Chapter 25

Ross's POV

The cold room was silent apart from the snoring of my companions. I couldn't fall asleep, all I could think of was what I saw in the cafeteria, I never wanted to see him again. The man that I fell in love with. The man that made me happy. The man that made me feel safe. The man that made me broken today. Why did I allow myself to love him? To love a man who just wanted to play with everyone's heart strings? I bit back tears of distress as I rolled onto my side until I was facing the stone gray wall.

My ears drooped as I continued to think of Max. For the first time in my life I finally understood those students who wanted to keep away from everyone. Those students who wanted to hide in the bathroom to cry in the stalls. Those students who had cuts bearing deep into their wrists. For the first time I understood how much love could actually lead to heartbreak. I mean I fell in love before but, the people I loved before Max did not seem to share the sparks that we did.

I was about to cry when I heard Gary moan from the bed a few feet over. I quickly bit my lip as and closed my eyes. I did want Gary to know how I felt. As I continued to listen I heard Gary curse under his breath but it was inaudible to hear if he said anything else. Before I knew it, Gary fell back asleep.

I sighed as I leaned against the paper-thin bedsheets. I should of fallen asleep by now but I can't stop thinking about him. Suddenly the room around me darknened, I clung onto the bedsheets but it was no use. In a matter of seconds I found myself in a dark cavern. The carven had a waterfall at the end of it that connected to two small streams that seemed to continue on forever.

Suddenly a woman walked out from the waterfall. She looked around the ages of 60-70, her skin was wrinkled with age and bags hung under her eyes. She had light tan skin along with blonde hair but the thing that made my heart jump in fear was that the womans eyes were white. Whiter than the snow in winter.

"Who are you? What do you want from me!" I screamed as I looked the woman in the face. Freckles danced around her nose almost like someone dumped a bottle of pepper on her nose.

The lady simply smiled at me for a moment before motioning for me to follow her, I hesitantly looked behind me, expecting an escape but instead there was nothing. I sighed knowing that I had to follow her.

I was about to take a step forward when I froze, what if she hates hybrids? What if this is a trap? I glanced back up at the lady who was still motioning for me to follow her, I sighed and looked up, she is just an elder, there is no way she could bring any harm to me...right? I shook the thought away as I hesitantly stepped forward. My ears were against my head as my tail twitched nervously but I continued to walk forward.

Once I reached the side of the waterfall, I realized that there was about a 3 foot gap that the water wouldn't reach, I looked back up at the lady who stared at me through the gap. I sighed as I began to walk through it, the water brushed against my arm as I walked over to her. However as soon as I reached her, my eyes lightened in astonishment as I found myself looking into what appeared to be a smaller cave.

I mean the cave wasnt the best part but, according to my surroundings it looked as though she had been living here, a small pile of stickswas in the middle of the cave, the pile of sticks had ashes surrounding it, which told me that the woman had made a campfire only a couple of hours ago. A small blanket sat beside the pile of sticks.

"Whoa, how long have you been living here?" I asked as I spun around to meet the old lady's eyes but I paused mid-step when I realized that she wasn't an ordinary person, ontop of her head she wore doe ears along with a tail. She smiled at me as I watched her in shock.

"I figured that you wouldn't feel as uncomfortable if I had my hybrid form out."

"What happened to you!?" I found myself asking as the old lady simply giggled at me.

"Same thing that happened to you, I guess we should start off with introductions. My name is Sylvia Marie, and I was kidnapped by the leader when I was only 10 years old."

"Is Mr. Galebread 100 years old or something!" I found myself saying, Sylvia shot me a small grin and I realized what I said, "Oh no I mean-"

"Don't worry yourself kiddo. I was kidnapped by his father, anyways I died trying to escape the hell-hole that he calls his laboratory." Sylvia sighed as she sat down on one of the blankets, she twitched her ears as if motioning for me to sit down across from her. "Anyways, I've been watching you, Ross."

"You've been watching me! Is there a camera here? Wait is this supposed to be heaven!"

"Oh silly me, I forgot to add on why we are here. Well as I was trying to escape I began to burry under the laboratory, I suddenly found this place but my entrance caved in, leaving me alone to die here. As soon as I disappeared, Mr. Galebread's father went insane, he burned his old laboratory and the 'experiments' with it. The two family members sadly took their research out before the fire started. And well, since then I could never get to where the afterlife are supposed to rest peacefully."

"How long have you been down here?" I gasped as I looked Sylvia into her blank white eyes.

"That is for another time my boy." She smiled as she slowly shut her eyes. Suddenly her eyes burst open and the whites in her eyes burned brighter almost like a forever burning fire. "A girl whose eyes are bright as the oceans themselves will break apart ginger and squirrel by using the worst method possible." Slyvia closed her eyes once more before she turned to look at me, "anyways my boy you should head back."

I looked at her dumbfoundedly and I wanted to ask her about the message. I wanted to know what it meant but the room darkened once more until suddenly I could see light. A pink fire surrounded me as I looked around my surroundings, I was in what looked like a chapel which was strangely unusual. Flowers dotted every corner of the place and chairs that sat in rows lined but to meet an archway of flowers.

Underneath the archway sat Max, he wore a black turtleneck along with a light blue tie that hung around his neck. His fluffy ginger hair was unnaturally slicked back for once. People that I have never seen before sat in everyseat until finally I noticed famiur faces, it was my friends, but not only that Max's mom?

I turned my gaze away as bells rang into the air, Suddenly the crowd got up and I realized that Max's eyes shone with excitement, his dark brown eyes looked ready to explore the entire world in just one day. I turned my gaze to where everyone else's rested and I frowned in dissapointment.

Instead of anything happening, snow began to fall from the celing. Max looked happily at the snow but as I turned to look at my friends I could detect a hint of anger in their eyes. Suddenly the room around me froze as a voice began to almost roar in the air, "Before the snow can take away the Ginger. The squirrel must find a way to defrost their love."

Credit
Mumford & Sons: The Cave