Chapter 4

Lena's POV

I couldnt help but keep checking the time. I still had an hour before I would have to leave to meet Ms. Danvers. I turned around my seat to look outside to the city. It seemed as though everyone was still waking up. I smiled thinking about what Kara must be doing.

I nearly jolted at my thought process. I liked the reporter, sure, and I hoped that we might become good friends. Kara was the first to make me feel welcomed, and as though I wasnt alone, here in National City. I smiled and noticed that it was now time to go.

Have I really been thinking about her for that long? I shook my head at myself and stood up.

"Jess, I will be leaving for my meeting with Ms. Danvers now. I will let you know when I will be back later" I tell my assistant in passing.

My heart pounding, I made my way to the cafe to spot a familiar blonde.

"Hello Kara. How was your morning?" I smiled.

"Lena, hi! It was ok. Trying to finish an article, interview people for the next, try to meet deadlines, and try not to die" she rambles. I smile even wider at her flusteredness. "How was your morning?"

We made our way to an outside table and sat down. I didnt even care to look at the menu yet as I was.... distracted.

"The usual. Meetings, paperwork, phone calls, the never ending work of a CEO" I sigh.

"It will get better. You just have to look within you to see the bright side of things. I thought being a reporter was hard at first but then I saw what good it could do. Bringing the truth to the public. You do a lot of good, Lena. You donate to numerous organizations. You've built hospitals, police stations, houses. You've even built bus stops! So whenever you get down or stressed about work just remember that you are valuable. Dont let people tell you who you are just because of where you come from. I can see a light in you just as I had the day we met, and I know you will do extraordinary things with that brilliant mind." She pointed a finger to my head and I tried not to let my jaw hang. No one has ever spoken so highly of me. Not even my family.

"Thank you Kara. That means a lot to me. Now, what would you like to eat? I will be paying for today so dont hold back" I smiled.

"No Lena I couldnt. Only dates pay for me" she teased. I could feel my cheeks blush and I tried to hide it as best I could.

"Who is to say this isnt a friends date? Please, let me do this for your kindness."

"Ok ok. I'm warning you though I have a big appetite" Kara giggled.

"I'll buy the whole cafe if that's what it takes." I hadn't meant for it to sound so heavy, but I had meant it. This lunch is going to haunt me in my dreams.

Kara's POV

I couldnt stop smiling after my lunch with Lena. She really was different from her family. I only hoped that other people would feel the same way someday.

I made my way back to Catco only to be met with a screaming Snapper.

"These are all complete crap! Where the hell did you all go to school? Did you even go to college at all? And where the hell is Blondie!?" He yelled.

"Here sir" I said quietly.

"Where the hell have you been?" he growled.

"I was at lunch sir. With Lena Luthor" I added the last part in a murmur and felt my cheeks warm. It wasnt that I was ashamed, I just really didnt want to hear anyone talk badly of her right now.

"Well, since you're so close to her I need you to do another article. Find out who the hell this woman is and what the hell is her problem."

I simply nodded my head and quickly left the meeting room. I buzzed with excitement and sat down at my desk. This would mean more time with the Luthor. I mindlessly twirled my pen in my hand as I thought about those green eyes.

*****

I heard a loud explosion and immediately changed into my Supergirl outfit. My superhearing told me that the explosion had come from the direction of the L-corp building.

I raced through the sky and landed on Lena's balcony. Debris was scattered around her office and I cautiously stepped inside. I scanned the room with my xray vision for the woman but to no avail.

I was going to go further in the building when I heard something behind me. I spun around to see Lena wrapped in rope and duct tape on her mouth. Two men stood on either side of her.

"Hello, Supergirl. Glad our bait worked into getting you here. Now the real fun begins" one said menacingly.

They both hoisted Lena up and over the balcony edge and my heart stopped.

In a flash I was over the railing and praying to Rao that she wouldnt be hurt. I finally felt her weight in my arms and I took off into the night.

"Agent Danvers, I have Lena Luthor but there are still two men on the top floor" I said to my ear piece.

"We're on it Supergirl."

I flew off and landed in the middle of a field. I held my hands up to show I wouldnt hurt her. She seemed bewildered and uneasy after the flight. I tore off her ropes and gently took off the duct tape.

"Are you alright Le-Ms. Luthor?" I asked.

"I-I'm fine. Thank you Supergirl" she breathed. "I just dont like flying."

"Sorry for that. I just wanted to make sure you got to safety. Would you like me to call transportation for you? Since you dont like flying?" I smiled.

"No, dont go through the trouble. I just need a minute to get my bearings" she said.

"How about a walk?" I dont what possessed me to suggest such a thing but I found myself biting my lip in anticipation.

"That sounds lovely" Lena smiled.

We walked our own path through the field and I scoffed my boots against the ground. Lena walked on in silence.

"How are you liking National City?" I finally asked.

"I think it will grow on me. I've met a few nice people that have made me feel welcomed" I could see her smile in the pale moonlight and wondered who she was thinking about. I was almost jealous of this person. You dont know if shes your soulmate or not. My dream of Lena being my soulmate still knawed at me.

"I hope I can do the same. I understand the feud between my cousin and your brother but I hope I can stand out from my family like you can" I said softly.

"Well, rescuing me is a good start" she laughed.

I looked to her gratefully and we continued on in silence. I looked up to the moon that shown overhead and noticed that Lena was also looking.

"We should be heading back. I would hate to keep you up too late" I said softly. Something of a small frown was on her face.

"I guess we should. Thank you again, for saving me, and for this walk. It was nice to get away from the city" she smiled.

"Anytime. Although, maybe just not by flight next time" I joked.

I snaked my arms around her waist to take off and she pushed away from me slightly.

"Next time?"

Oh, Rao.