Chapter 23

CLARKE POV
It's already sundown when we finish training. I'm sore beyond belief and have already started to see bruises blossom beneath my skin. I walk down hill feeling numb, almost falling flat on my face from small branches.
It's almost comical to hear my loud foot steps in an otherwise silent woods. The Nightbloods seem to find it funny aswell as they've begun to snicker at my state. They all are able to easily maneuver around without making a sound. Even Octavia has picked up this technique. I eye one of the younglings and nearly trip over a hole in the process. I can hear stifled laughing and immediately feel my face burn up.
Octavia walks up beside me, doing little to shield me from embarrassment.
"Having fun?" I sneer hating the attention.

"They sure are." She tilts her head back to the Nightbloods. One by one they whip their heads back to the leading Natblide as if they weren't staring at me. I kick a pebble in their direction and they all look back at me. I smile and kick another. They soon start kicking a rock amongst each other up until Gaia scolds them. I've never really seen children so sophisticated yet childish. I only wish they could have a normal childhood.
A chill goes through my spine as I realize this place is all that most of them remember.

"When are they taken from their families?" I whisper to Octavia softly.

"Every five years men are sent to each village to find Nightbloods. They prick each child on the finger. Those who are of black blood are brought here and trained."

"Some are taken at 5 years old?" I look at the forest disgusted. Five years old is enough to remember, enough to know it's wrong.
"How do you know this?" I question.

"I was curious about their culture as well. You have to realize this is their tradition, their way. I know Lexa cares about you, but don't expect her to change the ways of her people because of your own opinions." She looks at me directly, urging me to see her side.

"How can Lexa just watch those kids kill each other?" I snap back softly.

Octavia looks at me solemnly.
"She won't be alive to see it."

We're silent the rest of the walk back, Octavia retreating to Lincoln's side. I try to watch my steps, but it's difficult with my heavy limbs. I've tripped once or twice, but from the look I give no one dares laugh. One of those kids would be her replacement, or Ontari if Lexa's spirit isn't as strong as she claims. I doubt her spirit will have any consolation in the process. How can she be so fine with that?

I sigh looking back to Lexa. She's been directing the Natblides, but every now and then catches my eye looking at me concerned. I give a small shrug to show I'm fine, but then again I've never been good at hiding my emotions. She nods to Gaia, who takes Lexa's place, and walks up to me slowing her pace to mine.

"Is everything alright?" She looks at me like I'm a toy that needs fixing.

"It's fine Lexa." I try to shrug her away.

"Clarke you can't lie to me. What's wrong?" She says strictly.

"Those Nightbloods are going to kill each other one day. Kids all fighting to the death, and you're just going to smile at them while they train? Friends put up against each other with no say for their feelings." I try to speak, not showing how repulsing I think it is.

"I'm sorry Clarke, but it has been like that for decades if not centuries. I know you may not understand, but only one of them can succeed to the flame. Hopefully at that point they won't be children." She smiles softly just for me.

"Why do you keep doing that?" I state.

"What?"

"You always speak of your death as if it's the next point in life." I look away focusing on walking.

"I apologize. I guess I've never truly talked about something in the future besides war and the Nightbloods. Not in a long time." Her words are truthful, yet carry a venomous sting.
She doesn't have to say anything else for me to know she speaks of Costia. I haven't heard anyone else say her name, even with her status to Lexa. It's as if she's been forgotten. By all except the Commander.

"I'm sorry about making you bring her up." I mumble feeling awful.

"That's not what I'm sorry about." She says her emerald eyes catching mine.
I advert my eyes to Lincoln and Octavia stopping in front of us. I feel a blush creep to my neck. I try to play it off as sweat. By the time I've tried covering up my emotions, Lexa has already gone full Commander leading the Newbloods to the tower.
I take the break in bliss and gulp down water from my canteen. Once I finish Octavia catches my attention leads me through the marketplace. I follow a good 10 feet behind taking the city in awe. I don't even realize they've stopped until I bump into Lincoln's back.

"Sorry." I mumble stepping back. We're at a small shop
with a kind looking lady in the front of it.

"Lincoln." She smiles bringing us into the shop.
It's a small room filled to the brim with clothes. It reminds me of stuff I'd find in the villages I went through, but it has a sense of ranking around it. I guess everything's aimed more towards the Ambassadors. Octavia aimlessly grabs shirts and pants passing them to the lady. Lincoln takes a couple coins out and hands them out onto a counter.
"Sure that's enough?" I laugh to Octavia.
"Probably not." She remarks handing them all to me. She looks around and puts a bottle of soap into the pile as well tossing a coin into the air.
"What's this all for?" I ask puzzled.

"For you. For what I've seen you only own two outfits, and that soap is for your hair. Use as much as you'd like." I take the hint and push a strand of hair behind my ear. I huff taking the clothes and exiting the shop, Octavia on my tail.
"Leida Nomi!" Lincoln replies lowly before he meets us.
(Goodbye Mom)
Octavia looks at him with raised eyebrows.

"She raised me as a child after my mother died. She used to live in my village till she came here." He explains. I begin to walk back to the castle arms full when Octavia steps in front of me.
"O what is it.." I look at where her focus is pointed to and see a group of warriors staring at me.

Lincoln wordlessly communicates to Octavia and she begins pushing me in the opposite direction.

"We are going to take the long route back to the tower. If anything happens, Clarke you run." He hands me a blade but I turn it away. I lift my shirt to show a blade pressed against my side in a sheath.
He nods and begins leading the way. I start to hear soft foot steps from behind and try to turn before Octavia stops me.
"Run when I pull out my dagger." She whispers.
I nod, heart pounding.
Lincoln takes a misstep and almost like a signal Octavia pulls out her blade.
I drop everything and run into the denser part of the woods. I try to hide from the attackers and crouch behind a thick tree stump. I can hear the clash of blades, but the footsteps have stopped following me. I take a breath of relief choosing to wait it out.
The suns completely down and the faint moon is all that lights up the trees. I walk down towards where I think is the tower and try to stay low. I'm almost at the entrance when I hear a snap of a twig behind me. I turn quickly only to see my mom.
I rush up and give her a hug, thankful to be safe.

"Sweetie what's wrong? I heard you didn't make it to the tower and came to check in on you." She looks at me worried.

"Where's Lincoln and Octavia?"

"In the medical room. They came in with cuts and a loss of knowledge." She looks at me remorseful.

I pause taking in her statement.
"Mom that could've only happened with our technology." I state.
"How could they have gotten our medicines?" I ask.
She pulls me into another hug then whisper in my ear.
"I'm sorry." I feel a sharp pain in my neck before everything goes dark and I fall into her arms.