Chapter 17 |

It was midday when I heard a commotion inside the throne room and so I quickly tiptoed my way inside, and I instantly saw that it was crowded with people, and the energy was so tense.

"Let us settle it then, " Thane taunted while the entire court of Ravkah watched with a wary eye—I wasn't surprised that he should be the cause of this turmoil—but then I noticed it was Felix he was addressing, I also noticed the anger which nearly radiated off him in waves. A quick search of the crowd showed me that they all seemed tensed, almost worried, and wondered what this was all about. But then Felix's entire composure went rigged as a realization seemed to hit him in the gut, his face darkened till not a trace of the Felix I knew was found.

"If that is what you wish, then I am more than happy to comply, " Felix answered with a feral grin but I noticed the King's eyes widen in fright...for Felix or Thane.

"I do not advise this Felix, " the king spoke, addressing him while giving him a look " Why not Father? do you believe Thane will have  gained a victory from this?" Anyone who truly knew Felix would see the utter unhappiness pouring out of him in hot waves, but to the unfamiliar eye, he would seem to be simply asking a question.

"No, no Felix, I simply meant it may not be the best method to solve this issue, perhaps a battle of wits?" The King said and Thane struggled to suppress a chuckle and I wanted to go over and slap his face

Felix on the other hand, looked down at the ground refusing to meet the kings' gaze, and instead spoke to Thane. " I purpose a battle of physical strength, we fight, and use our elements to our advantage but not against each other," Felix said, a feral grin hovering over his features. Felix did not see what his answer did to the King, but I did, he was devastated and suddenly I knew why... He thought Felix was going to lose this fight, he assumed Felix would be humiliated!

Suddenly Felix's dark mood made sense... He knew as well.

"Very well, we meet on the training grounds in five, " Thane said before striding out the throne room, while I tried to figure out why they were fighting in the first place.

But then I noticed Felix's muscles tense and flex, eager for use, I noticed the feral gleam that took over in his sea-green eyes. Felix was going to dominate Thane... like a predator, Felix was ready for a kill.

I squeezed through the crowd, my small size making it easier till I reached Felix's side. I beamed up at him, ready and eager to help him prepare however I could for this little fight—and maybe figure out why he was fighting. I would make sure they all knew who I rooted for. Felix glanced down at me, and his features instantly softened a fraction and I smiled at him. "I know you'll win, " I said confidently and went to offer a reassuring squeeze to his forearm, but he ever so subtlety angled his body away from me.

"Thank you for your confidence in me, if only you'd held onto it a while longer when it really mattered, " Felix said, not coldly, just somberly as though he was disappointed in me. By the time it hit me that he meant his slumber he was striding away, and I could only watch in despair as he walked away.

If it was up to me alone I would have always chosen Felix, always and forever... but at the moment I couldn't throw away the lives of thousands for me, or even him... no matter how it killed me.

And then, without a word, I bolted out the throne room. My slippered feet nearly soundless as I ran down the long corridor, vaguely noticing the portraits of the Royals family. I momentarily halted as I ran by the portrait of a toddler with golden hair that curled at the edges, sea-green eyes twinkling as he stared at me. His lips were tilted up in a ridiculous little smile and I could almost hear his giggles. I looked down at the plaque already knowing who it was, sure enough, Felix's name stared back at me.

Had I ever been this happy? When had we ever been as carefree as little Felix had been?

Instantly, and without permission, my mind conjured up memories of me and Felix. Him giving me the exact smile he wore in his portrait, silly and lopsided, as he teased me about my height, I'd been upset that he had had another growth spurt and he had beamed at me for noticing.

I shook my head from the memories as I gathered up the shirts of my light pink dress and continued running, but alas, I kept seeing him smiling in my head.

"Oh dasha, don't be upset, I like it this way. It's much easier to carry you if you're short"

I kept hearing his voice, and remembering that day of all things. It wasn't even that special!

I finally ran down the flight of stairs and across the huge open area before slamming the palace doors open. Once outside the sun glared down on me, blinding me in greeting, and coating everything in a golden hue.

Just like his golden skin

My mind seemed to whisper into my ear and I audibly groaned, for crying out loud, Felix was about to have a fight and all I could think about was his smiles and twinkling eyes... and now his skin!???

And in my state of mind and I didn't notice the tall young man walking in front of me till my body slammed into his full force.

He reached out and steadied me " I'm terribly sorry dearest, How clumsy of me," he said while making sure I was all right, I almost laughed.

I had run into him, not the other way around. " No need to apologize, after all, it was I who was not watching where I was going," I said as I noticed him for the first time, and in doing so recognition flared strongly.

He simply nodded, unaware I knew he was the young Prince Xander  "A full mind will do that to a person, and worst, one can not stop the thoughts rushing in can we?" He said as he smiled slyly, as though he knew something I did not. It didn't worry me though, it was an innocent smile on him.

"No we can't," I said and as though to prove my point, my mind whispered again: "You can be my Assassin Queen," it said and my heart ached. That's what Felix had told me when I had wanted to die at fifteen when I'd been inches from committing suicide...

"Princess Dahlia? " Prince Xander asked with concern coating his voice " Please don't be upset, whatever is bothering you I'm sure isn't all that bad," he said as he reached out and patted my shoulder.

I immediately went rigged, I didn't accept sympathy, I didn't want reassurance from anyone. I'd opened my heart fully once and look what that got me.

"Prince Xander right, " I began, leaving room for him to answer, to which he responded with an incline of his head. " I appreciate your concern and I assure you I'm fine, but at the moment, I need to get to the training grounds." I finished finally and Xander nodded the whole time as if he understood completely.

" Very well Princess, I see sympathy is not the way to your heart," Xander said and took me completely by surprise, he was so very observant if he figured all that out about me already. " I will delay you no longer..." he seemed to hesitate before continuing " and I know he'll win," he said with a discreet smile before striding away rather quickly, and I was left a tad rattled. I had not told Felix was going to fight? How had he known?

I shrugged, the news of their fight was probably circulating the courts and spreading like wildfire already, he must have heard from them.