Smoking Mirrors

Chapter 12

Everyone was preparing to to save Scott and Kira from Mexico. Derek and I were preparing by getting every ounce of fire power, we had ready. I was wearing a black knit sweater light blue jeans and black combat boots. I cocked a gun checking for ammo while Derek leaned over the table. He let's out a sigh. “I still don't like relying on these things.” He states. I put the gun down. “If I was born a werewolf and then suddenly not, I would miss it too.” I reply. While checking another gun. “It's not about that, it's about being able to help. I don't like being helpless.” This makes me stop checking the gun and putting it down on the table which makes a thud. I look at him with a confused look on my face. He has never told me he has ever felt helpless this is Derek, at his weakest. This is when you know someone really trusts you. I've never even thought of Derek as helpless ever, even when he was handcuffed to a bench and didn't remember my name. I say something that I haven't said in about three months, I put my hand on his back. “You sound like Allison.” He snaps his gaze to me. “What?” He asks. “You sound like Allison.” I reiterate. He gives me a confused look. “She wanted to feel strong and she loathed the complete and utter feeling or thought of being helpless. But I told her she was wrong.” “What did you tell her?” Derek asks. “That as long as you stand up, and fight for the right reasons, you are never, helpless.” He looks at me with a small smile. I can be motivational sometimes. I give him a smirk. “And besides, I'm mostly human.” I hold up the gun. “Do, I look helpless?” I ask with a raised eyebrow. “You're a much better shot than me.” He replies with an amused look on his face. He then looks away from me and back from the table. I put the gun down, realization hit me like a freight train. “Do you really think you won't be coming back?” I ask my face trying desperately to hide the worry. He doesn't look at me when he answers. “Not alive.” Then I understood why he pushed me away so hard, it wasn't just to protect me, it was because he didn't want to be the thing that ripped me apart. Because him dying would be. Allison then Derek. I would lose it. I step closer to him my hand grazing his. My right hand still on his back. “You know I'm not okay with that, right?” I ask my voice having no other emotion than seriousness and a hint of pain.

He puts his hand on my waist and pulls me into a soft kiss both of us savoring, what might be our last kiss. It isn't intense just soft and filled with pain. He pulls away first, cupping my cheek and kisses my forehead, then resting his against mine. I keep my eyes closed not wanting to let go yet. He let's out a sigh. “I am. If it saves Scott and Kira.” That sends a weight dropping to my stomach. I pull away form his embrace with a hard look on my face. “I'm not letting that happen.” I say my voice thick with emotion but having a hard edge to it. “When are you gonna learn it's not your job to protect me.” He says his voice not hard like I thought it would be. “When are you gonna learn, I gave up caring about me, a long time ago.” “Em-” I cut him off. “And what about you? You think Scott would be okay if you died?” I 0ask. “Am I interrupting something?” He asks, he knows damn well he interrupted something. I give him a death glare. “I mean I get that you two love each other but, God we both know that you two would fight and die for each other every single day. Pick a different topic of an argument.” He says giving me a look. “Why are you such a dick?” I ask sarcasm is deep in my voice. “I need to talk to you in private and if you could please leave the sarcasm down here.” I annoy Peter like it's my job profession. “I can't it lives in me.” I fire back. He rolls his eyes. “Just follow me.” He grabs my arm, not roughly just enough to tug me upstairs. I shot a look at Derek. “Get me a rape whistle.” I mutter.

Peter leads me out to the roof and like he knows that I'm about to rip someone's head off. Let's go of me and that's when I kick my foot into the door. Repeatedly. Then I slam my hands into the door. Why is he so okay with this? “You calm now?” He asks. I give him a glare that makes him rethink his comment. My hands start shaking again and I can't stop them. “Emily?” I let out a long breath. “You calm?” “No, I'm angry, because, he doesn't get it. Why in the hell is he so okay with dying? Everything is so screwed up!” I almost yell. Dad is MIA, Scott and Kira are with my nut job aunt in Mexico possibly dying, Derek is dying or is going to die and I can't do a damn thing to stop it. “Nothing is okay.” “Emily, you know that you can't change his mind.” “I know, he's a stubborn jackass.” “But that's not the only reason why, I brought you up here besides the fact that I thought you might try break something. Kate is going to there and you know who her first target always is.” “Derek.” I reply not facing him my body still shaking in rage. “You can't hesitate, she's not your family.” I scoff. “I've know that for almost two years and if she does go after Derek, I won't hesitate to blow her head off, trust me on that.” I calm down enough. “I need to go talk to Derek.” I open the door and walk down the stairs again. “You okay?” Derek asks. “Yeah, I'm fine.” I look over at the table and grab my katana and start wiping down the blade. I close my eyes. Boy was I lying through my teeth. Derek comes over and stands next to me. He wraps his arms around my waist and hugs me from the back. “To be honest, I don't even know if this is enough fire power to take down one Berserker.” He states. Peter walks down. “Not even close.” Derek and I roll our eyes. Yep, Peter annoys the crap out of us. “Could you at least try to be helpful?” “I'm just saying killing a Berserker is next to impossible. It's not just the firepower, it's breaking the animal spirit from the human.” “Well the one person we know with that kind of experience is Argent.” Derek stats. They both send me a look simultaneously. “And he's not getting back to me.” I state. “Well, the you're gonna need some help. Like Malia, maybe Liam. Definitely me.” Oh great who wouldn't want to cross the boarder with Peter? Note the amount of sarcasm.