Chapter 44

James's POV

I carefully close the door behind me, and turn around, ready to make a mad dash up the stairs before I'm caught.

To late.

"James Kennedy! Where were you last night?!" She bellows.

"Not here." I reply and start my way to the stairs. She grabs my arm and hauls me back.

"James, my patience are running very thin with you. Now, I'm giving you one chance. Where were you last night?" She asks once again.

"I stayed at Riley's for the night." I reply. She lets out a huff.

"I see." She replies .

"Well, if were done here, I'm just going to head up to my room." I say slowly, and slowly creep towards the stairs, waiting for her objection. She remained quiet.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Riley's POV

"What's in the bags?" Emily asks the minute I walk in the door. Trust my sister to hound me.

"Clothes." I reply.

"Where'd they come from?" She asks.

"James took my shopping." I tell her. She raises an eyebrow in surprise.

"Really?" She inquires. "And he seriously bought all this for you?" She asks, poking through the bags.

"I didn't want him to, but he insisted." I tell her.

"Wow Ri. You got a keeper." She laughs.

"He picked out the clothes too." I say.

"And he got good taste too." She chuckles.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"Emily told me that you went shopping after school." Dad says.

"Yeah, James took me." I mumble.

"And he paid for all your stuff too?" He chuckles.

"Yeah, he did." I reply.

"He really must like you." He says. A word in that sentence made me think for a minute.

"I'll be right back." I tell him, getting up and I walk to Emily's room.

"Can I talk to you about something?" I ask her, walking in and sitting on her bed.

"Sure, what's up?" She asks. I sigh.

"Is it weird that James never told me he loves me yet?" I ask.

"Well, you haven't been together that long, so not really." She tells me.

"I know. But he always tells me he 'likes' me." I tell her.

"What do you mean?" She asks.

"Well, in situations where you'd think he would say I love you, he says I like you. Like, 'All that matters is I like you', or 'I like you, that's all that should matter'. Stuff like that." I explain to her.

"He's probaly just scared." She tells me. "Love is a strong word Ri. He's probaly just scared to admit that he actually has strong feelings for you."

"Maybe your right." I mumble, trying to convince myself of the matter.