BK2 |•Chapter 13•|

Nikolai

I sat on my throne looking bored, but inside I struggled to control my fury. And my element, I was having the hardest time reeling it in ever since I laid eyes on Dasha. I'd tried to avoid looking at her since I took my first step into this ballroom, knowing my magic would respond, but alas my heart betrayed me. And what a fatal mistake it had been, Dasha had always been beautiful, but seeing her tonight, dressed in a gown befitting a Queen yet still with hints of the girl I'd known since before I could remember. It had ignited a strange sort of pang in my heart, but Stars! when she'd looked at me with such a painfully hopeful look on her face it nearly stopped me from doing what I had done. But another minute with her around and I might very well have erupted into flames. Even now I felt as though I was feverish, and I needed to be cooled down promptly.

But my own thoughts were soon interrupted as I watched Prince Thane approache—his face the portrait of anger—and I could not help the stab of betrayal that came whenever I saw him, because it was always accompanied by the knowledge that Dasha chose him over me. But the thought only caused my hands to tremble with restraint, now I understood Dasha, how did she ever manage to control her element?

Thane bowed to both the King and Queen, deeper towards the latter.

"My Queen, we must speak of the changes that Nikolai's arrival brings " he says trying to calm himself. And I smirked knowingly, are you upset half-brother? Does me sitting on you're throne make you angry? Does it make it your blood boil? Good!
If I was being honest with myself, I was so jealous and envious of Thane that I craved making his life a misery.

" I am Prince Nikolai, and you will address me as such" I said as coldy as I could instead of voicing any of my feeling at the moment. Thane openly glared at me in return and I nearly laughed out load.

How naive, you must learn how to the play the game Brother.

Yet still he dismissed my comment and stared at the wretched Queen instead, as if seeking her assistance. "Donovan, " The Queen addressed the king "Thane is right, there are disruptions we must discuss. Seating to begin with" she gave me a pointed look, and I stared right through her in return—she no longer held the fear she once had when I was a child, I'd grown stronger then she could ever hope to be.

She bristled then as if sensing she could no longer intimidate me, yet still she kept her pleasant expression plastered on her face like the fake queen she was.

"Seating?" King Donovan asked with a raised brow, clearly not understanding why it was such a big deal.

"Yes father, their are only five thrones" Thane said in a tone that made my nostrils flare, he was making it sound like the king was dense.

"And Thane is the next in line for the throne, he deser--" The Queen said but I cut her off before she spewed some more nonsense. I leaned forward on my throne to look at the Queen with an icy look "The thrones are for the true born sons and daughters of the King. Thane is not truly your son mother." I say sharply while pinning her with a look "We wouldn't like the nobles thinking you had a child outside of your marriage now would we" she gasped in horror at my words, and I reveled in the satisfaction.

"Donovan, you cannot allow him to speak to me in such a manner!'

" My son only speaks the truth " he said giving her a pointed look before looking back at me, I merely inclined my head in a nod.

"Thane, it is true that you have nearly always been the next in line, after all your element is the strongest in the Kingdom," the king begins

Strongest huh, we shall see.