Chapter 13

LEXA POV
I look down as Clarke settles into the chair next to me.
"So where were we?" I see the same glint in her eyes that I remembered, the only thing that seems the same about her.
Everyone silences and turns their attention towards her. I make the smallest smirk at the sight.
"We were discussing what to do about your attack on 300 of our warriors we sent to protect Skaikru." I say, my voice echoing.
"Lexa that was almost a month ago." I try not to look at her. I already know the look she's making, and I refuse to crack under it.
"Our terms have crumbled. Jus nou drein jus daun has aided no one. It crippled the day it began. I know it's been a while since you were here last so allow me to update you; either those who caused the massacre are given up to us or we will declare war on your people." This time I look at her.
Her eyes grow glossy yet her facade never breaks. We make eye contact and her face hardens. I don't know what look hurts me more.
"I will not give up my own people." Clarke says never breaking eye contact.

"I don't know if you were listening but you are not in the position to be making negotiations." Roan speaks up.

Clarke turns her body, seeming more comfortable in the chair, to face Roan.
"I don't know if you heard, but only a handful of my people killed 300 of yours. I don't think you'd want to go against our full army."
She speaks with so much strength, I almost envy it.

"Those warriors were asleep and injured! You have not seen the wrath of only one clan, let alone all 12." Indra hisses. I turn to face her and notice Gaia step off my platform to calm her mother.

"Oh but I have seen your wrath." Clarke replies blatantly.
"Do you not recall the fire we started killing 300 more of your people?" She says this so nonchalantly, it's as though she's turned into someone else in the past hours.

"Last I recalled most of your people were farmers, engineers, children, not warriors trained from their first steps." Roan booms.

"Well you haven't seen us in the last few weeks, a lot can change." At this point Clarke is standing, visibly angry.

"Enough!" I yell straightening my back.

"Clarke what do you propose should happen then, since you have so many threats." I stare her down.
She may be allowed to speak this way when we are alone, but not in front of the Coalition. She will not make me look weak in my own home.

"Well Heda," she spits, "I propose I leave to go see my people. I will tell them to stand down and that you are all friendly. In return we will deliver you Pike, the assassins leader."

Murmurs flow through the room.

"You expect us to take in one man for the price of 300?" I voice.

"For the price of war, I do because I believe you smart enough Commander to not lead your people to their deaths."
At this point I'm livid.

"We could imprison you all and send an army to wipe your people out yet you still make threats? Kane this is your last chance to make things right before chaos." Indra warns.

I look to face Kane. I had forgotten he was here. He looks at a loss for words surprised at what's been proposed. He steps forward.
"We will send the group who killed the warriors to you as a promise for peace. We will keep our lands and not go beyond. It will take time, but I believe we can still mend our relationship." Kane looks to me as the leader he is. He's thinking a lot more clearly than Clarke. Before Clarke can say anything the ambassador of Sankru cuts in.

"What about Wanheda? She should be finally killed. Take her power Heda and be done with her."

"I am the ambassador of Skaikru. You can't do that and I don't accept Kane's terms!" Clarke patronizes. Octavia moves to hold her hand but she yanks it out of her reach.

"Daxt, escort Wanheda to her room please." Daxt moves swiftly grabbing Clarke's arm.

"No, no please. Lexa. I have to be here, I have to protect my people!" She shouts. I inhale sharply at the sound of her plea.

"You will do them more good in your bedchambers. Maybe you will be thinking more clearly in the morning where we will discuss this further." I call out as she's pushed out of the room.

"Kane, will you please act as temporary ambassador?" I ask trying to cover up my emotions.

"Of course Commander." He quickly responds sitting in the seat uncomfortably.

"Would you honestly stay true to your terms?" I ask him.

"Yes, Commander. We've been fighting a wordless battle since we got here, and if this can solve it I don't believe we have any other choice." He says honestly.

"Very well, you may ride at sunrise to bring back the prisoners. We will have Indra approve that those you bring are the assassins. They will be killed for the pain of 300 deaths and only then will we both stand at peace."
I look around the room earning quiet agreements from everyone. My eyes waver on Kane. He's reluctant but eventually nods.

"What will we do of Wanheda? She's taken more life's then any known to man. Almost twice as much as the last Wanheda. She's caused more destruction than creation has been made."
Roan smirks knowing I have no say in her matters. My opinions will always be biased.

"We will discuss that with her in the morning." I clear my throat.
"You are all dismissed."
Everyone leaves, Roan wavering a bit, leaving only Gaia and I in the room.

"You did the right thing." She says softly as though someone may hear.

"How can you be so sure?" I question.

"Your people must be your first responsibility as Commander, yet as Lexa you will always choose differently. You must learn when to separate the two."
I look down to her letting my guard down.

"Why can't I be both?"

She steps up to my level and places a hand on my shoulder.
"Because you won't let yourself. A true commander wouldn't have as much compassion, mercifulness, or love in their heart as you do. All past commanders were hard on the inside and out. You show true strength on the battle fields, yet compassion at your village. You care for your people, for their safety and well being. You must compartmentalize to be able to rule, or else you will tumble to the ground like Tondc had." She looks at me dead in the eyes. "I know what happened that day. That was true compassion, that was Lexa. You let your self show and in return allowed 250 people to die. You regret that, and you always will, but you need to realize through compassion there is strength. You have to learn when to lead and when to love."
I take her hand off my shoulder and hold onto it.

"I wish you hadn't left the village so soon." I chuckle softly.

"If I had I wouldn't be here with you." She squeezes my hand. "Go to her."

I'm confused now.
"But I thought you said.."
She smiles softly.
"Just go."
I let go of her hand and leave the room on my way to Clarke.