Chapter Thirty-Two

The area outside the packhouse was in utter chaos. He'd never known the Moon pack had such strong numbers behind them; where had they kept them hidden this whole time? Jisung gasped as he dodged out of the way of one of the werewolves that came flying.

His eyes widened; why couldn't he Shift? He tried again, but excruciating pain raked through him as soon as he attempted it; he cried out, legs giving way beneath him. He collapsed to the ground, his trembling arms supporting him. As he observed his fellow packmates, they were all in human form. What's going on?

Alpha Dongwook ran in from somewhere within the woods, some of his strongest warriors behind him. His face was the epitome of cold fury; Jisung realized with a start that even he wasn't Shifted.

It had to be magic, but what...

"The only plausible answer is that whoever this is... they're a witch and vampire hybrid."

Jisung's eyes widened when he recalled Seungmin's words. Then, if that was who had set up these runes to keep them from Shifting, whatever they were... His fists clenched; the Vampire King was behind it? And the Moon pack sided with him?

Rage boiled in his veins, and he stood quickly, ducking below another incoming wolf. Using the momentum his body took, he kicked the wolf flat in the side, sending him flying across the battlefield. Even if he wasn't Shifted, he was still stronger than a normal human.

As all the wolves of the Sun pack arrived on the battlefield, he knew the real battle was only just beginning. With a deep breath he threw himself into the fray.

~#~#~#~#~#~

Grand Wizard Moonsoo closed his eyes; the sound of fighting and bloodshed reached them, even within the old, dusty library. Seungmin sat in a chair, eyebrows furrowed.

"We should not involve ourselves in matters of Wolves, you know that, Seungmin." The red-haired male nodded as he bowed his head.

"I do, Grand Wizard, forgive me. I just..." He grimaced. "I want to help them." Dare he say he even considered Jisung his friend. Hyunjin, not so much – that boy was beyond aggravating.

Grand Wizard Moonsoo smiled and nodded. "I was like you once, you know. I once partook in things that should not have concerned the Order of Magic."

Seungmin looked up at his teacher, eyebrows furrowed. "What do you mean?" Grand Wizard Moonsoo was the voice of reason, the epitome of rules and law in his coven.

"I aided the vampire, Myungsoo, when he needed it, back when I was young; he was the closest friend I'd ever had. To this day, he is still my closest friend, even when he has died and been born anew." His smile softened, his eyes crinkling nostalgically.

"It is true we must not partake in the affairs of Wolves, or of Vampires, however... who's to say we cannot partake in the affairs of our friends, when our help is most needed? In those instances, we do not represent our coven, we represent ourselves."

He placed a hand on his shoulder. "Help them if they are your friends, Seungmin." As they peered out the window, at the fighting, he distinctly saw Jisung fighting amongst them, in human form. All of the Sun pack fought in human form; they were at a clear disadvantage.

"I know what you are thinking, Seungmin. Don't try to logic your way around friendship – that will get you nowhere but confusion. You may wonder, why am I friends with this person, specifically? Why do I want to help them like I do? Those are questions that have only one answer – you just have to look for them in your heart."

Seungmin's eyes lowered. "Now, go, Seungmin. Do what your heart tells you is right; sometimes, the things we are taught are wrong. Sometimes, breaking the rules is what you have to do to remain true to yourself." Grand Wizard Moonsoo stood. "I have a friend to aid again."