BK2-🍁Chapter Two🍁

—Lucien POV—

She was looking at me, stealing glances through her thick, dark, lashes—--and I wondered if they were natural, surely lashes that perfect couldn't possibly be real. And the way she was looking at me had me unnerved, no one had ever looked at me like that, like I was really something. Like I wasn't a trained killer.

"Lucien, "

I lazily dragged my eyes towards the King,—and away from Evangeline —and arched a brow in response. The King sat in his throne—in the throne room—with the Queen by his side, and Evangeline to her left.

"You've had time to decide my daughter's offer? " the King asked slowly as if I was some halfwit who couldn't understand basic information and it irked me more than I cared to admit.

"Actually, I do believe I'll be needing a few more decades before I can properly decide, " I said flatly, shifting my weight from foot to foot—an old habit, instilled by my constant need for movement.

The King immediately turned to give the Queen an exasperated look, as if to say " See how disrespectful he is?!" and she only responded with a flick of her wrist— The whole exchange had me smirking.

But I felt her watching me again, so I immediately schooled my features into stone, into the most unapproachable face I could muster. Although the clothes I was currently wearing probably dulled the effect, and with that thought, I self consciously tugged at my dark blue waistcoat—which was so stiff I contemplated tearing it off right then and there—not to mention the Cravat around my neck was fastened so tight, I do believe the maids had been trying to strangle me.

"At least try to pretend at politeness Lucien, my daughter after all, honers you with such an offer, " the King spoke sternly now, trying to intimidate me, attempting to frighten me. I almost laughed at such a ludicrous notion, as if this man could ever frighten me... After all I'd seen, after all I'd been through?! This so-called King didn't make me think twice.

"Why King, this is me being polite, " I declared as I let my lips tilt into a mocking grin, running a hand through my overgrown dark hair— a deliberate action— letting him know I didn't care enough about this meeting to even listen properly.

"Enough Lucien, you're impossible!" The King snarled and this time I couldn't hold my low chuckle "So I'm told " I said through a vicious little lopsided smile.

I'd hardly spoken a few words and I'd already stricken a nerve, Dasha would be proud. It made me smile to myself, an actual genuine smile.

"Do you enjoy this, enjoy playing these games at the expense of Evangeline? Well?! " The King was now scolding me it seemed, as if I cared.

"Why do you hesitate? Was I to ask anyone else in this kingdom, they'd jump on the idea..." this was the first time Evangeline had spoken since the meeting began, and her voice was all famine grace, all sunshine, and rainbows... And I found it bothered me.

I looked at her then, bore down on her with a ruthless glare, letting her see the truth of my darkness in that look. But she only stared right back at me with big blue eyes, even notching her chin an inch. "I do not enjoy being treated like a horse on auction day Princess, I will Not be made into a weapon for you, I will never be owned again " I was fuming, so angry at the mere thought of being used for my strengths again, like some kind of object! I would never allow myself to used like Arcus had...never again.

Although she had never said she'd use me I could find no other reason for her wanting to marry me, ever since Arcus her artificially awoken me all those years ago, all anyone cared about was my Lilith form. I was nothing but a weapon.

Evangeline stood then, her soft delicate features contorting in anger as she began rebuking me "Is this what you think of me? You think me so uncaring! As though I'm some kind of slave trader, I would never, ever marry someone if I didn't see myself loving them! " and then she stormed off, her fists clenched and her small feet stomping away in a very Dasha like manner.

But I could only suck in a breath as I kept hearing that word... That word was taunting me like no other, and I struggled to comprehend what she saw in me. If she wasn't interested in my strength, in my power, then what?! There was nothing else besides those two things...

Loving, loving, loving...

I was dumbstruck, quite at a loss for words, and even shocked into stillness.

"Accept and you will be made a Lord, and Evangeline's husband, we could even work something out for your companions...prolong their lives perhaps? " the king said.

I instantly glared at him, Evangeline might not want me for my strength, but this man obviously did, why else insist on marrying off his only daughter to a low born Ravkahven—not to mention a trained killer.

"Let's not be stubborn dear, marry Evangeline, or I will have your friends killed. " the Queen suddenly spoke, and despite the sweetness in her tone, her words were outrageous.

How dare she threaten me!

I clenched my jaw, grinding it with each passing second " I see, " I managed to say without shifting into my Lilith form—because the idiots had not forced a Fogger onto me yet—

They really didn't leave me a choice, because this was Dasha's life at stake, and I would not bear her death on my hands— it would destroy me.

"I — " no amount of fist-clenching could ever douse this anger, but I tried, digging my nails painfully into my palms as I continued "I accept " I ground out as my fingernails broke through the skin of my palms.

But the King and Queen—ever oblivious of my struggle— beamed at me, and my nostrils flared.

"Welcome to the family Lord Lucien, " The Queen said finally, and to say I was furious would be the understatement of the century.

               _____________________

A/N Lucien's first POV!! Hopefully, this gives everyone a bit more insight into his character.