BK2|•Chapter 14•|

I'm woken by the cheery chirps of birds as they sang their soft melodies, how could they not understand I was in no mood! But instead of personally hunting each bird down and eating them for breakfast, I swung the covers off and walked across the room to my balcony. Once there I gripped the banister with an iron hold, digging my fingertips onto the smooth stone. I wasn't sad about last night's events, no, I was angry, Furious even. I would have loved nothing more at that moment than to drive a dagger into the Queen's heart, for I had realized she was the source of my troubles. But if there was one good thing about the Queen it was that she kept her word, for I discovered she indeed was giving me troops. Only a few mind you, and only until I married Thane would I receive all the military support Ravkah could offer.

"Dasha?" a male voice questioned softly from right within my room, and I startled, how could I have been so distracted as to not hear the door open!? But as I whirled on my heel and faced the stranger I instantly relaxed. It was only Asher, thankfully.

"Are you alright?" Asher asked tentatively as he stood at the door to the balcony "Excellent!" I replied instantly with a smile, and it wasn't entirely untrue. But Asher only stared at me almost sadly, and it was then I noticed his apparel. He wore his traveling clothes, and he had his saddlebags swung over his shoulder. I could tell he noticed when I caught on by the way he hung his head, causing the hood of his cloak to fall even further down his head—hiding his features from me.

"Asher?" I asked none to gently, "What are you planning to do? abandon us?"

And he nearly flinched, before finally looking up "Dasha, don't make it sound like that" he pleaded but I only crossed my arms, never mind that I was still in my flimsy nightgown, I could still be surprisingly intimidating.

Asher sighed roughly before walking towards me till he stood right in front of me " I'd never leave without a damn good reason, you know this, but Shabina needs its general Venice could be there any day now and who will lead your armies my Queen? " he questioned softly, and I couldn't even be mad at him with a reason like that. He was right, Shabina needed its general. Still...I'd miss him.

"Believe me, my Queen, if there was any other way I would have taken it, after all, I should be by your side in a foreign country. But you are the most capable women I've ever met so I know you can handle the royals." Asher said before placing a hand on my shoulder reassuringly.

"Do I have your blessing then?"

I sighed and my shoulders slumped "Of course you do Asher, are you all leaving then?" already feeling less confident knowing I'd be alone yet again.

But Asher almost looked offended "Oh course not!" he replied, "I will not have you dying on my watch, that's why I'm leaving Odessa here to guarantee your safety."

I only grinned "As if I'd die, " I chuckled as I leaned back against the banister, loving how the gentle breeze caressed my long hair, and I found it quite unusual how it lingered within my dark locks.
"Greater men than Thane have tried to kill me, trust me, Asher, I'm not impressed," I said smugly, for I would not have him leaving thinking I was scared and worry about my safety while he had an army to lead.

Asher smiled softly " Of course you'd say that while in a foreign country with little to no allies, " he replied and I arched a brow "Why Asher, are you questioning my capabilities?" I asked with a friendly edge to my voice.

Asher seemed to think about for it a moment as he too leaned against the banister, tilting his head back as he stared at the sky. "Never...it's just I sometimes forget you are no longer the seven-year-old girl entrusted to my care, that's all."

I turned and looked at him then, it was hard to imagine I'd grown up with Asher. That I'd once charged through the palace halls of Shabina, play sword in hand, with Asher by my side. It was hard to imagine that before Felix ever ran by my side, it was Asher and I. So I smiled, " I won't do anything reckless Ash, " and his eyes instantly flicked towards mine at the use of his pet name, his lips tilted into a lopsided grin "Both girl and woman versions of you were, and are, incapable of such a thing."

And I could only raise my hands in defeat with a laugh "I'll try, " and he shook his head with a smile.

" If we don't see each other again..." He began

"Don't..." I instantly said but he only shook his head and looked me dead in the eyes "They'd be so proud..." He confided softly while my eyes instantly widened, but then he was striding out the door and out of my room before I could even utter a word.

They'd be so proud...

There were no sweeter words than those.

•—•—•—•—•—•—•

Later I stood by the palace's entrance, leaning against one of the many columns, ever thankful for the long flowy sleeves of my dress—lest anyone see how my hands trembled slightly. Around me were the wives and family of the soldier's Asher was taking, and Odessa was currently crushing both Cole and Remy in a bear hug while Lucien spoke quietly to Asher on the side. I, meanwhile, watched from a distance with growing unease, this seemed wrong. It seemed wrong for them to leave, what if they were attacked by Venice soldiers? What if they got lost or injured? What then? If we lost Asher who would lead the armies?

My hands trembled roughly and I clenched them tightly in turn, it also hadn't escaped my mind how none of that Ravkah royals were here to bid them farewell, not even Felix. Were we not supposed to be strong allies once more? After all, I'd given my hand in marriage for this very reason.

I was so weary of it all.

But before I knew it, Asher raised his hand to signal their departure and I watched as they rode out of the palace gates, the hooves of near a hundred horses clipping against the gravel road. I only smiled when Asher turned in his saddle to look at me, his expression was tight and worry was etched into his features, and that's exactly why I beamed at him. Asher returned my grin before facing forward again, and I stayed there, till I could no longer see the small regiment any longer.

I had lost an ally today.

________________________________
A/N ngl you guys, this chapter was purely a filler ✌️😗