another pack, and then walking right into their territory... it did not bode well. He eyed Insik from the corner of his narrowed eyes and continued to observe.

Jeongin was far behind him, flanked by two big, bulky wolves, and he had the decent sense to look terrified. It was a bit ironic, how two wolves scared him, but one red-eyed vampire didn't. However, he still wouldn't leave the boy, even if he was handed back over to Alpha Dongwook.

The real question was, though... what price would he ask for in return?

Given the direction they were going, he could only assume it had something to do with his pack. He couldn't let them hurt any of his packmates. No, he wouldn't.

He peered over his shoulder at Jeongin, then down at his side, then back up again. The boy caught his eye and nodded slightly; it was just an inclination of the head, nothing that would draw too much attention, but he still caught it.

He sucked in a deep, steadying breath, counting the number of wolves around them. Twenty. He knew there were more somewhere around there, but if he and Jeongin could make a break for it to his pack, and get there before the others knew what hit them... If he was going to be the alpha of his pack one day, he had to be able to do at least this.

He wouldn't let them down again.

He was lucky they hadn't tied him up in silver, or the situation would've been much worse. Then again, they wouldn't have been able to tie him up without hurting themselves, either. They probably didn't think he was brave enough – or stupid enough, really – to try and escape.

The two wolves flanking him weren't quite so big, and if they didn't Shift, he was sure he could take them quickly. Alright, here goes nothing. He leapt to the side, Shifting quicker than he ever had before. He knocked the man down, using him as a springboard to launch himself at the second, ripping out his throat.

He hated the coppery taste of blood in his mouth and how it matted his fur, but he did not allow himself the time to feel sick over what he'd done. They had attacked him first. He sprang for the first man who was only now getting up with a growl, and quickly disposed of him, too.

Insik whirled around, eyes blazing in fury, but Jisung had already attacked the wolves holding Jeongin. Now, though, all the other wolves around them had Shifted, including Alpha Insik. He howled, and Jisung did not doubt that he was calling his reinforcements.

Jeongin, face pale, threw his hands out, eyes flashing bright green as he threw two wolves heading towards them aside. The wolf wished he could speak to Jeongin, but in his current state, he could not. He picked up the boy by the back of his shirt, flinging him onto his back.

Jeongin gasped, clutching his fur as he broke out into his fastest sprint. He was faster than most wolves once Shifted; Alpha Dongwook often said he must have had alpha blood in his veins. He peered over his shoulder and saw at least fifty wolves filling in behind him, running and growling.

He pushed his legs faster, as fast as he possibly could. Jeongin adjusted himself, turning so that he sat facing the incoming wolves. His eyes retained their dazzling, unnatural colour, and the ground rumbled beneath them.

It threw the wolves off balance, but it did not affect him. He did not stop to ask questions, focusing only on avoiding any obstacles that might slow their speed. And then he made it, crossing over his pack border.

All at once, his consciousness registered all the wolves of his pack, bright dots on a map in his mind, and he would have grinned had he been in human form.

"Alpha!" He reached out to all of them at once. "The Moon Pack is–" He did not have the time to finish his sentence when Jeongin cried out. He howled as they were tackled by a large mass of black fur. From the scarring, he easily knew who it was. However, just like that, all the dots on the map started moving towards him simultaneously.

All he had to do was stall. He kicked the alpha off and skidded back a few steps. He nudged Jeongin slightly, who slid off his back, stumbling. His heart hammered in his chest as he and Insik circled one another, teeth bared in a snarl.

The man lunged, and Jisung leapt to meet him. He latched onto his neck, ignoring the pain in his own as they fell back to the ground, a mass of skirmishing fur and flashing teeth. His packmates were getting closer, but still not close enough.

Jeongin surveyed the others, making sure they would not attack while he was fighting; he seemed almost strangely familiar with werewolf laws. Perhaps he was interested in that sort of thing.

Insik jumped away, crouched low, ready to pounce whenever the occasion arose. Jisung had not yet completed his training; he knew he would not stand a chance against an alpha for long. Especially not one so weathered and cruel.

They continued to attack and defend, attack and defend, and he was bleeding, but he knew that Insik was bleeding, too. He wasn't sure if he could last much longer; he was exhausted but the other wolf did not seem quite so winded.

Insik lunged, and Jisung was just a bit too slow to avoid it completely. However, before he could land, another wolf, a bigger wolf, intercepted him. Jisung almost yipped for joy, like he would have if he were a pup.

Dongwook growled at Insik, and just then more wolves emerged from the forest, charging towards the ones forming the circle. He nearly collapsed from relief. However, his mind sharpened when he saw one of his packmates heading straight towards Jeongin, teeth bared.

The boy's back faced him as he observed the battle in awe, and Jisung's eyes widened. He broke out into a run despite the injuries he'd acquired during his fight with Insik. He jumped, over Jeongin's head and down behind him.

The wizard whirled around with wide eyes, and his packmate slowed, eyeing him in confusion. Jisung shook his head and stepped a little closer to the boy. The wolf grunted but bypassed him to attack someone else.

Soon, all the wolves had been immobilized, either knocked out or killed – he didn't really want to know – and Alpha Dongwook stormed towards him. He flinched as the man Shifted back into his human form, and he followed suit, bowing his head; he was ready for whatever scolding he was about to receive.

Dongwook seized him by the shoulders and he looked up. "You scared me, boy. You need to stop getting yourself into trouble." He jumped when the Alpha pulled him in for a quick hug; he was not used to receiving such affection from the man.

Patting his shoulders, Dongwook turned back towards Insik, who knelt in the grass surrounded by his fallen pack members, breaths ragged, chest heaving. "Don't ever attack my pack again, Insik. Or we won't leave anyone alive." The two men glared at one another.

Insik's fists curled in the grass. "You'll regret this," he hissed, and Dongwook looked over his shoulder at him, his expression cold.

"No, I don't believe I will."

Insik glared after them even when they were no longer in view.

A/N: Thoughts? Thank you for 2k!

Q: When was the last time you stayed up through the entire night?

A: DRUMROLL PLEASE..... n e v e r =) the latest I've stayed up is like 5 am, and that was because I had insomnia that one night, like I was just not sleeping, even if I was tired. It was weird asf, man, but it never happened again (which I am very thankful for, because I am indeed a morning person)

Lots of love,

~Junnie