Chapter Fifty-One

1854

Myungsoo blinked, jaw gaping as he stared at his betrothed. His eyes darted between both he and the Werewolf Lord, who stood rigidly before them all, hands tucked behind his back. There had been a joviality to his face when they'd first met, one that had been replaced by something much more sombre.

His brown eyes surveyed them both, almost wearily, and Myungsoo found himself averting his eyes. The two men stared, and he held his breath; they almost seemed to be challenging one another – who would look away first?

As he shifted anxiously, Chan's eyes snapped to him from where he sat on his crimson throne. "What do you think, my love?" He hesitantly looked over at the King, staring at him with wide eyes.

He turned his attention towards the ground before his eyes flitted over to the lord, then back to Chan. A tense smile forced its way onto his lips. "I think it's a... wonderful idea." He really didn't. By the pleased look in Chan's eyes, though, he'd said the right thing.

He clapped his hands together and stood, Myungsoo slowly following in his movements. "Then it's settled. I truly do not enjoy this animosity between us – let us right it with a hunt. You werewolves are fond of hunts, are you not?"

Jinsun's tense expression did not falter even as he forced a smile onto his lips. "Yes, your Majesty. We do." His hands remained tucked behind his back even as they stepped down from the dais and approached him.

"Then we will leave tomorrow morning; two days should suffice, should it not?" Jinsun nodded tersely in reply. "Excellent. Myungsoo, come. We have certain matters to attend to." Myungsoo knew not of such matters, but he dared not question it, either. He cast a quick look over his shoulder at Jinsun, looking away once their eyes met.

He could only hope that this hunt would not be as much of a disaster as he was imagining it.

~#~#~#~#~#~

Myungsoo did not know the first thing about hunting; this became more than apparent as he stood awkwardly to the side as the two rulers stood side by side, eyes flashing competitively as they poised themselves, ready to strike down an innocent deer that ate grass peacefully in a clearing nearby.

In a moment, Jinsun had Shifted, startling the vampire. His eyes widened as he gazed upon the black wolf; he didn't think he'd ever seen a wolf quite so large. He was Werewolf Lord for a reason, clearly. He swallowed thickly, and in the blink of an eye, both were gone, leaving him in the dust.

Several moments later the deer was on the ground, and he nearly winced as Chan's fangs flashed, face coated in dark crimson blood. Myungsoo averted his eyes; he could never stand the sight of bloodshed.

He knew it was strange – he was a vampire, after all, but that didn't mean he had to like it. He hadn't become a vampire by choice, and his human fears still accompanied him in his immortal state, though now the sight of blood simply made him a little queasy. Such senseless slaughter... how could anyone ever enjoy such a thing?

When he looked up again, Chan was walking towards him, mouth still smeared with red blood as he dragged the dead animal behind him. Jinsun, still in his wolf form, padded across the soft forest floor behind him, though his eyes were enough indication that he was not enjoying himself; Myungsoo did not blame him.

"Where would you like our prize to go, my love?" Jinsun's eyes slid towards him, and Myungsoo shrugged, uncomfortable with the deer's blank, dead eyes staring straight up at him.

"Wherever you... want it to go." He forced a tense smile, eyes quickly leaving the deer's. "I don't know much about... hunting or things... like that." He shrugged uncomfortably, and Chan sighed with a shrug of his own, motioning for one of the vampires he'd brought with him to take it away, probably to store it for later.

Suddenly, Jinsun's head snapped up, golden eyes surveying their surroundings. Chan's eyebrows furrowed as his eyes grew red. "What is it?" Though, it was clear that there was something wrong; Myungsoo's eyes darted about their surroundings, but he could spot nothing out of the ordinary.

Suddenly, Jinsun lunged, tackling him to the ground. A startled shout escaped him as they both crashed to the ground, though his fear of the lord was short-lived as another wolf landed where he had previously been.

More wolves streamed into the clearing, coming out of nowhere; he blinked, wide eyes taking in the scene. Jinsun growled low in his throat, his eyes flashing, and Chan shouted something to the vampires present. The Vampire King whirled towards the Werewolf Lord, his fangs bared, eyes a deep crimson.

"What have you done, Kim Jinsun?" The wolf turned to face him, large body still shielding Myungsoo's from the other wolves' view. His heart pounded in his chest; Jinsun was protecting him from his own people, but why? He growled again.

What's going on?

~#~#~#~#~#~

Jinsun felt a coil of dread build in his stomach. His own wolves were rebelling against him – with the aid of rogues. Rogues. They were feral, wild creatures, abandoned and alone. They were criminals the Moon Goddess chose to spare from death.

What were they trying to accomplish here?

He knew Taewoo had spoken the truth about the Vampire King – it only grew clearer day by day. He was not interested in any Accords or peace; he'd been a fool to believe it in the first place. However...whatever the King was trying to pull, he'd have to figure it out and fast.

The Vampire King clearly did not trust him – nor did he trust the Vampire King.

Jinsun's priority had always been his people; always. He would not let some vampire tyrant rule them, break them. He would not allow it. Yet he did not want war to break out between their peoples – he had to remain civil. As the vampires faced off against the wolves, he knew this would be the future of his descendants and his people if the Accords should fail.

Perhaps the Vampire King wanted war – but he certainly did not. If they were the attacked, perhaps the witches would help them, and maybe with their help, they'd be able to win, but that weighed too heavy on a maybe. He clenched his jaw, his eyes trailing down to the Vampire King's betrothed; the Accords had to go on.

The boy was innocent – clearly, he had not been a vampire long – and yet the King seemed to adore him. It would have been easy to let his wolves kill him, break the Vampire King, fog his mind with emotion and hatred.

Yet he could not.

As the wolves charged, headed straight for Park Myungsoo, Jinsun's jaws clamped around his clothing and hoisted him onto his back. Myungsoo clutched at his fur, and his keen ears caught the hitched breaths and the erratic heartbeat in his chest; he was terrified. The wolves separated both the Vampire King and the Werewolf Lord, and, knowing he could not wait a second longer, Jinsun dashed into the nearby woods.

He'd find them again, but for now, he had to keep Park Myungsoo safe.

A/N: Thanks for 10k, guys, I love you <3

I actually wrote this chapter yesterday but it was late at night and I was hella tired so I told myself I'd just post two chapters today instead XDDD

Q: Who's your favourite character in this story?

A: If I'm completely honest, I think I'd have to say Woojin. He's a very... complex character, and his point of view is so much fun to write. I mean, I hope all my characters are complex and I love all of them, but, y'know, I have to have a favourite XD.

~Junnie