Chapter Thirty-Four

Jisung wasn't sure how long the battle raged on. Everything was a blur of mixed up memories; his only instincts were to fight. Survive. He could feel his packmates dying on his internal map, and the rapid decline was alarming.

However... they managed to take down a few of them, too. He could sill feel Hyunjin, Changbin and Dongwook, but he was not sure whether Minho was safe. He was sure he'd seen him in the window, but he couldn't focus enough to remember.

His chest heaved, his arms coated in thick red blood – his own, his enemies, it didn't matter – the spear's head dripping crimson.

Alpha Dongwook stood in front of them as the Sun pack filed in behind him, exhausted and bloody; he didn't want to think about how many they'd lost. Jisung surveyed them, a lump forming in his throat.

The Moon pack wasn't nearly as devastated.

Jisung recognized the Moon pack's alpha by the scars running across his face, his eyes flashing golden. Dongwook replied with a bright-eyed look of his own, fury still contorting his face.

"Forgive us for this... unorthodox encounter." They all looked up, eyes narrowing as a shadowy figure stepped out from the trees, coming to stand beside the Moon pack. Jisung's eyes widened; that was the Blood Child he'd seen outside of Hyunsik's house.

"But we had rather... urgent business to attend to." He shot a glare at Alpha Insik before he returned to the other pack. He opened his arms as though he were making a peace offering; Jisung wanted to spit on him. "There does not need to be any more fighting. All we require is that you hand over Lee Minho. Do not worry, he will not be harmed; he is my graceful sovereign's groom."

Fury boiled deep within his heart, and a growl resonated through the forest, deep and animalistic. Byungho turned towards him, eyes narrowed. "Ah, Kim Jinsun. It would be in your best interest to surrender. You don't stand a chance against our King."

Before he could so much as reply, Dongwook stepped forward, eyes piercing. "We are not cowards. We will not hand over an innocent human for your king," he spat, "and we will not let you go without a fight."

Byungho surveyed the battle-worn pack. "Are you sure they all think this way, Alpha?" Shouts erupted behind him, and Jisung barely had the time to look over his shoulder when a strangled sound escaped Dongwook as he fell to his knees.

Terror filled him whole as he scrambled over to him, supporting his lumbering body. His eyes fell on the silver dagger plunged into the back of his neck. "No, no." He shook his head as he looked over the alpha's shoulder, towards Kyuntaek who stumbled away, pale-faced.

"You..." His eyes flashed golden, but he quickly eased his expression and came to kneel in front of Alpha Dongwook. "A-Alpha, what do I do?" Tears blurred is vision, and he blinked them away.

"Take it out." Jisung wrapped his trembling hand around the hilt and pulled it out as quickly and delicately as he could. Alpha Dongwook grunted and he slumped on him.

He dropped the blade immediately, staring at the dark blood that coated it. His stomach twisted, and his lungs constricted. "What do I do? What do I do?" Tears slithered down his cheeks as he pressed his hands against the wound, but the blood still slipped through.

Alpha Dongwook raised his hand, slowly, arm trembling with the exertion, slightly pushing himself away from Jisung. His hand came to rest just above his brows, and through his worn, fading eyes, he stared right into his son's.

The gold leeched out of his eyes slowly, and Jisung closed his eyes, tears continuing their downpour as Alpha Dongwook mumbled a few incoherent words. Jisung felt the transfer of power, felt how everyone in his pack shifted on their feet as he became Alpha of the Sun pack.

"I regret..." Dongwook choked slightly. "That I didn't... spend more..." The words formed with great difficulty now, his eyebrows furrowing. "Time with you... my... son." A sob ripped its way from his chest as he pulled the man in for a hug.

"You can't leave me. You can't." Sobs shook his body to its very core, and he clutched him tighter. "I'm not ready yet. You... you can't go. I won't make it alone. Please," he croaked, squeezing his eyes shut.

Dongwook chuckled weakly. "You will. You are... strong." He smiled through his worn expression and Jisung would have sobbed; it was one of his rare, small smiles. His breath left him, and he slumped forward.

"A-Alpha?" Jisung shook him slightly, but there was no response. His head lolled to the side, lifeless brown eyes peering up at him. "N-no... no! Alpha!" He buried his face in the man's bloodied shoulder, wails wracking his body. "Dad..."

The battlefield quietened, with nothing but the sobs of a devastated son to fill the air.

He could smell Minho, but he couldn't bring himself to look up. Slowly, he raised his head, tears slipping from his bloodshot eyes. He forced himself to sit up, and his eyes landed on Kyuntaek, who was held firmly in Hyunjin's grip.

At the sight of the one who had plunged the dagger into his father's back, a fury unlocked, deep within him. It ran through him like a wildfire, and he gently laid Dongwook's body to rest, closing his eyes with a tender hand.

As he gazed back at the traitor, he yelled. His rage fueled those shouts, and his body lurched when something unlocked. Something big, and dangerous, and strong. His eyes flashed brighter, and his packmates gasped around him.

He fell to his knees with a strangled shout, body convulsing. Pain writhed within him, muscles snapping, bones breaking, reforming, Shifting. He met Hyunjin's wide, shocked eyes before his body snapped in a different direction.

This went on for several moments, and then, out of the blue, the pain faded. He pushed himself to his feet, and now Hyunjin outright gasped. In the place of Jisung's moderately large wolf now stood a wolf, black as night, twice the size of any average wolf; he was almost the height of a man.

Byungho's eyes widened, too, as Jisung's golden eyes – as bright as they could possibly get – landed on him.

"Hyunjin. Hold him." Hyunjin immediately did so, but his voice felt strange with the added weight of his new status as Alpha. His blood boiled; he was Alpha, now, because... because these men had murdered the only father he'd ever known. The man who raised him as his own.

Insik growled at him, and lunged. The rest of the Moon pack stepped back when he was on the ground in a second, body broken in two. Jisung felt no pity. He felt no compassion. He felt no mercy as he took down each and every one of them.

Soon enough the battlefield was littered with corpses, and Byungho stared at him with wide eyes. There was terror there. He Shifted back into human form, and even the way he held himself seemed to have changed. He stepped towards the Blood Child, his golden eyes a mask of cold fury.

Quickly composing himself, Byungho stared at him right in the eyes. "If you do not hand over Lee Minho within a week, the same," his eyes slid to Dongwook, "will happen to your friend." With that he turned and sank back into the shadows.

"COWARD!" Jisung shouted, fists clenching. He looked over his shoulder and his eyes locked with Minho's. Grand Wizard Moonsoo had a hand on his shoulder, eyes downcast, and there was fear in the human's eyes.

Fear... of me? His expression broke as his knees buckled and he collapsed to the ground. His eyes finally broke away from Minho's as they closed, and the world around him shuttered into darkness.

A/N: I think I've decided what my next project will be. In true k-drama style, I think I'll write a murder mystery Changlix fic  =)

My friend called me downright sadistic when I told her what happens in this book hA

Q: Which apocalyptic dystopia do you think is most likely?

A: Honestly, the climate dystopia where food is scarce, there aren't many animals left and everyone lives in poverty -(*.*)-

Lots of love,

~Junnie