Chapter 66

James's POV

I rush down to the cafe as quick as I can. I'm not sure if my plan will work, but I'm willing to do it if it will.

"May I help you?" One of the waitresses asks me.

"Yes. Can I speak to your manager please?" I ask. She gives me a puzzled look but nods.

"Follow me." She says. She leads me to the back of the cafe and taps a woman on the shoulder.

"This man would like to speak to you." She says. The manager nods and the girl walks off.

"What can I do for you?" She asks.

"Can we speak in private please?" I ask. She nods and leads me to a small storage space.

"Now what do you need to discuss with me?" She asks.

"One of your employees, Riley Marin?" I inquire.

"Is there anything she did wrong? I'll talk to her as soon as-"

"No, no. Nothing like that. I'm her boyfriend you see." I explain. She smiles lightly.

"Oh, so you're James. Riley talks a lot about you." She says. I try to hide my embarrassed smile as I continue.

"Look, Riley is really sick but she really needs to get her hours in for this week so she will be able to get paid." I explain.

"I understand, but what does this have to do with you?" She questions.

"Is there any way that I can work Riley's shifts here until she's better? You know, work all her hours for her and than she gets paid?" I ask nervously. The manager thinks for a moment.

"I don't know..."

"Please! I really need to do this for Riley. Please." I beg. She sighs.

"I never thought a boyfriend would go through so much trouble for a girl." She says. I smile sheepishly.

"Alright. Starting this afternoon, you will start working every one of Riley's shifts." She announces.

"Thank you so much!" I exclaim. "Oh, and please don't tell Riley. I want it to be a secret."

"Got it." She says. I start to walk out the door before I quickly turn back.

"Wait." I say. "What do Riley say about me?"

"Just what an amazing boyfriend you are." She says smiling. I smile back.

"Okay thanks." I reply and walk out.