|Chapter 18 |

By the time I reached the training grounds, it was flooded with people, some nobles, some soldiers, and citizens. I even looked towards the castle and found the King watching from a balcony, back rigged and eyes distant with uncertainty. Had I not told him Felix was a warrior, did they not know we had been assassins? What could get possibly be frightened of!

I neared the grounds and wedged my way in between the crowd till I saw the clearing, it was empty but I could tell by the way the crowd was waiting I hadn't missed anything.

Out of the armory strode Thane, sending the crowd into a frenzy as they shouted their applause. He shared a sly grin with the crowd, as though he shared a secret with them all, and they ate it up like sweet nectar. He wore black trousers, brown boots, and nothing else, his broad chest exposed, and his shoulder-length brown hair was tied back in a ponytail. Without a shirt on I could tell I was right to see him as a threat, his muscles rippled with every step and his fists were curled in anticipation.

And it was at this moment, when I was assessing the target-- like I would with anyone regardless of gender-- Felix strode out, steps sharp and calculated, like a well-balanced blade.

He was truly a fighter, everything about him screamed it. And as he slowly, and with an eerie stillness, zoned in on where my eyes had been he lifted his chin a fraction, letting me know he'd seen, and by the way, his jaw clenched slightly I knew he loathed the thought of me being attracted to Thane—not that I was. I tried to grab his attention but he refused to look back at me, instead, he straightened his black button-up shirt. Felix wore black trousers, black lace-up boots, and unlike Thane, he wore a shirt. Most likely to hide his scars.

Both men stared at each other, assessing, cold looks that had the crowd going still with tension.

"Rules are simple Princes, fight till one is defeated, no elemental powers against each other..." a nearby guard spoke, and I recognized him as one of the many guards who'd followed me around for a while.

"Any last words brother?" Thane asked, acid dripping off each syllable. Felix looked on and gave him a lazy grin and merely shook his head, which only seemed to irk Thane more.

"Begin!" The guard shouted and Thane immediately lunged, confusing Felix's calm demeanor for being unprepared. But Felix glided to the side with ease, almost smiling as the all too familiar adrenaline I knew all too well settled within him.

"You'll have to do better Thane," Felix said softly, almost smugly. Thane released a snarl and lunged, reaching for Felix's shirt, and as Felix dogged once again Thane managed to grab a handful of his shirt. The sound of fabric tearing echoed loudly as Felix tore at the back, revealing the angry scars upon scars. Felix sucked in a breathe as everyone present gasped in horror " So this is what you hide brother, the shame that comes with knowing someone summited you enough to leave scars," Thane shouted so that all could hear.

In one fluid movement, Felix tore the shirt off completely, uncovering his scars fully, unapologetically displaying his battle scars. His back was covered in scars but also his tattoo which marked him as a prince, an heir to this Kingdom.

" There is no shame in these wounds brother, only a testament of strength and sacrifice , do not assume to know me," Felix said before a cool rage seemed to settle over him, I beheld as his sea-green eyes came alive and shine. Like they did when he first awakened, they transformed till it seemed like every green forest had bled into one hue. And then Felix lunged, taking huge bounding strides, and then jumped when he was almost before Thane, in midair Felix drew back his fist and using his momentum drove his fist into Thane's jaw.

Thane fell back and clutched his jaw, but while Felix prepared to take deliver another blow, Thane quickly stood and with Felix being so close managed to land a punch in Felix's abdomen. He doubled over in pain, and Thane took the opportunity to drive his elbow into Felix's back and he fell to his knees in a heap.