Chapter 16

Riley's POV

After a long weekend of working at the cafe, it is Monday again. I walk down the stairs in a casual school outfit, and make my dad's breakfast. Moments later, he comes trudging down the stairs and to the kitchen.

"Morning sweetheart." He yawns.

"Morning." I say as I set a plate of food infront of him. I grab my bag from the corner and peck my dad's cheek.

"Bye." I say.

"You're going already? You haven't even eaten!" He says.

"Not hungry." I shrug. He chuckles.

"Say, is James picking you up?" He asks. I scoff.

"Doubt it." I mutter as I race out the door. To my surprise, James is standing in my driveway, leaning against his truck. He looks up and smiles when he see's me.

"Hey babe." He calls out.

"What are you doing here?" I ask as I approach him.

"What, a guy can't drive his beautiful girlfriend to school?" He asks, leaning in for what I asume was a kiss, but I back away.

"So, I'm your girlfriend now?" I ask, raising my eyebrows and crossing my arms. He chuckles.

"C'mon Riley." He says, opening the passenger side door for me to get in, but I don't budge.

"I'm not getting in until I know what we are." I say firmly. He sighs and leans against the truck again.

"Riley look. You think I'm a player, but I'm really not." He says.

"How can I be so sure?" I ask.

"Riley, just give me a chance." He says. I still don't budge.

"I know you want to." He says with a smirk.

To be honest, I want to. I want to feel his strong arms wrapped around me. I want to bury my face into his chest as we watch scary movies together late at night. And I want the feel of his soft lips pressed against mine as I feel sparks shoot through my body. But that's just like a dream. And even if all that does happen, it won't last long. But there is still something deep inside me that still wants to live those moments and savour them, even for a little while.

"You want to date me?" I ask. He nods.

"Yes, Riley, yes!" He says hopefully. I smirk.

"Then prove it." I say. His face drops a little.

"What?" He questions.

"You heard me. If you want me so bad, then you're going to have to prove it." I repeat smugly. I smile innocently.

"Well, can't be late now can we? Let's go!" I say happily and get in the truck.