Chapter Ninety-Three

^^ This is what I listened to while writing this chapter in case you might
want 
some music to accompany ze battles

Hyunsik tore his eyes away from the Crimson Castle for a single moment to look down at his watch. Five minutes. There were only five minutes left before Jeongin was supposed to come out, if Minho succeeded. He remained perched in his tree, shielded from the sun by the thick leaves above him.

Four minutes, now.

He could hear the wolves in the near distance, the sun already close to setting. They'd get here no more than fifteen minutes after he went in, he wagered.

Three minutes.

There still wasn't any sign of them; he closed his eyes, but he felt no fear. They'd definitely try to kill him. He was Jisung's biggest asset. As long as he got Jeongin out, nothing else mattered. Because that was all that mattered.

He would live within Jeongin's heart, within his blood.

Two minutes.

Kim Hyunsik had always cared more about family than anything else, a family that he had inadvertently cursed. He opened his eyes again, a light smile playing at the edges of his lips. The tragedy that was his life had begun here, on a battlefield right in front of this castle, where everything had been taken from him. This was where the tragedy would end – no more.

He would take his own life in his hands, he would do something worthwhile with it. No more pain to those he cared for – no more lonely years that stretched into infinity.

One minute.

There still wasn't any sign of them as the seconds ticked down, one by one. The field that expanded around them was still empty, vibrant blades of grass deceiving.

Time's up.

He jumped down from his tree, landing swiftly, silently. He stared at the imposing, looming figure of the Crimson Castle and smiled, fangs flashing. This is it. The wolves were getting closer; he had to move to where Chan had instructed him to go in his letter.

The wolves would be closing in soon – he needed to hurry.

The halls were just as he remembered them, weaving in and out like a maze, dark and unwelcoming. It didn't take long for him to reach his destination – he still knew its layout like the back of his hand, having spent so many years trapped within the confines of this prison.

The halls were barren and empty; he supposed the king didn't want anyone trying to stop him by mistake and ruin his fun. Or lose several of his slaves. His fists clenched into fists as he sprinted down the haunted corridors, face set, resolved.

He paused in front of the heavy-set door, frown pulling at the edges of his lips, hands curling into tight fists at his sides before he reached out, cold hand landing on cold metal. The room was dark, but he could make out the distinct form of someone crouched on the ground, shackled by something.

The smell was unmistakable.

Hyunsik crossed the threshold on high alert, eyes glowing red, sweeping over the entirety of the room, but he seemed to be alone, apart from Jeongin who knelt in the center of the room. Chan would start playing his sick game, soon. He was an obsessive maniac – once he'd set his sights on someone, nothing would hold him back. He was lucky enough to be on the receiving end of his hatred.

The door swung shut behind him, effectively blocking out the last rays of light from the room. His blood boiled; he didn't doubt they'd kept this boy in the dark ever since they'd first captured him. He had half a mind to submit to the rage that built up in his chest.