Chapter 9

LEXA POV
I look up as Gaia walks swiftly into the training ring.
Gaia is currently being trained to become the next Flamekeeper in replace of Titus. She's learned much in little time I've given her, and will soon be able to take over the role in the ceremony at full moon.
"Kane has arrived Heda." She speaks looking at me hopefully.
I thank her and dismiss the Nightbloods to speak with Kane.
I leave the room and find Indra waiting for me in the hallway.
"Kane's come back with the warriors we sent, and has brought along Octavia and Lincoln." Indra's says matching my pace.
"That's fine as long as they don't become a disturbance."
I reply.
"They've brought someone else as well though."
"Who?" I halt my pace. No one else was permitted to come with.
"Kane won't tell me, but according to the warriors outside their room it seems as though they have brought a prisoner."
"Thank you Indra you may leave. Send word for Kane to meet me in the throne room an hour before the council meeting."
"Yes Heda" Indra replies, leaving to go tell a servant.

I walk to the lift and wonder who they could've brought that would help them out of their own mess. They've brought this upon themselves and no one will help them out. Blood must have blood.
I walk to the throne room and await Kane's arrival.
I find myself carving into my throne again.
"Kane com Skaikru" a warrior calls out.
"Let him in, only him." I reply placing my dagger back into its sheath.
He stalks in as though his death isn't inevitable.
"Speak."
"I've come to speak of a treaty as you asked, so what are the terms?"
"You must realize that what you're people have done has not only hurt my people but has cast a shadow on my leadership. We cannot have that! I request for you to bring every man who bare witness to the mass murder that killed 300 of my warriors. They will be brought here and slashed 300 times for every single man and woman they took the life from. Refuse and I will allow the council to decide your fate, and they aren't as generous as I am."
Kane looked at me shocked.
"Decide."
I say sternly.
"I will not let my people as a whole pay the price for what one man started! I will only accept the offer if I only bring their leader." Kane looks at me disbelief in his eyes.

"I am only making this deal in memory of Clarke. You best remember who is the commander here because you have no right to make negotiations! The council will decide your fate. If you ask them nicely though, they may burry you all instead of burning you." With that I had a guard begin to escort him out.

"What about jus not drein jus daun?" Kane yells.

I raise my hand and the warrior lets him go.
I look Kane right in the eyes.
"It died the day Clarke took her last breathe."
With that Kane was dragged out, his fate in the hands of the ambassadors. I hold up my hand and all my warriors leave the room, allowing me time to myself. I look out the open window and let a tear travel down my cheek.
"May we meet again" I say before wiping the tear and begin to ready myself for the council.

I leave the room and allow my people to set up for the council. I begin to walk to my bedchambers to allow the ambassadors time to speak among themselves before I come in. I walk in my room and hear a crash from along the hall coming from the guest quarters. I lower my head to one of my guards.
"Go figure out what happened and report what you know about the prisoner."
He nods and leaves.
I enter my room as though nothing happened. I walk over to my table and pull out Clarke's drawing of me.
"I'm sorry Clarke, but this has to be done." I tuck the drawing away into one of my pockets. I go to my window and hope Clarke can forgive me for what is to come.
Death is not the end.
I leave my bedchamber and stand in front of the guard I sent down the hall.
"They say the prisoner has made quite the mess in the room, but neither warrior will say who it is."
He says making sure no one can overhear us.
"Warrior?" He nods. "What clan do they come from?"
"Trikru Heda." With that I nod and he'd down to the council. They'll surely reveal the prisoner then and if I'm right, Pike will suffer for his wrong doings.
I walk into the council room and see everyone's chatter dissolve into silence. I stand and look at every one of the Ambassadors making sure to make eye contact with each one particularly Kane. After I acknowledge each one I stand in front of my throne with Gaia to my right and Titus to the right of her. Gaia is the first to bow and soon after every clan does leaving King Roan and Kane standing.
They both look at each other for a moment before Kane sinks his knee and so does Roan. Do they have an allegiance against me? After the ambassadors bow warriors soon follow. I take note that only Lincoln is in the room while Octavia is not to be seen.
Strange they're never seen apart.
I take my seat and the ambassador of Sankru is the first to chime in.
"How can you let this traitor into this sacred space?" He hissed implying Kane.
"They killed 300 of our people, warriors and not, and you allow them safe passage?" The Delfikru ambassador complained.
After that everyone began staying their opinions on the matter and I was getting quite annoyed.
"Silence!" I shout and a hush falls through the room.

"Kane of Skaikru stand before your commander."
Confused, Kane walked until he stood in front of me. He had a look of defiance.
"Kane of Skaikru state your crimes against the Coalition to the council."
He looked at me then turned to the council.
"My crimes are many, but those towards this Coalition are few. I allowed an unfit man to lead. That is my crime. I refuse to take the responsibility of those who acted against our people's wishes and I refuse to send those who did to their graves."

"Who is this leader who overtook your power?" King Roan asked his voice booming.

"Pike" Kane asked unsure where this was leading.

"Then I say we take Pike and make him an example of disloyalty to this Coalition. That is if you want to stay at the 13th clan." He said almost hissing at the end.

"What about the rest in the group? It was not a one man job!" An ambassador cries out.

"I say we give the rest clean deaths, only give the influencer pain." I say.

Everyone talks amongst themselves before Kane breaks the whispers.

"We are the 13th clan! What happened to jus nou drein jus draun? We were given mercy for a peaceful treaty, not one that ends in war." He looked at all the ambassadors trying to persuade them. Finally, he looks at me.
"She would not have wanted this."
Then lower, "please Heda."

I take my eyes off of him and look at the leaders. All of them hungry for revenge.
"Ambassadors. What will be the punishment?"

"Kill them all."
"Take their leader as an example!"
"Make them wish they didn't betray us!"

Roan looks around then straight at me.
"Go to war."
Intrigued I reply.
"Explain."
"They came onto our land unprovoked. Trikru gave them the land they settled on as peace unannounced yet they were greedy for more. They kill us, rampage our villages, and yet they act as though they have the higher ground. They do not. They are dangerous and our generosity now won't be seen when the war begins." Roan looks angry as though they took something of his. Perhaps they had.

"I will not go to war Roan." I state.
"Then they will torment us until they are the last to survive."
Everyone nods in agreement.
Gaia leans down.
"Heda, he has a point, but remember you have the final decision. Don't let their vote out wager yours. You are strong Heda." She whispers.
My voice propels all focus to me.
"Kane I give you this last chance."
He looks back up to me.
"Bring me those responsible for the crime to be punished and we will allow you're people to live if not with repercussions, or you may refuse and we will go to war killing those whom we believe deserve it. Healers and mechanics will live, as well as children and those we give mercy to. Others won't be so lucky. Decide."

His gaze wanders around as everyone looks at him awaiting his response. He then locks eyes with me. Then to Lincoln.
Lincoln begins to leave the room before I call him out.

"Stop!" Lincoln holts and turns to face me.
"What is the meaning of this?"
I look at him and back to Kane.

"It's our treaty." Kane says apologetically.
Lincoln leaves to most likely fetch the prisoner as everyone stares in bewilderment.