Chapter 15

Lena's POV

I waited for my mother to stab me. I could see the look in Kara's eyes and I felt tears well up in my own. I closed my eyes and felt a wind. No pain came but when I opened my eyes Kara's were glowing. Red. Her fists were clutched at her sides and dust swirled around her feet. I had never seen her like this.

"Let her go" a deep growling voice said. My mothers hold slackened and I broke free from her. A whirl of red and blue flew past me and my mother was being held up by Supergirl. A very angry Supergirl.

"Go ahead Supergirl. Prove to National City that you're not the hero they thought you were" my mother said in a choked voice.

Something clicked within me and I knew I needed to calm Kara down. I slowly walked over to her and gently placed a hand on her arm. Her attention snapped in my direction for a moment before returning to Lillian.

"Kara darling. I'm safe now. You can put her down. Everything is alright. You've caught her. Please, dont do this" I cooed in her ear. Her tense shoulders began to relax and she dropped my mother back on the floor. She tied my mother to a chair and the glowing in her eyes had lessened but weren't completely gone.

"Why dont we go home once the DEO gets here?" I ask. I was trying to get her attention off the situation and she finally locked eyes with me. I gradually began to see the blue eyed woman I loved and smiled. "Better?"

"I guess" she muttered. She seemed to get really tired and glanced at my mother again. I sighed wondering how I could help.

*****

I looked around me to see destruction. My office that was once white was now littered in fireballs and black with ashes. The floor rumbled beneath my feet and I sprinted to exit the building. People were screaming and crying as they ran away from Lcorp. I looked around as I went through the front doors and androids were destroying anything in their path.

A guest of wind went through me and I held my breath as Supergirl tried to stop one from stepping on terrified citizens. The droid fought back and threw a heavy hand in her direction. I stared frozen as I saw her body impact and leave an indent in the ground. She lay unmoving and my mother emerged from the shadows and smoke around the street.

I wanted to scream, beg, cry for her not to harm Kara. Nothing came out and as I took a step to run towards my sunshine, a shot rang out.

*****

I sat up abruptly in my bed, breathing heavily and cold sweat dripping down my forehead. Hot tears flowed down my cheeks and something shifted next to me on the bed.

"Lena? Honey, are you ok? What's wrong?" Kara's sleepy voice came. I practically tackled her into an embrace and sobbed into her neck.

"I just had a nightmare" I whispered. My sobs had subsided and Kara rubbed my back comfortingly.

"Do you want to talk about it?" She asked quietly. I shook my head and she shifted again.

I felt myself being lifted off the bed and I clung to her neck. I still didnt quite like flying.

"Let's go fly a kite" she whispered. She carried me to the balcony and we took off into the night air.

I had no idea what time it was and felt guilty for making Kara go through my weakness. We flew for a while before I felt her stop. A light breeze caressed my face and I peeked from her shoulder to see if we were back home. Instead I found ourselves at the top of a bridge overlooking the city. Kara placed me between her legs, sitting down, and pulled me to her front.

I spec of color caught my eye and a kite then flew out in front of us. I looked up to the green and blue toy dancing in the wind and smiled.

"Here" Kara murmured in my ear. She handed me the string and I felt quite childish, but relaxed.

I wasnt sure how long we stayed on top of the bridge flying a kite, but I knew deep in my heart that I would never let it go.

Kara's POV

It hurt me to see Lena in such a distraught state. I knew growing up in the Luthir home she probably didnt get to do a lot of things that kids should have done, so I got a kite. She finally relaxed and I took her back home to sleep.

I looked at my computer screen and dubbed my article done. I printed it out and saw that James was in my doorway.

"Can I help you?" I asked. I was still mad at him for what he said about Lena but I'm not the type to act like a jackass.

"I saw that you're getting married" he said simply. My nerves were immediately on edge and I fixed my glasses.

"Yes. Is there anything work related that you needed to say?" I sighed. I gathered my now printed article and made to walk out of my office.

"You need to be careful Kara. I'm not speaking bad about Lena because shes a Luthor but theres a package with that last name. You think that she wont hurt you, but her family can" he said. I bristled a bit but said nothing as I went to snappers office.

"About time I got your article. Next assignment is going to be on the latest celebrity and any dirt you can pick up. And Ponytail? Lighten up!" he grumbled.

I nodded my head and left. Honestly what is wrong with that man? I shrugged to myself and went back to my office.

"Knock knock" a voice said from the doorway. I looked up to see Alex with a box of donuts.

"Oh no. Not donuts Alex, you know I wont stop!" I smiled.

"That's exactly why I brought them. So, how are things? I know I see you at the DEO all the time but how about we have a sisters night?" She smiles.

"Sure, what did you have in mind?" I rested my chin on my hand.

"Kareoke night?" She grinned.

"You're on."

"You cant sing any NSYNC thiugh" Alex warned.

"Why not!"

"Because you literally sing that all the time anyway! Sing something else like Katy Perry or something" she shrugged.

"You're no fun" I pouted.

"Oh honey, I am more than fun" she smirked, taking a bite of donut.

I left the office early that day, donut in hand, and made a note in my calendar for Alex and I's sister night. When I got to my apartment and saw a vase of flowers on my table. I smiled and grabbed the card in front of it. It had the letter 'K' on the front and I opened it.

Kara,

Thank you for always being at my side. I will fly any kite with you at anytime again. I am so lucky to call you mine.  I love you more than you love potstickers. (Look in the fridge) I will see you soon my hero. Be safe and come back to me.

Lena Zor-El

I smiled down at my card and excitedly ran to the fridge. I squealed at the sight of potstickers and mentally made a note to make it up to her later.