Chapter Fifty-Six

Jisung whirled towards the doors, golden eyes flashing; he hadn't even smelled them arrive, but there they were, seven wolves streaming in. The first – he knew it was Hyunjin, and he couldn't help the relief that spread through him like a rapid fire – lunged at the hybrid that had thrown itself towards Jeongin.

He seemed to recognize who the hybrid huddled around Minho was, since he didn't attack, though he did look rather weary.

As Jisung surveyed the battlefield, counting down the seconds until Chan retrieved his dagger – he was deliberately taking his time –, it only grew more apparent that it would be difficult for them to fight the hybrids – there was absolutely no way they could win.

Just like there was absolutely no way he could win against the Vampire King. They had to get out of there, quickly. He disliked the fact that they had to leave Hyunsik behind, but there was simply put no other option. They couldn't afford it; their plan had fallen through, and all they could do was retreat, regroup, and figure something out.

As long as they got Felix out.

Jisung barrelled across the throne room that was now a battlefield. Changbin was fighting a nearby hybrid, though he wasn't too far from his injured Mate. Jisung skidded to a halt beside Felix, breathing out in relief as he noticed the slow, shallow breaths that came out of his friend.

They were still breaths.

He gently picked him up by the collar of his clothes and draped him over his back. The ground was already coated with blood, and he knew one of his packmates had died, judging by the unmoving wolf sprawled across the ground.

Anger boiled in his veins, and he called them all. "Let's GO!" Jeongin forced Minho onto his back, and they all rushed right out of the throne room. There were vampires waiting for them outside, and Jisung's vision clouded over with red for a moment.

He cast a quick look over his shoulder at the throne room – Chan was vexed, though he didn't appear to be worried that they would get away. Cocky bastard. Jisung quickly averted his gaze back to where he was headed, Felix a dead weight on his back, though it was nothing he couldn't handle.

Something nagged at him, though, only growing stronger and stronger the further he got from the throne room. Soon they were outside again, and the intensity grew along with the fresh air. His eyes narrowed; it didn't feel right to leave Hyunsik behind; he would be dead if it weren't for the vampire.

Not to mention, who knew what had happened to him; he took a quick look over at Felix, and his rage only grew. If they were willing to do such a thing to a hostage, what about a prisoner who'd betrayed them?

He took a deep breath.

He turned to Changbin just as the wolf ran passed past him, passing Felix over. "I'll catch up with you later!" They all turned to him with wide eyes, but, for the first time since he'd become Alpha, he used the Alpha's Command – there was nothing they could do about it.

Hyunjin was the most defiant, but even the Beta couldn't resist a Command. He knew he'd never hear the end of it when he caught up, but it was easier this way. Besides, he still had one more person to retrieve.

~#~#~#~#~#~

The commotion up above caught Hyunsik's attention, as did the comforting taste of blood in his mouth, down his throat. They'd fed him – of course they had. The King's little experiment couldn't wither away. He'd tried many times before, but somehow Chan had always managed to find a way to keep him on this Earth.

His strength seemed to come back in a whirlwind, his previous daze gone, the fog muddling his mind vanishing. He continued his act of weakness, the other vampires glancing at one another, anxiety and worry drifting between them.

When he felt that his energy was as high as it could get – really, it would take a handful of days to recover from his starvation – he sat up straight, grabbing the two by the back of theirs necks and smashing their heads together.

They fell to the ground, dark blood trickling from the small wounds on their foreheads. A twinge of guilt coursed through him, but he shook his head, walking right out the open cell door, locking it shut behind him.

He had something to get before he got out; and now there was the perfect distraction.

It wasn't hard to creep around, his footfalls silent against the cold stone floor. He blended with the shadows that lurked about every corner of this hallway, for once glad that Chan insisted on keeping it so dark all the time.

Though, it was strange how little vampires there were; he supposed they were all up there fighting. He swallowed back his worry; Jeongin and Jisung could handle most of them, he was sure. He could feel the hybrid's presence, and he forced himself to continue, not to turn tail and make a beeline for him.

He didn't know if he'd ever get another chance like this. He crept beside the throne room, catching a quick glance of Chan sitting in his throne, talking to someone hidden in the shadows. From the strange, thick magic that plagued the area, he could only assume who it was, but the battle still sounded close enough that it would keep the King and his lapdog busy – Jisung definitely wasn't someone to underestimate.

He was surprised by the lack of guards stationed outside of the King's bedchambers; he would have thought that there would at least be some to keep his treasure hidden. Then again, he probably didn't think anyone else knew about his treasure.

But Hyunsik had been lying in wait, planning his revenge for centuries.

The King's room was grotesquely luxurious, crimson curtains draped over large, arched windows gold lining the walls in intricate patterns. Hyunsik wrinkled his nose, shaking his head for a bare moment before he walked over towards a wall, carefully crafted to blend in with its surroundings, but it wasn't like the others in this room.

He felt around for a handful of moments before he finally found what he was looking for, lips curling in a grin. He pushed down, and the wall drew back just in time to match one of the explosions; they were outside, now. The wall folded inwards to reveal a small, candlelit room.

With a quick look over his shoulder, Hyunsik stepped into the room. The wall swung closed silently behind him.

A/N: I'm starting to think that this story is gonna be even longer than my novel's first draft-- also, y'all, I got my dream part-time job!! My orientation is Thursday, and I'm so hyped, like I get to work in a bookstore and it's really close to my house UGH it's perfect, knock on wood that I don't screw it up *^*

Q: What's a new song you discovered that you're suddenly obsessed with?

A: 18 (? I think that's what it's called) by Harry Styles

Lots of love,

~Junnie