BK 2 |•Chapter Nine•|

" Miss Cashore, I still need to know your choice, " the timid voice of my handmaiden, Libby, interrupted my thoughts–I'd just met her today, for my "special" day of course. And she was currently holding a ball gown in each hand, looking at me questioningly. We were moments away from the ball tonight which would announce my betrothal to Prince Kavaleer, and here I was, having to pick a gown as if I cared whether or not I looked nice or not. This wasn't a happy occasion for me, why must they pretend I cared whether I wanted the pink or yellow gown—which by the way, both clashed with my features.

And to make matters worse the way these dresses were designed with all the frills and flowy material made me sick, they were made to make me seem innocent and docile. To make it seem like the Queen of Shabina needed protecting.

They had only ever been giving me these types of dresses and I didn't mind so much when I was just walking in my room, but when I was representing my kingdom... I would not be made to look like a lamb among wolves, I was a Queen.

"Libby, how do I say this, " I said as I looked at myself in the large looking mirror in front of me, I could see her eyes widen behind me anxiously–not matter. " I hate them both, don't you have anything...I don't know, darker perhaps?" I asked nonchalantly and with surprising ease. After lasts night's "experience" I actually felt...better? It's not to say I still didn't feel like I carried the weight of the world on my shoulders but more like I'd grown stronger in accepting the truth, and not living in denial. I could accept all parts of who I was, I was a royal but I also a fighter. I was a killer but also a savior for my people, I was broken but I was also healed. And I was done playing nice, I would play their game; fighting without fists.

Libby looked at me with pure mortification " B-but Miss, these were hand-picked by your future mother in law the Queen!" She squeaked and looked ready to burst into tears, she was such a timid little thing.

"Of course she did," I moaned and rolled my eyes in annoyance "and let me guess, it would be an offense to deny the Queen's whims and I'd probably be flogged or something equally as bad, well blah blah blah," I said while a sinister little smile tilted my lips, and the color drained from Libby's face " But the Queen forgets Libby, " I said while grabbing the gowns from her hands and tossing them onto the ground " I am also a Queen,"

"And I Will not be denied," my voice steely, my determination coating each word and before Libby could burst into anxious tears, the door to my room slammed open. And Libby saw her opportunity, before I could bat an eye she scurried past the armor-clad warrior with surprising speed and she was gone–I nearly burst out laughing.

" I'm just going to ignore that maid you just scared off, we have serious business to discuss!" Lucien boomed at me and I simply arched a brow at him and sat on my bed. " What might that be?" I found it strange Lucien wanted to talk about anything after spending all day with him and the group, I'd spend the best day of my life with them, and if there was something serious we would have talked about it right?

" I didn't want to say anything around the rest because they aren't like us, they were born into this so they would disagree," Lucien began and leaned forward eagerly.

" I've seen you all this time, trying to pretend to be something you're not...and I'm sick of it Dasha because that's not the Queen I chose to follow." Lucien spat out and I immediately stood, what did he mean?! Something I'm not!?

Lucien strode till he was right before me " Stop be this sweet little princess, stop acting like you're something weak, stop this already! I've given you time, but the Dasha I know was a warrior," Lucien growled in my face and I returned his glare because what he was saying was absolutely right but I'd already decided to be strong again. But before I could say anything he was rambling again " you know they are right, don't you? We are killers, but you are also a Queen, stop trying to choose one and just be both! Be the assassin Queen Felix always wanted you to be.

" Show them Shabina has a powerful Queen one who cowers from nothing, not even in the face of death...And that's exactly why I will not allow you to wear some ridiculous dress"

I knew he expected resistance if the way he was bracing himself was any indication but instead, I smiled, and it grew still I began laughing, this was too good. But I spoke before he broke something " I completely agree Lucien, I couldn't have said it better. Let us show them who they are dealing with, after all, Arcus did mold us to be feared," I said at last and Lucien smiled viciously in return and I swore I saw his eyes flash, and for a brief second, I saw feline eyes staring back at me.

—Engagement Ball—
This was it, my moment had come and it was time to face the music. This was when I would decide, to either be who they wanted me to be, or who I was born to be.

The choice was simple.

I stood facing the huge wooden doors leading to the ballroom, Lucien on my right and Asher on my left and the rest holding up the rear... waiting to be announced, the entire Ravkah court waiting on the other side of these looming doors. My entire body tingled with anticipation and shook with adrenaline.

"Presenting the royal Shabina court!"

That was my cue, I breathed in deeply and immediately Lucien glanced my way with determination while Asher smiled at me, he had been reluctant about the way we had decided to represent the kingdom, but he had ultimately trusted my judgment.

And with one final smile, I brought my hand forward and released my magic, and a gush of ice slammed the doors open a bit too aggressively than I'd been hoping for, but all the better.

And as we stepped through the doors, my eyes immediately caught the Queens who sat on her throne across the room, and I gave her a lazy smirk.
Let the battle of wits begin.

She'd messed with the wrong Queen!

——————

A/N
Here's your second update y'all! Enjoy 😊 don't forget to vote. Also, is there any specific POV other than Dasha's that you'd like me to write? If not I'll stick with Dasha.