Chapter 18

ABBY POV
The sun was just rising as I rushed into the commander's tower. The whole city was cold as though they were all afraid of one another. If I wasn't in such a rush I would've tried to ask someone what had happened. The only words we had gotten from Kane was to meet him there.
The warriors at the front doors don't even acknowledge me, they only look to the warriors behind me, I don't mind I just wanted to see my girl. I'm not even sure where I'm going until I see a door with two Sentries guarding it. Of course she's been held against her will. I push through them and open the doors.
I look down to see Clarke sleeping in her bed.
"Oh Clarke." I run up to her bedside and hold onto her hand.

She stirs a bit before waking up. She almost jumps at the sight of me.
"Mom? I thought you wouldn't be here for a couple of hours."
I can't tell if she's mad that I'm here.
"I know, I came as soon as possible. I got Kane's letter and I'm going to get you out of here, but first what happened here?"

"Mom I can't leave."
She looks at me as though I should already know this.
"They're holding me, Wanheda, here as justice for my crimes." She says softly.

I hold her hand tighter between both of mine.
"Clarke those deaths aren't on you. You were forced to do that to protect your people, to protect me." I insist.

"It doesn't mean I didn't kill them Mom." She says softly.

"We'll figure out a way out of this. We could threaten them, or try to renegotiate." Clarke cuts me off.

"The deals already been made."
I look at her shocked.
"Kane agreed to give them the group of assassins and in return Skaikru will live at peace. They may not go to war, threaten the Coalition, or harm anymore grounders. You must also give them half of your firearms. I as Wanheda must stay here at the capitol as Skaikru's leader and their prisoner."
She says this all like a script.
I'm at disbelief.
"Kane agreed to this, are you certain?"
She inches away from my touch, her face hardening.
"It's been done to stop a war." She states.

"Did the Commander want this." I say coldly.

"Mom, Lexa did everything in her power to keep me from being killed. It was the King of Azgeda who made it worse."

"How can you be so sure? I know that man allowed his mother be killed to succeed to the throne." I scold.

"Lexa would not do that to me Mom, she's not like everyone else. She's special." Her eyes burn my own, pleading me to understand. Clarke feels for her. She feels for the Commander who's poisoned her brain.

"Oh, I'm sorry for bothering you." With that I leave the room heading for Marcus.
It takes a couple servants and a young girl named, Gaia, to lead me to Kane's room.
I knock once then proceed to let myself in. I see Marcus eating his breakfast at a small table along the wall. He looks up to me relieved.

"Abby it's good to see;"

"Shut it Marcus." I reprimand.
"How did you let Clarke be taken prisoner here? You know as well as I do, the second she's ill valuable they'll have her head." I hiss.

"I'm sorry Abby, there's nothing I could have done. Clarke went berserk threatening everyone the first meeting she attended. I had to break my back to keep them from a war with us. No matter what I said on behalf of Clarke they all agreed she had to be punished."
He consolidates.
"It's the least that could've happened." He assures.

"Clarke is being held a prisoner and you say it's the least?" I'm furious at him.

"Abby, Clarke has killed hundreds of grounders, mountain men, human at her own hands."

"That doesn't sound right, Clarke only did what she had to." I mumble.

"Nevertheless Clarke is here now, and this is the only place where she'll be most protected. Abby I won't let anything happen to her." He holds onto my shoulders, stabilizing me.

"What do you mean, you'll protect her." Is be being taken hostage as well?

"I'm to stay here as Ambassador of Skaikru." He says solemnly.

"You're leaving me to lead our people. Marcus I can't do this alone." I've lost everyone I love to this stupid tower.

"I'll visit as often as I can and once Clarke gains their respect back, I'll be back to Chancellor as soon as possible." He assures me leaning in to kiss me on the cheek.

"Now there's a meeting about to take place, why don't you join me." He softly smiles. I nod and follow him out his room to the hallway.