Chapter 22

CLARKE POV
I pick up the staff and stand.
This should be a long day.

I try to square my feet and hold tightly onto my weapon.
Almost immediately I've done something wrong as Octavia comes to correct my stance.
"Feet wider, stay low to the ground. Don't keep your back straight up."
I huff as she moves me into position.
"Better?" I ask.
"Ehhh." She snarks and walks back to watch.

"You've been through enough to where you must know how to do something," Lincoln looks from Octavia back to me. Both of us know I have had no training what so ever. Sighing Lincoln comes close, suggesting he be the dummy.
"Ok... let's just start off easy. I'm going to attack then you block, then you attack and I block.
Same pattern; no changes alright?"
I nod uneasy.
I hold onto the staff with both hands. I can see my knuckles turning white from my grip. Lincoln leans forward slowly and raises the staff near my neck. Out of instinct I raise one of my hand to grab it.
I hear Octavia giggle.
"You lost your hand." Lincoln sighs. I try to look confident, but I have no idea what I'm doing.
I nod and we begin again.
I take my staff and aim towards his leg. He extends his weapon downward so quickly my staff falls out of my hand in contact.
"You're holding onto the staff too hard. Loosen your grip."
I nod and pick it back up.
We go through the same movements until Lincoln seems satisfied I won't die on stage 2.
He nods to Octavia and hands his staff to her. I take a gulp of air, trying to catch my breath. She raises the staff and before I know it I'm on my back.
"What was that for?" I groan sitting up.
I can hear the Nightbloods laugh at my fall. I turn to see Gaia reprimanding them. My cheeks turn hot as I stand my ground.
She lunges and jabs me in the side.
"Dead." She states.
I take a step and stick my staff to her gut. At the last moment she ducks and in return nails me in my gut.
"Dead"
She twirls the staff around both hands, swinging it towards my neck. I quickly leap and take this opportunity to bring my staff around her legs and yank. She falls onto the ground with my staff pointed to her neck.
"Dead." I say gasping for air. She kicks her leg out and soon I'm lying on the ground next to her.
Lincoln walks over to both of us lending a hand.
"Not bad." He says. I smile at his compliment. I may not be a prodigy, but maybe I'll be able to keep myself from being killed now.
We all take a break with the new bloods snacking on dried meat and cheese.
"Clarke why don't you try to train with the Natblides?" Gaia asks.
"I don't think that's wise."
I quickly say.
"I haven't even been promoted to blades. Plus I'm twice their height." I insist.
"Don't worry we won't hurt you." I hear a young girl say.
They all laugh as I turn red.

"She'll do it" I hear Octavia answer for me.
I scowl at her before looking back to Gaia.

"Dake you're up first with Clarke."
I look around and notice everyone's watching. I feel my nerves twitch. He's just a kid, I can't hurt him.
Gaia nods to both of us then throws two staffs in the middle  of the arena.
"Start!"
I rush up and grab the staff quick to regain my composure.
Dake is the first to make a move as he charges for me. I'm quickly swept off my feet as I dodge him. He's pinned me and has his staff to my neck. I try to push it off but he's almost as strong as me. I take all the strength I can muster and push him off of me still holding onto his staff. I throw his staff outside the circle and do the same with mine. I'm more used to hand and hand, let's see if he is. I can tell, from looking at him composure, that he's uncomfortable without a weapon. He makes a quick move driving his fist to my cheek. I barely move letting him hit me in my jaw. I stand in a defensive position not wanting to fight back.
"I'm not going to hurt him." I yell to Gaia.
"Then he'll hurt you!" Octavia shouts before I'm pummeled to the ground. He's standing over me as I kick his legs out. I grab onto his arm and twist it behind his back. His legs kick out trying to find a target, but to no avail he gives in.
I can hear everyone cheering.
"I'm done!" I yell letting go of him.
He hurries back into the group of Natblides who are laughing at him. I feel bad for him and bring over a wet clothe.
"Here." I say quietly before heading towards Octavia and Lincoln.
"Happy?" I scoff.

"Actually I am. Almost thought he had you there." Octavia smirks.

"Please he's just a kid. I didn't want to actually hurt him." I say.

"Clarke those kids are being trained to kill each other." I look at Octavia. It had completely slipped my mind while I was here.
"I hope that doesn't happen soon" I reply getting water.
A figure stalks behind me as I refill my canteen with fresh water.
"You did well back there."  I don't have to look to know it's Lexa.
"Thanks." I smile looking to her.
"It might help to train with those your own height though." She chuckles.
It's strange to see her so happy here.
"I'm still training with Octavia and Lincoln." I assure her.

"Maybe you could train with me?" She asks not bothering to hold up her mask to me.

"It might be wise to wait a bit as I'm barely off of staffs." I joke.
"It would be easier if I helped." I could see how much she wanted to spend time with me.

"Maybe tomorrow." I say, a small grin playing on my lips.

"Maybe tomorrow." She replies with a smirk clouding her eyes.
Her posture straightens but her lips show a soft smile as she looks back to the Nightbloods. She gives them a nod and they split up into trios. She looks carefree as she critiques them. It even looks like she jokes with a couple of them. I
turn my head away shuffling back to the clearing, my stomach filled with butterflies.

The Commander and The GirlOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara