Chapter 21

Kara's POV

After hearing about Lena's dream I was confused. Who the heck was Melissa? I continued to cook dinner while Lena was at Lcorp. Things at the DEO had settled down and Supergirl was getting a much needed rest. As I tasted the food to see if it was ready the front door opened. I listened for Lena's heartbeat and smiled when I heard it pick up its pace.

"Have I ever told you that you're really sexy in my clothes?" she murmurs. I feel her lips on my neck and I giggle.

"No, but your heart says everything. How was work today?" I ask. I turn off the stove and wrap my arms around her.

"It was decent. Some meetings, tons of paperwork and the constant missing of my wife" she smiled. I blushed and ducked my head down in shyness.

"Did you eat the lunch that I brought you?" I got a grimace from the woman in my arms and I placed my hands on my hips.

"Lena Kieran Zor-El! You cant work through lunches! We talked about this. I'm coming with you to work tomorrow. I have the day off and I'm going to make sure you eat. Now sit down so I can feed you" I scold. Lena walks to the table like a shooed away child and looks at me with those green eyes. "Dont give me those eyes. You broke our rule."

Lena huffs and stays quiet. I make some plates for us and put a little more on her plate than usual. Not as much as me of course since my metabolism is off the charts. I sit down and notice that she still hasnt said anything. I give a sad smile and rest my hand on her cheek. 

"I just want to take care of you. You know how protective I am" I murmur. Lena ducks her head away and mutters a response. I feel my heart begin to crack and try to think of a way to make it up to her. 

We finish our meal in silence and I wash the dishes. Lena disappears and the running water makes me have to use my superhearing. I try to zero in on her and finally find her heartbeat. It's a little faster than usual but what really catches my attention is the soft sobs. My chest breaks wide open and I speed my way to our bedroom to see her curled up on the bed. 

"Oh honey" I whisper. I slowly make my way to her and take her in my arms. I rub her back soothingly and gently rock back and forth. Her face is buried in her hands but I can still hear her soft sobbing and I'm beginning to panic. 

"Lena, Im sorry if I hurt you. I didnt mean to I just want whats best for you" I say softly. My wife suddenly springs up and away from me and her once sorrowful face is now reddened in anger. 

"Do not treat me as some child! I am a grown woman who does not need to be scolded or comforted as though I were five! Parents are the only people in the world that may use that line, not you. You may not have meant it but you still hurt me Kara. I need some space. I'm going to go to L-corp and work on my project some more. Ive already eaten now so you can be assured" she said the last sentence with sarcasm and I was shocked. Lena has never raised her voice at me... ever. Nor has she ever used that tone with me before.  I stay sitting on the bed and watch as she leaves. I lone tear escapes my eye and I slowly change into my Supergirl suit. As soon as Im ready I make sure Im far enough away from buildings before taking off with a bang. 

Lena's POV

I heard the sound barrier being broken and knew that Kara had also left the house. I knew Kara meant well but there were flashes of times with the Luthors that had surfaced that had brought the old Lena back for a second. The Lena that felt nothing, showed nothing, and cared for nothing.  After being hurt, I in turn hurt someone dear to me. 

I was frustrated and angry with the world I was living in the moment and made my way to my lab. I was working on a project for Kara and I. I had successfully made the birth control for us due to Kara's Kryptonian biology and wanted to expand on the topic. I was trying to develop baby things that would help if we were to have children later on. Seeing the pacifiers, diapers, crib, clothes, and toys made me breakdown again. 

When I was finished I looked back to my notebook. I was working on the next thing. A stroller. This stroller would in a way grow with our child. From infant to toddler, to child. I had to make some modifications than a basic stroller in case our child would acquire Kara's powers. This will help us keep them within the stroller and not fly away or break it somehow. I stared down at the design pages and sighed. It was a pointless and small fight but I still felt guilty and missed my ray of sunshine. I knew my sunshine was more like a thunder cloud at the moment but I would go through the turbulence for her in a heartbeat. I wasnt sure how long I continued to make several different models before I was fast asleep. 

*****

"Lena! Your report card came in! Get down here this instant!" I heard Lillian's voice yell from downstairs. I made my way down and stood in front of my mother at attention. "Straight A's in all but you did not get the club president for science."

"The students favored my classmate more, she won fair and square" I said reluctantly. I knew that if I got anything less than what was expected of me there would be consequences. 

"Have we taught you nothing? You are a Luthor act like one. A Luthor does not settle for anything less than the best, do you understand? I want you to write a three page apology to me and list the reasons why you did not succeed" Lillian growled. I dipped my head and headed to my room. 

I had loathed my childhood. It was hardly a childhood at all really. Reliving its memories was like having my heart broken over and over again. I was then in a dark room. No windows, no doors. Empty. Empty was feeling inside of me. I sat at the center and pulled my knees to my chest. I cried and I cried. I prayed that something would happen, that something would take me away from this place. This dark, evil, and sinister place. I noticed a ray of light coming from above me and I lifted my tear-stricken face to it. 

As I blinked my eyes open I realized what the ray of light had been. There stood my sunshine with her bright blue eyes full of love and kindness and her arms wide open. 

A/N: Not going to lie I cried while writing this chapter. Sorry for the bummer mood but lets see where this goes! I know Ive been kind of MIA as far as updates are concerned but Ive got MAJOR writers block. Anyway! I hope you are still enjoying the trash. I think Ill just can you raccoons? Idk. I'm open to any ideas you guys might have and hopefully have a new chapter soon! Thank you ❤