Chapter 16

Lena's POV 

I had hoped that my worry for Kara would stop, but that was far from the answer. Kara would sleep over my apartment fewer times and instead I would go to her apartment. Our upcoming wedding was now spread over National City and reporters had swarmed to get details on our sudden romance. I couldn't tell them of our soulmate bond and asked for privacy. I was uncomfortable with making our relationship a large media image. Our constant appearance in magazines and newspapers was almost overwhelming. Of course, as a Luthor, I showed none of it. My face remained unnerved of the attention and I merely smiled politely and declined their questions. Kara seemed to have a harder time of coping with the new attention. It hurt me to see her uncomfortable and wanted to protect her from the throes of fame. Though I'm sure she could literally throw them, I knew she was too kind to do so. 

My heels clicked against the floor of Catco's building and I made my way to Cat Grant's office. I knew that she had favored Kara after having her for an assistant some time ago. I entered her double glass doors and found the fellow CEO overlooking paperwork. I can feel her pain. 

"Miss Luthor, what a pleasant and unexpected visit. Something I cxan help with?" she smirked. 

"I simply wanted to offer you a proposition" I said, sitting down at one of her couches. 

"Oh? What kind of proposition?" she leaned over desk. 

"Exclusive information of my relationship with Ms. Danvers. You and you only, and you must ensure that my fiancee and I will not be swarmed by reporters. In fact I'm sure Kara could write it herself, with your approval" I wait for her response and she stares as if searching for something. 

"What you do in your relationship with my former assistant is none of my concern, but I will help with the later concern of yours. Any upcoming project that L-corp produces will be written and published by Catco. Consider it a trade seeing as Ms. Danvers has been more productive since you have been dating" Cat finally says. 

"Then its a deal. I appreciate your caring for Kara, and I hope our business will come together again" I smile, getting up from the couch. Cat waves me off, which irritates me, but I instead walk to Kara's office. 

I saw her with her tongue peeking from her lips in concentration as she typed. I walked to her side and kissed the side of her head that got me a sigh from her. I smiled and she turned around in her chair with an exhausted look on her face.

"Long day?" I questioned.

"Just a tad. Whatcha doing here?" she smiled. I leaned on her desk and smirked.

"Am I not allowed to visit my soulmate?" I grin. I saw a blush appear on her cheeks and she muttered a yes. "I thought tonight we should go out. Do something that isnt at home."

"Sounds good to me. I'll expect it to be late though" she teases.

"I dont have that much work and I'm not usually that late" I pout. She presses a kiss to my temple and I say my good bye.

*****

So far everything was going to plan. My dress was made and tailored, as was Kara's, and the venue was booked. In less than a week I would be a married woman. I smiled at the thought and continued to fold my laundry. Kara was out on an assignment and I decided to take a much needed day off.

I found several different Supergirl shirts, some of which were mine, and many more Star Wars clothing. I folded them and put them away as Kara liked them and went to put the basket back in the laundry room.

My phone began to vibrate and I saw that Jess was calling.

"Yes?" I answered.

"Miss Luthor. I am so sorry to call you on your day off but there is an investor here that would like to meet with you. He is only here for a short time and wont be available for long" Jess explains.

"That's alright Jess. I'll be there in about an hour so I can change into proper attire and be suited for the meeting" I respond.

"Yes Ms. Luthor. I will let him know."

Just when I thought I could get away.

I sighed and went to change into my business attire. It's not that I hated work, I just liked to act as a normal person every once and a while. I liked the real side of me that Kara brought out.

I walked into my office and waited while the meeting room was being prepared. I decided to do some paperwork and sat down at my desk.

After a while I wondered why the meeting was taking so long to start. As I walked to the door I heard a beeping noise and paused. After a moment I realized what it was and turned to sprint away from the source.

I felt the blast burn my back and I was unconscious for a minute. I looked around and saw ashes and fire around my office. Kara.

I ran as fast as I could out of the building and saw that my nightmare was coming true. I prayed that I could stop Kara in time before the end could come. I finally spotted her battling an android and I screamed her name. She turned momentarily to me and flung the android away. She landed in front of me and wrapped me in her secure arms.

"Lena! You have to get to safety. I'll hold them off until the DEO gets here" she said pulling away.

"No, Kara. You have to listen-" I tried to warn. She took off to confront another robot and was knocked down. I knew that my mother must be nearby and started to run where she had fallen.

My mother walked into the middle of the road and lifted the green glowing gun to Kara.

"Dont shoot her!" I yelled. Lillian had an evil smile on her face and pulled the trigger. I shoved Lillian away and officers in all black surrounded us. Tears streamed down my face and I hadn't a care in the world except that Kara would live. Her face had turned a deathly pale color and blood seeped from her wound. I held her close to me and buried my face in her blonde hair.

Please dont take my sunshine away....