Chapter Twenty-Six

1854

Jinsun sighed, staring at the grave he'd just finished digging. "I will miss you, my friend." He did not let himself cry, even when the tears came. He remained there, kneeling, mourning for the best friend he'd ever known.

"Why did you do this? You should have spoken to me." He ran a hand down his face, biting down on his lower lip harshly. Was he not trustworthy enough? Was he not as good a leader as he hoped?

Footsteps behind him alerted him of someone's presence. He looked up, steeling his expression against his emotions.

"How could you?" He peered over his shoulder, frown settling on his face as he stared upon Taewook's brother, Taemin. The wolf's eyes were in a constant shade of dark gold; it would seem that he was the Moon pack's alpha now. Jinsun slowly stood to face him, squaring his shoulders. "He was your friend. And you killed him."

"Taemin–" His own eyes flashed gold as the other took a step forward, and although anger and hatred flitted over his features, he did not move any further; he could not, not when Jinsun still commanded him.

"There will come a day, Kim Jinsun, when we will have our revenge. The Moon pack will never forget." The threat in his message was clear; Jinsun's eyes narrowed on him as he backed away into the woods again.

He clenched his fists, gritting his teeth as looked to the side, at his friend's grave. "I wish it had been different." Without another word, he Shifted, turning back down the path that led through the forest and back towards the castle.

Taewook's final warning about the King never left his mind.

~#~#~#~#~#~

Myungsoo watched as Jinsun entered the throne room, bowing lightly to the King before he righted himself again, face the epitome of collected coolness. "Why have you called me here, your Majesty?" Despite the calmness on his face, his shoulders were tense, his fingers twitching slightly, as though he wanted to curl them.

"You have received a message of utmost importance, something I think concerns... all of us." The King stood, his eyes flashing dangerously. Jinsun met his eyes and did not back down as he approached.

He did not imagine a werewolf had willingly told a vampire the information – he would have come directly to his Lord. Myungsoo watched warily as they met, and the werewolf's eyes flashed golden for a moment before he forced it away, keeping his expression completely neutral, though his fists were now clenched.

"What was said?" he asked, his voice tight, and the Vampire King's eyes flared in response; he clearly did not appreciate the lack of respect from the other, though Myungsoo supposed his anger towards the King was reasonable.

"The Moon pack has officially split from the Coalition." Jinsun's eyes widened, face slackening for a moment as he stared blankly at the king. His knuckles turned white. "Would there be a reason behind this, milord?" The accusation in Chan's voice was clear, and Myungsoo winced.

"No." The word was final, ringing out through the nearly empty chamber. "The Moon pack split because their alpha was killed for the... incident that occurred a few days ago." Chan nodded, clicking his tongue, looking at the werewolf from the point of his nose, before he turned around, facing his groom and his throne.

"You promised an alliance between all werewolf packs in the area, milord." Now even Myungsoo's jaw dropped. "I will not settle for less. Find a way to bring them back, or things will suffer greatly." The veiled threat was not quite so veiled at all.

"With all due respect, your Majesty, the only reason they are angered is because of you, and the terms you set. The Moon pack did not support them, as was made obvious by their attack. They have the freedom to choose. If they have left the Coalition, they are on their own. I cannot – will not – force them to return; they are no longer under my command."

He smiled tensely, and the vampire's eyes darted between the king and the lord, biting down on his lower lips at the anger displayed on both their faces. "Very well," Chan said tightly, whirling to face the lord again.

"I do hope you will find who allowed them to enter the palace without notice, or else it might just fall on your head." Myungsoo stared at his betrothed in bewilderment, and Jinsun took a deep breath, shoulders shaking with the strain of holding himself back – it was evident from his posture, and smiled again.

"As you wish, your Majesty."

He turned, hands tightly clasped behind his back as he walked right out of the throne room without dismissal. Chan stared after him, infuriated, and though he was not a strong political figure, Myungsoo could still make sense of the situation; the Accords were falling to pieces before his very eyes.

A/N: *rubs hands together* let's go, it's getting sPICAYYY

Q: What's something people don't worry about but really should?

A: The climate crisis--

Lots of love,

~Junnie