Chapter Forty-Five

"I refuse." Jisung's eyes widened as he stared at the man in shock. The wolves behind him shared confused glances; alphas never denied a challenge. It made them seem weak, and no wolf would follow a weak alpha.

"What?" Jisung's voice came out breathier than he'd intended, his surprise seeping into his tone. Yejun smirked and cackled; the sound grated against his ears. How mad was this man?

"I am no fool, dear nephew. I've heard the tales of how you single-handedly rid yourself of the Moon pack, how you survived numerous attacks from the Vampire King. It would be moronic to fight you in single combat; I don't plan to lose my life today." He shook his head, propping his hands on his hips.

Jisung's fists curled; did he have no honour? He supposed not. Rage boiled in his veins, and he knew for a fact his eyes were glowing now. "You're a coward," he hissed, and the man's smile faded at that.

"Careful, now. Wouldn't want to anger me." His own eyes flashed now.

"Then get angry." He was going to take back his father's pack – his pack. He belonged in the Sun, he knew that, but he also knew that the Riverock were his people, too. He wouldn't let them suffer under a man who had clearly lost all sense of mind.

"Jisung!" Minho shrieked, but before he could so much as look behind him, he was tackled to the ground, jaws snapping at him. His eyes widened as he tried to Shift – but could not. Unlike during the Moon pack's attack, it almost felt like his wolf refused to come out.

He tried again, but nothing happened. What is this? He managed to push off some of the wolves – his strength had not waned, at least – but they were on him again before he could so much as move, holding him down.

"Not so powerful now, are you? Shift." When nothing happened Yejun's smile turned cruel, anger burning behind his eyes. "Who's the coward now?" He hissed the words like they were venom, and Jisung began to panic.

He hadn't felt this way since he was a pup – Shifting was as natural for werewolves as breathing, and yet he could not do it. "Jisung! What're you doing?" Changbin yelled, disbelief forming in his own words.

He truly did not know what was happening, either.

~#~#~#~#~#~

Jeongin stared in shock as Jisung struggled to fight off the wolves; he couldn't understand why he wasn't Shifting. He felt no magic in the air around them – it was not the doing of Runes like the Moon pack attack.

What is it?

He could tell the wolf was trying his hardest to Shift, but he couldn't. Why can't he? His stomach twisted and tumbled, eyes darting up when wolves slowly began to advance on the trio. Jisung was their biggest asset – their entire plan revolved around him being able to Shift into his monstrous form.

If they all died now...

Changbin Shifted, baring his teeth, and Jeongin got ready to cast spells and cover Minho, his eyes flashing green, but his gaze continued to drift over towards Jisung. He bit the inside of his cheek; this was Alpha Junha's son. Kind Alpha Junha, who had never done anything to hurt him.

He clenched his jaw, shaking his head. He couldn't. As much as he wanted to. Changbin charged into the swarm of wolves – there were a lot of them. Too many for a lone wolf to take down, even with magical support.

Jeongin got rid of as many as he could, but his magic could only reach so far in this state. When he heard Jisung yell, his concentration broke as he looked at him again. A silver blade had been plunged into his side, and Alpha Yejun loomed over him, relishing in his misery.