Chapter Twenty-Two

PRESENT DAY

"It's definitely Acarthian. However... this spell is much stronger than the one surrounding your friend's apartment." Seungmin frowned as he studied invisible marks that neither of the werewolves could see. It must have been powerful, for only Seungmin could see the runes on the pack border.

"To be completely honest with you," Seungmin looked up with a pointed look, "I can't even begin to understand these runes. The other spell was much simpler, but the characters here are almost... weaved together." He frowned thoughtfully and sighed.

"It's nearly impossible to tell what they are, or what they mean." He looked peeved by this, and he glared at the ground before he stood, dusting off his clothes, even though there wasn't a splotch of dirt on them.

"At least we can deduce that the person who set these runes up and the ones around your friend's apartment are one and the same." His eyes narrowed slightly and Hyunjin shook his head.

"It was obviously set in place to kill you easier, and we know it was the Vampire King who sent that vampire here that night, so..." Jisung looked up at him with wide eyes.

"The shadowy figure on the balcony might've been the Vampire King?" Jisung finished, his face paling as his lips pressed down into a thin line. Seungmin whistled through his teeth, shaking his head.

"Now that's crazy. This is just getting more and more interesting."

Hyunjin scoffed, shooting him a strange look. "Interesting? More like terrifying." A snort left him, and the two stared off before Jisung waved a hand between them.

"We should head back now, I don't think it's safe for us to be so far out by ourselves." He cringed as he said this; the pack territory had always been safe and comfortable, but twice the border had been breached. Once, by a soldier of the Vampire King's personal army, and another by the Moon pack. Both were dangerous enemies.

The other two agreed, and he set off back towards the packhouse with heavy thoughts; how were he and Felix connected in a way that interested the Vampire King? Unless... unless the Vampire King wasn't after Felix, but someone else? He shuddered.

There were too many questions, and not enough answers.

~#~#~#~#~#~

Felix quirked a brow as Jisung finished warning him about the figure on the balcony, though he left out the part about the runes. "I'll keep an eye out," he chuckled with a shake of his head, but Jisung froze him with a gaze, face set in a serious frown.

"I'm not kidding, Lix. Be careful." The boy blinked and his smile tensed, but he nodded all the same.

"Alright, alright, I'll be careful." Jisung smiled, relieved, and turned in his chair towards the door to the dining hall. There, Jeongin stumbled in behind Grand Wizard Moonsoo, eyes darting about the room nervously.

"Jeongin!" He called and waved him over. Relief flickered over his expression before he quickly bowed to the elder wizard and hurried towards them.

He hesitantly sat down in a seat next to Jisung, eyeing Felix and Hyunjin nervously. He felt strangely protective over the small boy and smiled warmly. "That's Felix and that's Hyunjin. Guys, this is Jeongin." The wizard smiled shyly and waved a bit, to which Felix cooed.

"He's so adorable!" he screeched, and the boy jumped slightly in his seat as he stared at him with wide eyes, his cheeks colouring red. Seungmin plopped down in the seat beside Hyunjin – the only seat left – with a slightly disgusted look in his direction.

"Oh! Jeongin, this is Seungmin. He's a wizard, too." The boy's eyes lit up and he grinned. As the two hopped into a conversation about magic and other things the werewolf could not understand – Hyunjin occasionally interrupting to put in his two cents on the matter – he turned towards Felix, who ate silently, which was odd.

"How... how's Minho?" He chewed on his bottom lip and Felix looked up, tilting his head with a slight, knowing smirk. Jisung wanted to glare at him.

"You should go ask him yourself." Jisung's eyes widened and he quickly shook his head, leaning in over the table, eyes darting about the room.

"I... I can't. He's probably terrified." He hissed the word like it burned his tongue, but all the same, he continued to peer around the room to make sure nobody was listening. What he'd done... could warrant death or exile, given the circumstances. Revealing oneself to a human is one of the worst offences any of them could have ever committed.

And he did.

Felix snorted and shook his head. "Just talk to him." Again, Jisung shook his head and averted his eyes. The blonde sighed, his expression dry as he turned his stare to the ceiling.

Minho wouldn't approach Jisung without invitation, and Jisung was too scared to talk to Minho. These guys are so dense.

If they wouldn't talk to each other willingly, he'd just have to find a way to force them into it. A smirk curled his lips and he chuckled, eyes glittering. Oh, he had the perfect idea.

A/N: How are you guys finding the story so far? 

Q: What do you do to motivate yourself to write? (AND/OR) What do you do when you're stuck in a reading slump?

A: I watch writing vlogs oop-- I don't really like that many vlogs, but Kate Cavanaugh is so entertaining and I love her vlogs, so -(*.*)- And I just... change books. When I'm in a reading slump I kinda just figure it's because I'm not really into the book I'm currently reading, so I switch it up.

Lots of love,

~Junnie