Chapter Fifty-Three

Hyunjin could not explain the dread he felt as he walked around the pack, unnoticed unless glares were sent his way. He heard the whispers, ranging from treason to murder, and he could do absolutely nothing about it.

He'd tried to tell them Jisung was a good Alpha, that he would be as great as Dongwook had been, but even still, the majority of the wolves thought him to be in league with someone else – the most outrageous rumour he'd heard thus far was that he was conspiring with the vampires. It was ridiculous; he couldn't figure out why they would believe such a thing.

As he stopped in front of the library, his hand hovered over the doorknob. He also hated to admit that he needed help, that he didn't know the first thing about what to do. He hadn't been trained to deal with situations like this – wolves never acted out against their Alphas in such a way.

At least, never before. It was almost as though Alpha Dongwook's death had caused a chain reaction, and not only within the Sun pack; he'd heard rumours spreading about that other Allied packs were facing similar dilemmas. He'd even heard the Riverock pack had returned, that they had been hiding all this time, and that Jisung was their new Alpha.

Truth be told he didn't know what to believe anymore.

With a deep breath and a shake of his head, he pushed the door open. Grand Wizard Moonsoo was nowhere in sight, though, really, he hadn't come to see him, anyway. Seungmin sat at a table in the far back of the small library, perched over a thick, dusty book, a small lamp shining down on it.

He didn't look up even as Hyunjin stopped beside him. "I was wondering when you'd finally come by." When Hyunjin reluctantly sat down across from him, he finally looked up, tilting his head to the side. "Is the situation out of control, yet?" The wolf huffed out a sigh and averted his eyes.

Seungmin shook his head before he looked back down at his book, closing the cover with a sigh. "I can't find anything, either, if it makes you feel any better. Vampire-witch hybrids aren't that common, who would've guessed?"

Hyunjin chuckled before his expression smoothed out into something more serious. "They say he's Alpha of the Riverock pack now, too. Too many people are saying it, and I'm starting to wonder if it's true." He lowered his voice and Seungmin's eyes widened. "I have a bad feeling about this, Seungmin. Something's not right."

The wizard's eyebrows furrowed as he looked down at his book contemplatively. He threaded his fingers through his hair while Hyunjin watched him, lips turned into a frown. "You're right that things don't add up. I still want to know their story." His voice lowered until it was nothing more than a mumble.

"It doesn't make sense. You would have felt it if Jisung had died, right?" Hyunjin nodded, and Seungmin then leaned back in his seat. "They should be there by now if the rumours are true – is it just me or does it feel like they got there too easily?" The wolf leaned forward in his seat, eyebrows furrowed now, though his eyes widened slightly.

"Do you think it's a... trap?" Hyunjin felt his breakfast rise up in his throat.

"I hope you don't come back."

He shook his head to rid himself of his own words, and Seungmin nodded with a considering hum. "Most likely. While I was digging around, apparently the Riverock pack was annihilated because of a vampire attack – they were looking for someone in specific, I think. It would make sense that the Vampire King would want to kill Jisung before he grew up, before he ever even met Minho, if what Grand Wizard Myungsoo said is correct."

He met Hyunjin's gaze. "But it's unlikely the King knew what Jisung looked like as a child – I'm willing to bet there was a picture of Kim Jinsun lying around somewhere around the pack. While I was reading, I discovered Kim Jinsun was born into the Riverock pack but became Alpha through combat rather than birthright. Jisung's ancestors were related to him on his mother's side. According to my... sources, the Riverock really did come back."