Chapter Sixty-Five

The first thing Minho felt was calm – there was no pain, no fire in his veins as there had been during his brief moments of lucidity. He couldn't tell how long he'd been knocked out, but he didn't really care, either.

He felt... strange.

Heavy, and yet weightless. Strong, and yet weak. Strangely thirsty – yet full. Strong hands wrapped around his shoulders and he jumped, surprise overtaking him as he whirled to face the person who sat next to his bed – the speed with which he turned was dizzying; it took him a moment to gather his bearings again.

When his vision finally came into focus again – it was sharper than it had ever been, and the fineness of every little detail shocked him, too. As his sharp eyes finally took notice of who exactly it was that was holding him, his breath raced out of him – that was strange though, too; he didn't feel like he needed to breathe.

Slowly Jisung let go of his shoulders, tension bleeding out of him in waves. Minho's eyes trailed down his torso, and his stomach lurched; the wolf's shirt was in tatters, long, deep, slowly healing gashes marring his smooth, creamy skin.

There was nobody else in the room.

Dread pooled around in his stomach, a reaction much more intense than he would have expected. "Did I..." He couldn't find his words; his throat was so dry. "Did I do that?" His voice was airy even to his own ears, and Jisung merely averted his eyes, leaning over towards the nightstand to grab something.

Faster than even Minho could catch, he lashed out, hands gripping his wrists and jerking him back. Jisung toppled out of his chair at the force, turning to stare at the vampire with wide eyes. Minho abruptly let go of him, eyeing the bruises that were already starting to stain the skin there.

His breathing grew laboured, the fact that it didn't seem to do anything to calm only adding to his rapidly rising panic. He jumped away, his speed once again getting the better of him. His feet twisted and tangled together, and he crashed to the ground in a heap of rapidly moving limbs.

Jisung bounded over the bed, reaching out to help him up, but Minho was faster. His back slammed into the wall as he pressed himself against it. Hysteria crept into his voice as he spoke. "Don't come any closer!" His words quivered and dipped, lacking the necessary intimidation he would have needed to make it convincing.

He'd hurt his Mate.

He'd hurt his Mate.

He'd hurt his–

Mate.

That sent him into another fit of hysterics, his tears streaming down his face, though they burned the skin they touched. His vision clouded and turned red, and he collapsed to the ground, laughter bubbling passed his lips before he was overcome with sobs again. Something deep, and bloody, and awful welled up inside of him, but he didn't know what it was.

Jisung stared at him, wide-eyed, horrified, before he bolted out the door. Minho could vaguely hear him shouting a name, but what name was it...? Minho allowed the welcoming embrace of darkness to wash away his pain.

~#~#~#~#~#~

Jisung paced around in the hallway, his chest rising and falling quickly, shallow breaths entering and leaving. Entering and leaving. He didn't know what Hyunsik was doing in there, and as worried as he was, he felt like he didn't want to know, either.

The expression on Minho's face flashed through his mind and he paused, hands starting to tremble. He forced himself to start walking again.

He squeezed his eyes shut and shook his head; that hadn't been Minho. That had been... something entirely different. He took a deep breath, forcing his hands to still; no good would come from thinking about it, though deep down he knew it was a sight he'd never forget.

The door to his bedroom opened and he whirled towards it, his concern overwhelming any fear that had festered in his mind. Hyunsik looked, quite frankly, exhausted, despite his ethereal vampiric beauty. "Is he... is he alright?" he questioned softly, and the vampire nodded slowly.

"He is. For now, anyway. I didn't expect him to wake up so soon." He took a deep breath, easing the door shut behind him as he slumped against it. "Fledglings are always horrible to deal with. Insatiable in their hunger, wild with their new abilities. It's going to take some time before he learns to control his speed, his strength." Jisung nodded impatiently, that wasn't what he was asking, and Hyunsik knew it.

"I fed him animal blood – some rabbit I found running around outside the packhouse. It won't last long in his system. He needs... human blood to make the Transition." Although Jisung knew what would happen if he lacked such sustenance, Hyunsik stated it anyways, as though to remind him. "If he doesn't get some in his system, soon, then he'll die."

He sucked in a tight breath and massaged the creased that formed between his brows. "We can't hurt another human." Anger flared within Hyunsik's eyes, and Jisung met his glare with a challenging one of his own. "He's my Mate, he can take my blood. That should be good enough, right?"

The anger faded as quickly as it had come, panic and confusion spreading over the vampire's features. "Jisung," he said lowly, eyes wide, "you know what vampire venom does to your kind. I know what vampire venom does to your kind."

Jisung nodded, unmoving. "Yes, of course I know." He hadn't meant for it to come out as harshly as it had. "But what other choice do we have? Besides," he paused, and then shook his head, words dying in his throat.

Besides, it's my fault he's suffering in the first place.

"I'll go wait for him to wake up again."

Without another word, Jisung pushed passed the vampire, leaving him alone in the hallway.

A/N: Thoughts?

Q: How many Wattpad accounts have you had? (Courtesy of 441NINE)

A: Well... *cough* Back in like 2014/2015 when I was a 12 y/o fetus, I had this huge, huge anime phase. Huge. This phase lasted like 4 years, and I had that anime fanfiction account (it was decently popular, ngl) until I switched to this account in May of 2018. However, during that 4-year gap between my first and my current Wattpad accounts, I had two or three "side accounts". One of them was for stories I wrote with my friend (very, very cringe our friends tease us about it all the time), one for my "novels" which was under a pen name which I stopped using because yikes, and a second one for "novels" that was in my early Wattpad days. Obviously, I never posted anything on those final two accounts, and the one with my friend has been deleted. My first is still up and running, I dare you to try and find it ;)))

Lots of love,

~Emilie (god it feels weird to type that XD)