Chapter Sixty-Three

A tense moment of silence coursed through the room as everyone fell silent, all eyes swerving to stare right at the Alpha. He met Hyunsik's eyes, eyebrows furrowed, conflict already brewing within those soft brown eyes of his. His voice was gruff when he spoke. "... How?"

Minho anxiously stared between the three, eagerly awaiting Hyunsik's answer; perhaps... perhaps he could help somehow. Perhaps he would be able to save Felix, and right what he'd done wrong.

"We'd have to transfer the curse, the venom." Hyunsik's voice was low as he said it, almost reluctant.

Jisung's eyes darkened as he shook his head. "No. No, we can't... we can't do that to an innocent, we can't take someone's life away." He paused, only to shake his head once more. Minho's breath caught in his throat.

"Werewolves have a five percent survival rate, Jisung. Five. A human has... ninety-five." Hyunsik's jaw clenched, though there was no blame, no loathing present as he looked at Jisung. "And even if he were to survive, things could go... very wrong." A cloud drifted over his face, a haunting memory he desperately tried to contain.

He took several steps forward until he was within arm's reach from the wolf, and his hands clamped down on his shoulders, lips set in a sorrowful frown. "It's a hard decision, Jisung, but..." He sighed, eyes growing more somber. "It's the life of your friend, versus the life of a stranger."

Jisung pulled away, as though the thought repulsed him, and Minho watched him, growing more and more anxious, throat drying up. His blood roared in his ears as he gnawed on his bottom lip. If he said no, Felix would... Felix would die.

"It's not right." Changbin abruptly stood, eyes glowing golden, and Jisung took a commanding step forward, and though Minho could not see his face, he knew his eyes were golden now, too. He bit down on his lip harder, so hard he thought he might've drawn blood, but he didn't really feel it, too lost in the growing haze around his mind.

"What isn't right is that Felix... Felix is dying, when all he did was protect someone. That he could have been saved if I'd just beaten your sorry ass instead of helping you. That's what isn't right, Alpha." Changbin spat the words as though they burned his tongue, and Minho's eyes widened, and he didn't miss the way Jisung recoiled.

Minho took hesitant steps forward, though nobody seemed to notice his movements, too enraptured with their conversation. The expression on Jisung's face sent a bolt of fear straight through him – he'd never seen him look so... serious. So... angry.

His eyes blazed with more than just molten gold, his jaw set, eyes hard; it wasn't even directed at him and goosebumps rose up on his arms, but Changbin stood his ground, matching Jisung's look with his own intensity.

"Besides," Changbin's voice was softer now, though no less intense, "the human wouldn't die. They'd just be... changed."

These words wouldn't be enough to persuade the wolf, though – it was obvious. None of them could do anything about it if he Commanded them, and Minho knew it would have to come to that. Jisung was too good to ever let an innocent human be forced into becoming a vampire.

He knew it.

Hyunsik's quiet gasp tore them from one another, and in moments the vampire reappeared next to Felix's bed. Minho's face paled as blood streamed from his nose, his chest barely falling anymore; what was worse – the blood was thicker, darker than it should have been.

"SHIT!" Hyunsik's roar startled all of them, it even managed to wake Jeongin with a start. His eyes were wide and panicked, agony flickering within them. "We don't have time anymore! I'd say... five minutes, at most." He ran a hand through his hair and Changbin collapsed in the chair, gripping Felix's hand with astounding strength, knuckles turning white.