Chapter Twenty-One

1854

Myungsoo sighed, staring wistfully out the window, towards the green grass of a flower field leading into deep, dense woods. He was not permitted to exit the castle without approval from his promised, or alone, for that matter.

It made sense, and he understood why, even if he wasn't too happy about it. Rogues wolves had been spotted lurking about, intent on disrupting the peace and treaties their lord was trying to settle, and vampires were not quite a trustworthy lot, either. He knew that the only person he could trust was Moonsoo, and no one else.

He peered down at the silver necklace dangling from his neck, and he clutched it, continuing to stare deep within the confines of the forest, as though he would be able to see something through the veil of darkness cast upon it.

Below, the ground rumbled. He looked up, confused as to what the sudden noise could have possibly been. As he returned his gaze out the window his eyes widened as he noticed the throng of wolves streaming out of the forest, towards the castle.

The ground shuddered again, and he was on his feet, eyes darting around his room. The sound of fighting in the hallway outside his bedchamber met his ears, and he stared at his door. Already? There was a shout, and several growls echoing in response.

Although he was not weak, he was no Red-Eye, either; he would not be able to fight that many wolves – especially if they were experienced fighters, which they clearly were – and come out of it alive. He stared intently at his door, and heard the wolves rushing down the hall, attacking the next unsuspecting vampire.

They were travelling in packs – albeit small ones; this was a coordinated attack. He wondered if Jinsun was in on it, and frowned; the man had seemed so trustworthy and sincere, and he truly did not want to think that he would do such a thing. If anything, he'd hoped to have at least one more friend in this castle.

He opened his door and stepped outside; if he could reach the throne room, or even the meeting room, he was sure to run into someone there. Perhaps most would have called him a coward, for refusing to fight; he was not brave, he knew that much. He valued his life over his courage, truly.

He dashed down the hallway, arriving in only a handful of seconds. What he was greeted with was terrifying, to say the least. Wolves and vampires, too many to count, fought, snarling and snapping and lunging. He could not understand how this had happened; what had the guards positioned outside been doing when the swarm arrived? How could so many wolves enter the castle without drawing up any notice until it was already too late?

Again his mind drifted to Jinsun, and he cringed. Deciding not to stay where he was for a moment longer, he continued to run down the hall, hoping to avoid any wolves. However, it seemed that wherever he went, there were wolves and vampires, fighting, dying.

Eventually, he found himself at a dead-end. He cursed under his breath and whirled around, only to be met with four vicious wolves, slowly stalking towards him. His eyes widened. He would not be able to fight all four at once; they'd tear him apart.

His eyes darted about the hallway, but there were only rooms, undoubtedly locked. Perhaps he could outrun them; not likely. Wolves, once Shifted, were on par with vampire speed, and there were more of them; he'd have to fight them, but how?

Werewolves always fought better in packs.

They were getting too close, now; panic began to seize his throat, filling him up, desperation clawing at his chest. He had heard what they'd done to that vampire outside his room; would they do that to him, too?

He backed away, his back now pressed up against the wall; they blocked any possible escape route, now, filling up the width of the hallway. One growled, a majestic wolf with fur as white as snow, and took a few more steps forward, cornering him.