Chapter 16

Well, my wedding was in a week. Yes, it was rushed, yes I hated it. But I couldn't prolong it either for in a week Venice could reach Shabina. I had to put on my big girl armor and charge into the fray, this wasn't about me anymore. This was about saving my kingdom.

And that's what had me charging through the palace halls with my jaw set, for I had already spoken to near every guard here and they all refused to let me use the training grounds. All simply because I was a woman, Evangeline had tried to warn me but apparently here in Ravkah women were not viewed as capable of handling a sword. What a load of crap and they kept insisting I needed my betrothed's approval. As if I'd never held a sword in my hands, I would have laughed if I wasn't so furious.

Once I located Thane's room I banged on the door with all the grace of an Ox, "Thane! I'll strangle you with my bare hands!" I screamed through the door and the soldiers posted by his door exchanged nervous glances. The door suddenly swung open to reveal a flustered looking Thane, "Give a man a heads up will you darling, " he drawled as he aggressively dried his wet hair with a towel, and it was then I noticed with panic how he only wore his trousers and he had obviously just jumped out of a bath.

Thane smirked at my discomfort and motioned his guards to leave "Give us some privacy will you, " he said smugly, in a way that implied we would need the privacy, and one of the guards looked ready to blush as he scurried away.

But I didn't let myself care, for I was a woman on a mission, " Explain to me why I, the Queen of a kingdom, would need the permission from a man before I can train for, I don't know, an upcoming war! " I snapped and Thane only grinned lazily as he leaned against the door frame, the damp towel now slung over his shoulder. "I don't know how it is in Shabina, but here in Ravkah women don't fight. So of course you'd need the permission from the closest thing you have to a husband." Thane responded coolly while I thought about strangling him.

"That would be me, in case it slipped your mind."

"Curse you Thane! In my sweetest fantasies I visualize driving a dagger into your heart" I snarled and Thane laughed "ooh, I'm quaking with fear." he said sarcastically with an eye roll and all I could do was glare at him.

"If looks could kill, " Thane whispered smugly.

"Have it your way Thane, but I will train, even if I have to use the Ravkah soldiers who try to stop me as punching bags," I said calmingly before turning on my heel and striding away, giving him a vicious little smile over my shoulder.

"Wait," Thane said with a sigh "I grant you permission, lest you injure our armies"

I didn't turn around though "As if I need anything from you." I said instead, I had won this battle, and I'd win them all. And as I went my way through the halls, striding with all the confidence of a woman who'd just defied her "future husband " Odessa ran towards me "What's wrong with this sexist Kingdom! They refuse to let me anywhere near the barracks, let alone the training grounds." she ground out through a clenched jaw but she wasn't done yet "Me, A Knighter, isn't allowed to fight!? What the hell Dasha, I come from a bloodline of fighters! I could take down their general any day"

"Then let's do it Odessa, Thane just "granted" me permission to train—not that I need it— and I'm making you my plus one," I said with a smirk and Odessa beamed at me, I never figured she was just as much into fighting as I was. It was in our blood to be warriors I suppose.

And that's how Odessa and I found ourselves marching straight into the palace training grounds, all around us bare-chested soldiers froze amidst their training and gawked at us as we made our way into the armory. Clearly, we'd been the first females to enter the grounds in a while—if ever.