Five- Your Place

I know you're probably wondering, why don't I just run away? But it's not as simple as all that, Arcus doesn't let me leave.

Don't get me wrong either, I have tried and actually got surprisingly far for a thirteen year old—they found me though—I was basically dragged all the way back. I rather not remember what Arcus did to me after —then sixteen year old— Lucien personally delivered me to his feet.

Be it you join by force or willingly, there is no leaving the Assassin life—leaving is a betrayal and insult to the rest of the assassins. And they do not hesitate to hunt you down, I do not understand their loyalty to Arcus.

What has he ever done for any of us, other than turn us into animals.

I still manage to get around though, so it's not a complete prison so long as I behave. That's how Arcus works, you behave and obey and as a reward: gives you free rein to do as you please.

Misbehave and rebel and get a tight collar and leash, literally at times.

" I'll take care of the horses Felix, you take the supplies" I tell him as soon as we dismount inside the stables at the Keep.

He shakes his head sternly " Arcus will be wanting you in his study as usual " he looks at me pleadingly before continuing "And for once lay low Dasha, you're this close from going to the dungeon" he used his thumb and index finger to emphasis just how close I am, as if I don't know, as if the memories of that place don't wake me every night.

"I won't stop fighting him" I say bitterly, I will never submit to this life! submission would mean acceptance, and I rather lose my soul than submit—I suppose that's the root of my rebellious attitude.

" Haven't you learned Dasha! Hasn't he beat you enough!" there seems to be a frantic edge to his words, some sort of desperation I can only wish to comprehend.

" But if you won't stop fighting him then at least don't provoke him" He shouts at harshly—nearly making me flinch— and walks up to me till he's at arms length, before continuing darkly "Or He. Will. Break. You" Felix is looking at me oddly, trying to find the truth in my eyes but whatever he sees has him curling his lip in displeasure.

Felix snatches the reins from my hand and walks away, halting to peer behind his shoulder at me " Don't end up like me Dasha... not you" His usually bright sea-green eyes look dull, dead almost. I jog out of the stables, refusing to see this version of Felix, because if he's broken than what am I?

I wonder through the Keep trying to find Arcus and find him in the foyer, he's sprawled on an armchair; his pale fingers massaging his scalp.

I hope you have a headache.

He occasionally tugs at his rusty colored hair, slightly rolling his neck side to side in his effort to relive an ache, but he stops and glares at me with his cold blue eyes when I approach.

"This better be worth my time" Arcus growls at me, I walk up to the armchair and cross my arms
"Why am I being followed around " I snap, the accusation clear in my tone.

He gives a low, lazy, chuckle, before narrowing his eyes and slowly sitting up " You know exactly why, don't act stupid! it's not a good attribute in a weapon" and the way he says weapon has me grinding my jaw, as though I'm nothing but a tool, as though I don't have a heart that beats and a soul that feels.

" Answer my question!" I snarl—my anger making me forget myself—0and he's instantly on his feet and standing, looming over me at my tone.

" You forget your place Dasha" he says menacingly, I stand frozen in place before quickly looking down in submission.