Prologue

The full moon illuminated the starless night, casting shadows throughout the Kingdom of Shabina. The weather had changed throughout the night when a backing wind from the Mountains had brought frigid cold conditions and a drizzling rain with it, but worst of all was the thick slithering fog that surrounded the Kingdom that night.

But alas nothing could have stopped King and Queen Cashore from leaving the safety of the castle that night, much less the weather.

"Please Angelina, please, don't go alone..." The Queens blood general had begged "Allow me to go with you
it is my duty to protect you, don't take this away from me!" General Lewis nearly got to his knees that night, for something deep within him had urged him not to let her go.

"Lewis " The queen had said gently " I will be going with Dominique, remember"

Lewis had sized the King up, " I don't know Angel..." doubt of Dominique's capability coating his voice and
King Dominique had laughed, his deep laugher filling the small council room with cheerfulness, for the kings happy ways were contagious indeed.

"Oh come on Lewis" The king said through laughter " I fought by your side many times, besides have you forgotten I am a shifter" his eyes twinkling with amusement.

Lewis still hesitated " Lewis darling, I would love for you to come but the ambassadors of Valcerie requested it be the royal family only" Queen Angelina said gently.

"Exactly Angel! Does it not seem odd to you?" Lewis spoke, concern clearly evident.

"It is Lewis, you are right but I believe it is a test of trust, besides we need this alliance Lewis, Velcerie is strong enough to wipe us out!" Angelina said

"Either way we will take all precautions Lewis, and we will return as quickly as we can" Dominque tried to comfort Lewis.

General Lewis had continued to try and persuade them to stay, but in the end he had helplessly watched the King and Queen along with their young daughter walk out the door of the palace.

Much later that night the General sat in fireside room— in his favorite armchair—with his son and apprentice talking but mostly worrying, the fire light illuminating their ceased brows and worried expressions.

"I should have gone too father!" His son Asher had said " I am Dahlia's sworn blood general"

Lewis' fifteen year old apprentice— Cole— had scoffed, "Oh please Asher, you sound as if you actually protect her "

Asher bristled "But I do!" and Lewis had struggled to hold back a chuckle.

"I am pretty sure Dahlia thinks you are her betrothed not her general" Cole said causing a slight flush to creep up Asher's face, and Lewis instantly zoned in on that look. He sincerely hoped his son was not developing a sweet spot for Dahlia, blood generals with Queens was forbidden.

"I can't help that! she thinks helping her put a brooch on her hair meant marriage" Asher protested

A light bulb seemed to go off on Cole head " that makes sense, since the brooch is the one Queen Angel gave her..."

" Which King Dominque had given Angelina as a wedding present " Asher finished with a groan, face palming lightly and Cole had practically giggled.