Chapter Twelve

Fists curled and fangs flashed. Crimson eyes filled with fury pierced the sky, and an angry growl, reminiscent of that of a werewolf, saturated the still air around him.

"Why won't you die?" It was almost as though the Moon Goddess had chosen sides; the werewolf, over one of her very first children. His fist slammed into the wall, cracks slithering and splintering around the bricks in a spider web of destruction. He was starting to think the wolf was impossible to kill.

"If you can't die..." A slow smirk tugged at his lips. "I'll just have to force you apart instead."

~#~#~#~#~#~

Jisung cast a quick look over his shoulder; the day had bled into the night and had taken their awkwardness with it. However... he felt as though he was being watched. At first, he hadn't thought much of the feeling tickling the back of his neck, raising the hair on his arms, but as time progressed and it only got stronger, he started to worry.

He realized he should not have stayed out so late – with Minho, he'd forgotten everything else, all the dangers that lurked around him. He had to return to the pack – alone, when vampires were at their strongest. And if they'd really been after him specifically...

He swallowed thickly; maybe he'd just stay with Felix that night, instead. He chuckled at something Minho said, a small smile gracing his lips. The boy had seemingly forgotten about their earlier encounter, too, and that was a relief.

The thought of it still made his heart race, and he averted his eyes, heat creeping onto his cheeks. He wished Minho had been a werewolf; then, maybe, he could have acted on these strange, abrupt feelings. Perhaps they'd even end up Mated. His face turned crimson in colour at the thought, and he shook his head.

It would do no good to think of things that would never happen.

"– so then, I walked in, and the kitchen was covered in flour. I wanted to die." Minho laughed, eliciting one from his current companion. Jisung pushed all thoughts of danger and vampires out of his mind because they would not reveal themselves to a human just to get to him. That would mean breaking the law, and would allow the supernatural Council to prosecute them.

They wouldn't do anything quite so stupid.

He relaxed, muscles unwinding despite the eyes on his back, ever-present. Soon enough, Minho's apartment complex came into view, and Jisung felt his worry wash away completely. When they were inside, they'd be fine. He would definitely stay the night at Felix's, if his friend allowed him.

He didn't feel safe on these streets at night.

His eyes widened, the scent hitting him before his eyes landed on five figures emerging from the blended darkness. Vampires. His breath caught in his throat; what are they doing? Revealing themselves to a human was treason; it was suicide.

Minho eyed the five oddly, moving to walk around them, when Jisung caught his wrist, gently tugging him back. His eyes were wide, face paling in the moonlight as he stared at the vampires.

If they were all from the royal army... he didn't stand a chance. His eyes scoured their figures for any signs of silver weapons, but even his enhanced vision could not see so well in the opaque darkness that settled around them.

Minho turned to stare at him in confusion, but the wolf could not focus on anything but the five men. If they made a break for it... Yes, that could work. If he and Minho separated, they'd follow Jisung, and then, once out of sight, he could Shift. He nodded to himself; it was as good a plan as any.

"But if you shift before it's healed, boy... it'll come back. And this time he won't be able to save you."

Jisung's eyes widened; no. He'd have to make a run for the pack, but it was too far, he'd never make it in time on his human legs. The vampires moved. Slowly, at first; then faster. Jisung's muscles tensed and he prepared himself to run, but his eyes caught that they were not heading for him.

The vampires were dashing for Minho. No. A protective instinct flashed through him and he shoved the human boy out of the way just before one of the vampires could grab him. "Minho, run!" he yelled, his blood pounding in his ears.

Minho stared at him in bewilderment, and Jisung clenched his teeth. I have to buy him time. Why were they after him? He was just a human. Maybe... maybe they were hungry. If that was the case... if he ran away, and they lost him, they wouldn't chase after him; they'd find new prey.

All he had to do was buy him enough time. But the law... He shook his head. He could not let Minho die. He couldn't. He wouldn't. If that meant breaking the law... so be it.

He looked over his shoulder. "I said run!" It was more of a growl than a shout now as he slowly shifted. Pain seared his side and he roared, but he pushed through until he finally landed on four paws, his fur gleaming in the moonlight, his side already matted with blood from his opened wound.

He did not have to see Minho to know he gazed upon him in horror. But still, the boy did not move. Jisung closed his eyes before he turned around, growling at him. By the way his eyes widened, he'd effectively scared him. Minho scrambled away, bolting down the sidewalk.

Jisung turned back to the vampires. His golden eyes flashed in the darkness, a snarl ripping free from his throat. He tried not to sway on his feet, the pain only intensifying the longer he remained. Human voices echoed behind him, and the vampires chuckled, backing away, back into the shadows.

Jisung tried to follow them, but his vision swam, and he collapsed in a heap on the dark road. The vampires' chuckles followed him into unconsciousness.

A/N: Jisung made an oopsie

Q: What's the most comfortable bed or chair you've ever been in?

A: My bed, it's super old; I've had it since I was like four (it's big tho dw), and it used to be my parents' before I was born, so, yeah, old. That, or my reading chair, which is one of these; I got it last year with my birthday money and I absolutely adore it 

 That, or my reading chair, which is one of these; I got it last year with my birthday money and I absolutely adore it 

Lots of love,

~Junnie