BK2 | Chapter 11|

As expected, the minute the music and celebration began Thane immediately made his way towards me. But I was not about to give him my first dance, I knew I must at some point but not the first. So I immediately turned on my heel and strode off into the opposite direction in a visible attempt to escape. But someone swiftly caught my wrist—gently, mind you — and twirled me to face them.

"Are you running from your betrothed as well?" Lucien spoke in a hushed tone, a twinkle in his grey eyes despite this horrible situation we found ourselves in. But I found myself returning his smile despite myself "I didn't want my first dance as a Queen to be his..." I said softly as Lucien guided us to the ballroom floor, and we began the cheery dance, joining the nobles as they twirled and spun like nothing else matter, like this dance was all they lived for. "Hmm, I just haven't spoken to the princess since my engagement...I- just..." Lucian trailed off as his eyes darted to where the princess laughed while her brother–Xander– twirled her with equal joy. "You just what Lucien?" I asked as a delightful realization began to dawn on me, and Lucien turned his attention back to me again. "Right, " he said as he gathered his thoughts " I just don't have the faintest idea of what to say, "

"My, my, Lucian, you sound as though you care," I said back with a smile in my voice "Well, no, I do–" but just then the princess gave a little squeal of delight as her younger brother swung her by the arms–apparently forgoing the entire dance routine and instead simple twirling each other, bumping into nobles and laughing with such a carefree spirit no one had the heart to be irritated at them. But I caught the way Lucian's steps faltered, nearly stumbling as his eyes found the princess, and that's when I realized, Lucien might have a heart to give after all.

"Well, I'd say we did pretty damn well for two assassins, after all, I always did love a good entrance." I said, at last, once again drawing Luciens attention "Yes we did, I expected nothing less, " Lucien replied with ease as he gathered me by the waist and swung me around, and I could hear the ladies giggle or laugh as their partners did the same. " You see Dasha, they underestimate us, they think we don't know how to play the game."

" Yes, if they only knew Arcus taught us how to blend in perfectly with royalty."I answered as I followed the dance and placed my palm in Luciens while we circled each other "You know...With how perfectly suited we've been trained for this, it almost makes you wonder if Arcus somehow surmised we'd be placed in this situation..." Lucien said and I nearly choked, because that may very well be a possibility.

"Oh Arcus, the gift that keeps on giving, " I ground out in annoyance, yet another situation where Arcus had meddled in our lives—no matter how convenient. But Lucien only laughed as his gaze once again wondered, staring at something as though faced with the greatest mystery of life.

Alas, Lucien could not save me from Thane forever for the dance soon ended, and his time to dance with his own betrothed has come. "Thank you, my Queen, it's always a pleasure to dance with you." He said as he walked away, his words slowly registering...This was the first time Id ever danced with him?? He made it sound as if we'd danced before, he must be losing it. But I watched as my court mingled, Remy and Cole had immediately been spirited away by young Ravkahven ladies and forced into dancing. Asher danced with his blonde-haired partner with all the grace of a prince, but his eyes were still dull and his features were like stone, he still hadn't gotten over my decision. But out of all my friends, I would say Odessa seemed the happiest. And I watched with disbelief as the Young prince Xander beamed down at Odessa while he held her close to his chest, and although reluctant, Odessa did indeed return his smile. And to the prince's credit, although he may be strange at times, he certainly did know how to dance and this ability made up for Odessa's none too perfect dancing capability. At least he wasn't swinging her around like he'd been doing with his sister.