Chapter Fifty-Eight

PRESENT DAY

When Minho cast a quick look over his shoulder and he could no longer see Jisung's large, dark form running behind them, panic settled in. He let go of the fur he was clutching, falling to the ground. Jeongin stopped abruptly and whirled to face him, eyes wide, though it looked strange on a wolf's face.

The others slowed to a stop until they were all peering over at him; some with worry, others with irritation. "Where... where's Jisung?" His voice quivered with each word he said, and tears welled in his eyes – he knew. Deep down, he knew; and it terrified him.

The thought of Jisung facing all those vampires alone – he'd seen them hiding in the shadows when they'd walked in – terrified him down to the very atoms that made up his existence. It was strange, the feeling that overwhelmed him.

Hyunjin Shifted, to communicate for his benefit no doubt, expression comforting, though his eyes were hard in pain and anger. "He Commanded us to leave him behind." He gritted his teeth, and Minho's gaze travelled to the ground.

His hands balled into tight fists at his sides. "I haven't... I haven't known him for all that long, but... I can't just leave him behind; he never would have left me behind, I know it."

A muscle in Hyunjin's jaw worked as he knelt down in front of him, face now serious. "We cannot go against our Alpha's Command. No matter how much we may want to. His word is law." Something brewed in the wolf's dark eyes, something he knew was akin to doubt and fear.

Minho pushed himself to his feet and shook his head, determination blossoming in his chest. "Good thing I'm not a wolf." He turned back towards the Crimson Castle that was already small and faded against the horizon. He ignored the fear that overwhelmed him at the sight of it; the reason that had been buried, from his past life no doubt, was not his own anymore. "There are more chances that he'll live if I go."

Nobody commented on the unspoken words that lingered on his tongue. They might kill him, but they won't kill me. Hyunjin's eyes widened and he shook his head. "No, no, you can't. We can't turn around even if it's to help you, and Jisung wouldn't ever forgive us if something happened to you while we were there. You may not be Mated, but you're still his Mate."

Minho shook his head, a sudden calmness washing over him. "That's exactly why I have to go." He was starting to realize that every day, every moment he spent with Jisung made his feelings stronger; he was starting not to doubt that they really were Mates.

"I'll go with him." Jeongin had reverted back to his human form as well, eyes blazing. Seungmin emerged from the shadows, eyes wide in disbelief. Jeongin looked slightly concerned, though the flame in his eyes was not put out. "I'm not one of you. He can't Command me." Hyunjin shook his head, still, though he did eye Jeongin warily. He ran a hand through his hair.

Seungmin approached hesitantly and sighed, crossing his arms over his chest, mouth curved in a contemplating frown. "Since he's a... a hybrid," the word seemed difficult for him to say, "it may work. I don't think Jisung would've stayed behind this long for no reason, and he easily would've been able to catch up to us in that form. Maybe he's encountered a few difficulties."

His tired eyes landed on both Jeongin and Minho. "I think it's stupid that you'd go back there, but, just in case..." He bit down on his bottom lip. "Just in case the King is there..." His words seemed to die in his throat as he met Hyunjin's eyes for a moment before he quickly looked away.

Jeongin Shifted again, and Minho wasted no time climbing back onto his back. Before any of them could say as much as a word, they were off, back towards the Crimson Castle, despite Hyunjin's shouts of protest.