Chapter 84

James's POV

By the time the game was over, Riley had moved to the other end of the couch and hasn't said a word to me. I reach over and poke her in the side. She looks at me but then looks down at her phone again.

"Whatcha doing?" I ask. I lean over and practically lie on top of her.

"Nothing." She says, putting her phone back in her pocket.

"What's wrong? You look upset." I inquire.

"Well you were ignoring me." She mumbles, taking out her phone again.

"I was?" I ask.

"Yeah, you were." She says sharply.

"Oh, I'm sorry." I say.

"Whatever." She mutters.

"I said I was sorry. What else do you want from me?" I ask through gritted teeth.

"Look, you asked, practically begged for me to come over and than you ignore me to watch a hockey game." She argues.

"First of all, I didn't beg you to do anything! And second..." I yell loudly, but trail off as tears begin to well up in Riley's eyes.

"Riles, babe, baby, calm down. Don't cry." I soothe, quickly grabbing her and pulling her into my arms.

"I...don't like it...when you yell at me." She mumbles into my shirt.

"I know. I'm sorry." I say softly.

"I just wanted to get your attention. And you pushed me away." She whispers.

"I'm sorry." I repeat. There's a moment of silence before she finally says,

"It's okay."

"Hey it's getting late. How about we go upstairs, cuddle up in the bed and find a movie to watch?" I suggest. She looks up and smiles genuinely at me.

"I'd like that." She says.